Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Black Mamba turbine

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Black Mamba turbine

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 10:01 AM
racer8297
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Black Mamba turbine

You guys know the trouble I have had with my X-Treme Jets Dragon. Lost canopy, cracked windshield. My buddy lost a wing in flight. You know.

But there is a positive aspect to all this. When I built the Dragon I bought a Black Mamba engine from Todd at Dreamworks! What a pleasant surprise that turned out to be. It has the fastest acceleration of any turbine I have ever seen. I would say that from idle to full thrust is under 2 seconds. It pushes the 30 pound Dragon around very smartly. From half throttle the acceleration is almost instantaneous, the airplane takes off like a rocket sled!

The instructions are not complicated, it comes with a bound manual that is very to the point and easy to read. The only question I had was about the polarity on the wire that connects the ECU to the RX so I called up Todd and had an answer in 2 minutes.

The engine itself looks unique, being anodized black and having cooling ridges around the case. The starter motor housing is aluminum and is solidly mounted with aluminum standoffs so it should always be aligned. It comes with a variety of festos and connectors as well as 3mm and 4mm festo tubing.

After the Dragon was ready I took it out to the back yard to start it and see how the install was. The Black Mamba fired up immediately and has been running strong ever since. The only problem is that my wife will never let me forget the 25 foot burn mark in the lawn ! I have tried Powermax and Propane and I find the the Powermax starts the motor much more quickly than the Propane does. But either gas starts it reliably.

All said on done, I would buy another in a hearbeat. Couple the price (value), lifetime warranty, performance and best of all serviced by Dreamworks, I would say that the Black Mamba is a definite winner!

Weather looks great this weekend so lets go flying!

Jim
Old 08-27-2010, 10:19 AM
basimpsn
My Feedback: (5)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Black Mamba turbine

I would say that from idle to full thrust is under 2 seconds.
WOW ??
Old 08-27-2010, 10:56 AM
lov2flyrc
My Feedback: (24)

ORIGINAL: basimpsn

I would say that from idle to full thrust is under 2 seconds.
WOW ??
WOW Indeed!!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjyzcST5IXk[/youtube]
Old 08-27-2010, 11:43 AM
rcguy!
My Feedback: (69)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have yo
ORIGINAL: racer8297

You guys know the trouble I have had with my X-Treme Jets Dragon. Lost canopy, cracked windshield. My buddy lost a wing in flight. You know.

But there is a positive aspect to all this. When I built the Dragon I bought a Black Mamba engine from Todd at Dreamworks! What a pleasant surprise that turned out to be. It has the fastest acceleration of any turbine I have ever seen. I would say that from idle to full thrust is under 2 seconds. It pushes the 30 pound Dragon around very smartly. From half throttle the acceleration is almost instantaneous, the airplane takes off like a rocket sled!

The instructions are not complicated, it comes with a bound manual that is very to the point and easy to read. The only question I had was about the polarity on the wire that connects the ECU to the RX so I called up Todd and had an answer in 2 minutes.

The engine itself looks unique, being anodized black and having cooling ridges around the case. The starter motor housing is aluminum and is solidly mounted with aluminum standoffs so it should always be aligned. It comes with a variety of festos and connectors as well as 3mm and 4mm festo tubing.

After the Dragon was ready I took it out to the back yard to start it and see how the install was. The Black Mamba fired up immediately and has been running strong ever since. The only problem is that my wife will never let me forget the 25 foot burn mark in the lawn ! I have tried Powermax and Propane and I find the the Powermax starts the motor much more quickly than the Propane does. But either gas starts it reliably.

All said on done, I would buy another in a hearbeat. Couple the price (value), lifetime warranty, performance and best of all serviced by Dreamworks, I would say that the Black Mamba is a definite winner!

Weather looks great this weekend so lets go flying!

Jim
Have you actually measured the time from idle to full RPM in your flyable model setup? How about a clear video for all of us to enjoy "idle to full thrust is under 2 seconds"

Dave
Old 08-27-2010, 12:08 PM
Meesh
My Feedback: (135)

Dave,

Go easy on Jim. He is definitely one of the good guys!

Bob
Old 08-27-2010, 12:10 PM
Meesh

Jim,

I've been looking at these since Todd took them on. Pretty impressive for the price. Any chance you'll have it installed in something flyable when we come down in October??

See you soon!

Bob
Old 08-27-2010, 12:33 PM
racer8297

Dave,

Look at Todd's video. If you need more videos than that let me know and I'll do one when I get my Dragon flying again, hopefully in a week or two. Dan (Split S) is replacing the windscreen for me and doing some other repair work from a hard landing (check my Dragon thread for info on that). And no, I did not measure it with a stop watch. I used the one chimpanzee two chimpanzee method. Sorry to be misleading.

I had seen the video that Todd posted before my purchase and that had me pretty much sold. But then I called Dreamworks and grilled Todd for a few minutes. It's not what he said but the fact that I could get him on the phone so easily and he seemed very knowledgable about the motor that locked it up for me. He didn't try to sell me. He just answered my questions.

Meesh,

The Dragon should be flying in two weeks, so, to answer your question, yes, it will be up and running for the Farview event. The fee for looking is one popcorn ball! And thanks for the good guy vote! You guys are the best!

Take care,
Jim
Old 08-27-2010, 12:52 PM
Meesh

DeletE
Old 08-27-2010, 01:07 PM
basimpsn

Hey Tod are you going full repairs on the Mamba & Merlin turbine engine?. If so thats great.
Old 08-27-2010, 01:27 PM
lov2flyrc

ORIGINAL: basimpsn

Hey Tod are you going full repairs on the Mamba & Merlin turbine engine?. If so thats great.
Yes... we do full in house service on both!

Dave, [link=http://aefuav.com/Video/Mamba.wmv]HERE[/link] is a slightly higher resolution version of the video posted above. Watch the scale and my hand on the throttle.... One Mississippi, Two Mississippi...
I'll post a better video early next week.
Todd
Old 08-27-2010, 01:53 PM
basimpsn

Very impressive video todd [sm=thumbs_up.gif] I am a sucker for good thrust reading, not claims (LIKE MY RHINO)[sm=bananahead.gif].

P.S Reading not claims Sry guys[&o]
Old 08-27-2010, 02:11 PM
racer8297

Oh yes, the Black Mamba "BM" ([] for short) comes with a sheet of ECU settings for your particular motor. So, in case you get into trouble with the settings you can easily revert back to the original settings. That sheet also has the test results showing you how much thrust at different RPMs. It's up to you whether you believe them or not, I'm just stating what comes in the box.

Jim
Old 08-27-2010, 05:10 PM
littlepiston
My Feedback: (12)

My rabbit is slightly fast than that ,if you pump the thottle and dont let it idle for vary long anything to make a sale [:-] gees!
Old 08-28-2010, 03:33 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: littlepiston

My rabbit is slightly fast than that ,if you pump the thottle and dont let it idle for vary long anything to make a sale [:-] gees!
Thanks littlepiston, I am glad you said it, been resisting the temptation since the first post.

Mike
Old 08-28-2010, 04:23 AM
c_makhija

We have one flying here on our field in a comp arf rookie and it is a very powerful turbine, the thrust feels more like a 160 than a 130.

Chaitanya.
Old 08-28-2010, 08:28 AM
lov2flyrc

ORIGINAL: littlepiston

Fair enough...next video I will provide plenty of idle time first. Any thing else you would like to see so I am not "making a sale" and simply showing performance?
Boy is this place cynical these days.... don't no why I bother to even post here any more.....

Old 08-28-2010, 08:50 AM
littlepiston

No Todd nothing else needed.[sm=angel_smile.gif]
Old 08-28-2010, 09:18 AM
KFX450
My Feedback: (30)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm gonna have to agree with Todd on this one. Can't post without getting your head lopped off. But opinions are like *****..les. Everyones got one

Hey Todd. Any future plans on a higher thrust model? Got a new jet coming this winter and will be looking for something equivalent to a p-180
Old 08-28-2010, 09:38 PM
littlepiston

Dont post Assumptions,and you will not get your head lopped off. Im geting tired of people protecting people and makeing things better then they realy are. just post facts, no need to enhance items to make a profit.One more thing QUIT posting Posts that start off saying"i would like to thank(major turbine manufacturer) for the great job and the quick service". UUhhh Hello,its there job to provide great service. [:'(][:@]
Old 08-28-2010, 09:46 PM
Erik R
My Feedback: (32)

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Littlepiston,

What are you,the post police? I think they have moderators here to determine what's appropriate or not to post.Jimmy certainly has the right to say he is having a good experience with his motor,and the vendor.Don't tell him what he should and shouldn't say.It's none of your business.Maybe your little piston is why you're such a negative,overbearing jerk.

If you ever get out this way,I'd love to have a face to face with you about it.

Erik
Old 08-28-2010, 11:05 PM
lov2flyrc

It's somewhat amusing to me to see the responses so cynical... Honestly, I have far more to gain selling you the consumer a Jetcat or Jetcentral engine. I make more percentage, dont have overhead of warranty service to handle. I take on certain brands that I feel deserve to be offered in the US market providing YOU more options to choose from. You would think the Jet Guys would be happy you have more to choose from than the two big hitters in the market. Good engines at a really competitive price. Kingtech has been a perfect example of this.... I was asked to provide a video showing the Black Mamba's performance back in May, here it is.... nothing but a display of the engine on the bench... Yet, there are always those in the crowed feel the need to crap on someones pancakes. The engine is what it is... as presented. How you choose to process that information is by all means, you prerogative.
Please; if you sincerely feel I am trying to be a "Salesman" for the product, give me a call. I'll send you one to test for yourself! Only requirement is you come back on here and provide RCU with your personal opinion of the engine.... This is an open invitation to anyone within the USA but will only send one engine out at a time.
WE open at 9am Monday morning!
Todd
Old 08-28-2010, 11:20 PM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Todd,
Does the Mamba have a SS combustion chamber and how does it hold up comparatively?
Old 08-29-2010, 01:38 AM
Pepperpete

If Racer hadn't made this post in the first place, I never would have heard about this turbine. Those that keep trying to tell people what they should and should not post should get a life. Or go out and fly something instead of being a computer commando.
Old 08-29-2010, 07:02 AM
racer8297

Erik,

You said what I was thinking, thank you! I was just posting my experience with this motor. I was so pleasantly surprised with it that I just had to share. I think my point is that here you have an Asian turbine available at a competitive price and performance that is as good as any player out there. Couple that with a person to talk to on the phone in the same time zone and US support and I would say that we have a winner.

Now Todd has just put out a great challange to all you nay sayers. I would say that he put his money where his mouth is! You tell em Todd!

Like they say, there is no such thing as bad press!

Jim
Old 08-29-2010, 07:20 PM
SPLIT S

Never thought I would see the day when someone would complain about getting good service from a vendor. Of course it's expected, doesn't mean it shouldn't be recgonized. What color is the sky in your weird little world? Thanks Todd for getting my Eurosport gear to me in no time at all. I'll be back for wheels and brakes when the wallet allows...

Dan