Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Fei Bao MIG 15

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Fei Bao MIG 15

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 06:12 AM
K-A

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Fei Bao MIG 15

Any moore news of this aeroplane, anyone that has flown it, throws of the control surfaces and other experiences of the Feibao Mig 15, planning to get one for my Evojet Booster 130VX and use it on a grass runway all info of this Mig 15 is welcome

BRG K-A
Old 03-03-2011, 06:22 AM
ledd4u
My Feedback: (23)

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Guys will be doing the maiden Friday March, 4th. Got all ready checked all my gear, doors, C.G. at recomended 30cm. No nose weight needed. Marty, you finished the manual yet? I will take some video of the MIG-15. Wish me luck guys!!
Old 05-15-2011, 01:54 PM
ledd4u

ORIGINAL: p-hold

Had the first flight with the Mig yesterday which was successful. Plenty of power from the 120SX after a short take off run she broke ground needed down trim and a touch of left aileron trim for level flight. With sorting out the pitch and roll I left retracting the gear a little late and the mains did not retact properly, but it was not easy to observe this as the underwing tanks mask the legs quite well. Trimmed her for take off flap which needed a little less down trim and at full flap just a little down trim. CofG was at about 310mm and felt solid on the controls. There was quite a brisk cross wind and set up for landing with mid flap, turned on to finals a little high so carried a little excess speed but after one little skip she settled down on the gear with no fuss.
A few little jobs to do, increased the gear retraction speed on the UP3 valve. When inspecting the model after its flight I found the screw on one side of the nose wheel axel was missing, I even checked these to make sure they were tight. Fitted another and threadlocked.
Just need to wait for the next day with out gales and rain to have another go and be a bit more adventurous!

Phil
Did my maiden on Friday last week. All went well and actually almost identical to your post. My gear retracts fine on the ground but once in the air thats the end of that. Flew mine at half power for about 7 minutes. After I landed still had the main tank full!! I am going to install the BVM Hi Flow valve as recomended by several guys at the park. Over all very happy! Any updates on subsequent flights?
Old 05-16-2011, 11:32 AM
p-hold

ledd4u

Congratulations on a successful maiden flight, she is a very pleasent model to fly and sure you will enjoy flying her. The main gear has been problematic, never managed to get both legs up in 15 flights. Even seperated the u/c and gear doors, used a sequencer to give a longer delay but still no luck even at 150psi. The next thing I was going to try was removing the outer leg doors as a temperory measure until a solution could be found. But before this could be done fate dealt it a blow.
I increased power to execute a half cuban and found the model slowing in the vertical, she then stalled at about 150', got her right way up and wings level, motor then cut and then found myself a spectator. Impacted the grass a little distance away, looked in good shape apart from the rear fuselage drooping! She is one tough plane and lands quite well unaided! On examination the jet pipe had collapsed with the subsequent heat related damage. With the rear controls cabling shorting out the powerbox regulaters gave up the will to live and so control was lost. Got away with just a few creamated servos, air tanks and of course the powerbox.
The good news is that thanks to Martyn at Acejets, the UK disribuator for FBjets he secured me a replacement. I must also thank Feibao for providing it as other manufacurers would probaly not have been so accomodating and agreeable.
So hope to have No2 ready soon as it was shipped last week. Even added a landing light to the inlet ducting splitter to pass the time!
Have fun and if you manage a good fix for the u/c let me know.

Phil
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh14547.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	165.1 KB
ID:	1609704   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql33993.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	236.2 KB
ID:	1609705   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hn25538.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	124.8 KB
ID:	1609706   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fz74770.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	134.3 KB
ID:	1609707  
Old 05-16-2011, 11:44 AM
ledd4u

Sorry about that. How did you secure the pipe to the fuselage? Will you change the way you will mount the new pipe? My P-120 engine exhaust nozzle is about 1" 1/2 away from the pipe bellhousing. My pipe did not come with a bellhousing so I ordered one from Tamjets and secured it on. Don't see a bellhousing on your deformed pipe? I just ordered the BVM Hi Flow valve and will plumb all again. My gears work perfect on the ground but once in air they don't work. I might modify the air cylinders by drilling out the input nipple. I will figure it out I guess.
Old 05-16-2011, 11:56 AM
p-hold

The picture of the pipe is of the back end. I attached the pipe staps to the former and used the lower half of the bypass to also hold the pipe central. The distance of exhaust to pipe was 20mm. Have used this method successfuly in the past with my C&C models MB339 which is also made by Feibao and has had over one hundred trouble free flights.
Old 05-16-2011, 02:47 PM
RAPPTOR
My Feedback: (41)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WHAT IS HIGH FLOW VALVE?? FOR WHAT?/
Old 05-16-2011, 02:56 PM
ledd4u

Hi flow valve is a air retract valve BVM makes. Allows more air preasure to activate large retracts so they say. :-)
Old 05-16-2011, 03:01 PM
ledd4u

No bypass on my MIG, I took it out kept it simple. After my flight I checked the engine and it was cool to the touch. Good luck on your next one. Keep us Posted, I will fly mine soon after the mod.
Old 05-17-2011, 05:02 AM
RAPPTOR
My Feedback: (41)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

THANKS
Old 05-18-2011, 07:37 AM
ledd4u

catherine from Fei Bao jets informed me that the gear will never work. They are working on a solution but it will be an electric retract. How about that for customer service, can you believe it!!! Well I guess I will have to implement my solution again to problems that are not difficult to solve.
See below

5/18/2011

Because the retract not big enough, and the wings is thin, retract mount with angle not straight, so impossible to emlager or longer.

We are working with eletronic retract, if this project ready, mig-15 landing gear problem can fix.
Thanks!

Brg,
Catherine
5/18/2011

dont' think you can fix it, nor we are, because it can not install with bigger cylinder retract.
though we have bigger cylinder retract.

I think you have to fly it with gear door can not close for a while.

Catherine
Old 05-18-2011, 09:58 AM
p-hold

Leddu4u are they saying that the only option is to fly with geardown! Suppose I should not be shocked with all the vids that show models flying with the wheels hanging out. Did they give an indication as to when the new retracts would be available and will they be a free upgrade, or is that me just being silly!!
Did think of trying a set of Robart 635 low profiles on no2 plane. From the diagram they appear to have a slightly greater arm distance to try and lever 1lb of wheel and strut up.
Or other option read up on the JL Mig29 u/c traumas and give hydraulics a go.

Phil
Old 05-21-2011, 02:29 PM
ledd4u

p-hold you heard right, no support. I am working on a solution for my set up. They will not help you so forget about it. Nice jet, I was flying scale at half throttle and enjoyed the flights. The brakes work excellent and the retracts and cylinders do not leak so overall nice kit. I have been in contact with them for a while so will see what happens but don't hold your breath!
Old 05-21-2011, 11:46 PM
Vincent
My Feedback: (61)

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Why not install a helper cylinder like the comp arf Mig-15 has on the mains. It is a scale feature on the real one and would certainly correct the gear issue you guys are having.
Vin...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf10074.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	1612661  
Old 05-24-2011, 04:03 AM
ledd4u

Hey that's a great idea!! I wanted to make the fake cylinder and attach it to the retract to make look scale. I guess I can figure the geometry and make it work. What length of cylinder is used in the picture supplied? Thanks
Old 05-25-2011, 05:28 AM
Vincent
My Feedback: (61)

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

ORIGINAL: ledd4u

Hey that's a great idea!! I wanted to make the fake cylinder and attach it to the retract to make look scale. I guess I can figure the geometry and make it work. What length of cylinder is used in the picture supplied? Thanks
I don`t have the jet anymore but i believe it is a 4" up air piston. You just tap into the air lines feeding the gear. The comp arf gear did the same thing as your FB and this will solve the problems. Its not real hard to fit it and once installed there is no more adjustments.
Vin...
Old 09-10-2013, 07:17 AM
essyou35
My Feedback: (11)

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I am looking at a mig 15. Was considering this one but between the pipe collapsing and the gear not retracting I'll pass. Anyone have a Mig 15 they recommend?
Old 09-14-2013, 12:15 PM
ledd4u

Originally Posted by essyou35
I am looking at a mig 15. Was considering this one but between the pipe collapsing and the gear not retracting I'll pass. Anyone have a Mig 15 they recommend?

I recently added the 4" air cylinders along with the BVM MIG-15 wheels. The original wheels weigh about 8 ounces each. I will be going to Monster Planes in a few months and will hopefully have everything working. Never had problems with my pipe collapsing. Thats the FLY Eagle stuff.