Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Black Mamba Performance Test Video

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Black Mamba Performance Test Video

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 02:56 PM
lov2flyrc
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Black Mamba Performance Test Video

Back in May I did a short low quality video showing the Black Mamba's performance on the test stand. Recently, A customer got on RCU to provide a report on his personal experience with the engine. As usual, the Cynics refuse to accept there IS actually another engine on the market that does perform on par with the leading brands and out performs most engines in its class. The cynics claim I am being as "Salesman" moving the throttle too fast... Not letting it idle long enough yada... yada yada....
So... Here we are again.... another video documenting the engine with plenty of idle time between throttle movement. Also note; the weather here today is at the upper extremes for performance. The engine was run at 93F, according to local weather 78% humidity. Hot, sticky thin air.... If I where trying to mislead about this engines performance, I surely would not be posting this run with atmospheric conditions as they currently are....

Offer stands..... Anyone whom wishes to bench run this engine for themselves is welcome to give me a call. I will ship you the engine at no charge for you to test out yourself. Only requirement is you get back on RCU and provide truthful opinionated review of the engine.

[link=http://aefuav.com/Video/Black_Mamba_LR.wmv]HERE[/link] is a down-loadable Version

Or the YouTube version.....

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFaPcbvnX-s[/youtube]

Todd
Old 08-30-2010, 03:08 PM
tothemax

Default RE: Black Mamba Performance Test Video

Can't argue with that. Very impressive!!!
Old 08-30-2010, 03:31 PM
WF Pilot

Any plans for a kerostart in the near future??

Morten
Old 08-30-2010, 04:23 PM
basimpsn
My Feedback: (5)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Todd setting a new trend for model turbine honest spec report[sm=thumbs_up.gif].

P.S All engine not samples. Todd im hoping you will endorse a real 36# engine.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:15 PM
grbaker
My Feedback: (29)

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Todd,
Send it to me. I'll bench test it, flight test it, wear test it, smell test it ......... (sorry I can't come up with any more tests) and I'll post weekly, truthfull, opinionated updates over the next 2 or 3 years.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:28 PM
Pepperpete

Absolutely awesome. That thing really gets up to snuff fast. I couldn't help but notice that the maximum thrust was 28ish pounds. On the website it says max thrust is 30.85. Is that due to the thinner air? Seems that 2 pounds is a fair bit different than advertised but I completely respect the honest testing. It's downright refreshing. In fact I wish there was a collection of video's identical to this with different turbines. Makes choosing the one we want much easier.
Old 08-30-2010, 06:08 PM
Vincent
My Feedback: (61)

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

ORIGINAL: Pepperpete

Absolutely awesome. That thing really gets up to snuff fast. I couldn't help but notice that the maximum thrust was 28ish pounds. On the website it says max thrust is 30.85. Is that due to the thinner air? Seems that 2 pounds is a fair bit different than advertised but I completely respect the honest testing. It's downright refreshing. In fact I wish there was a collection of video's identical to this with different turbines. Makes choosing the one we want much easier.
If you watch the complete video the motor does eventually approach 30lbs thrust. It seems the max rpm is bouncing around from 126k to 128k and the thrust goes up accordingly.

Todd,
What type of compressor wheel does this motor use?? is it a garrett or their own design?
Thanks,
Vin...
Old 08-30-2010, 07:54 PM
racer8297
My Feedback: (13)

Where is Little Piston now?
Guys, not to impugn other turbine manufactures but they their thrust measurements are probably taken in the most favorable conditions. Todd's test was in real world weather and the motor is putting out as advertised.

Thanks for posting Todd.

Jim
Old 08-30-2010, 08:15 PM
lov2flyrc

ORIGINAL: Pepperpete

It is quite normal to have thrust loss depending on atmospheric conditions. Turbine output varies with air density and most manufacture figures are based on a "corrected" value.
In this case, thin air certainly is part of the reason for the slightly lower output but there is another reason which is my fault....
This was the first run on this engine on my stand using my generic fuel pump. I never let the engine run long enough at full throttle for the FADEC to adjust to the pump. You will notice in the video the top rpm is jumping around a bit trying to stabilize at the max RPM limit but I never let it sit there long enough to find the correct pump PW setting.
Typically, under normal air density we see about 32lbs out of the Mamba.

Vin,
I never asked Andreas what wheels he is using but the compressor does appear to be a Garrett

Kerostart is in testing now and other sizes are on the way....

Remember, this engine provides lifetime core warranty and US based service as well!!
Old 08-30-2010, 08:33 PM
Grodus

Todd thats impressive! What about the full throttle fuel flow listed in the specs on your website? Is that accurate as well? My calculator says 330ml/min is just over 11oz. Thats about equal to my rabbit with 10lbs less thrust. If that number is accurate, it seems like a real gem.

Cody
Old 08-30-2010, 09:02 PM
Pepperpete

ORIGINAL: Grodus

Todd thats impressive! What about the full throttle fuel flow listed in the specs on your website? Is that accurate as well? My calculator says 330ml/min is just over 11oz. Thats about equal to my rabbit with 10lbs less thrust. If that number is accurate, it seems like a real gem.

Cody
At 11 oz at WOT that is less than my P-80SE. I would also like to know if that number is accurate?? If so holy crap...that can't be right...
Old 08-30-2010, 09:56 PM
littlepiston
My Feedback: (12)

3 1/2 4 sec, not bad, twice as good as evojet
Old 08-30-2010, 10:28 PM
tabstein01

Hi,

Last Florida Jets I have the opportunity to watch the performance of this engine in the stand when Todd test it, and the only thing I have to say about it is that this engine is awesome, a true 30+, the acceleration it is amazing.

I am really thinking in get one of this engines.

Luis Perez
Old 08-30-2010, 10:52 PM
molo_30

Here's another one in the air:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCX8DO_LFuk

Enjoy!
Old 08-30-2010, 11:20 PM
PaulD
My Feedback: (39)

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I would be really curious to see what the installed weight is. This engine compares to the new Merlin 140 or J-C Cheeta in terms of performance so the weight factor would be an interesting comparsion.

Sure looks good on the bench.[8D]

PaulD
Old 08-30-2010, 11:50 PM
Pepperpete

ORIGINAL: PaulD

I would be really curious to see what the installed weight is. This engine compares to the new Merlin 140 or J-C Cheeta in terms of performance so the weight factor would be an interesting comparsion.

Sure looks good on the bench.[8D]

PaulD
I was thinking the exact same thing Paul. Todd would you be able to confirm the true fuel consumption at WOT and the installed weight (including all gear) of this turbine? I was angling towards the cheetah but honestly if the fuel really is 11oz at WOT (or is that the average draw which I bet it is) then this could be a winner. Plus it's 500 bucks less than the cheetah.
Old 08-31-2010, 12:12 AM
Robrow

The standard for manufacturers performance figures is usually ISO day at sea level and 15C (60F).

Rob.
Old 08-31-2010, 01:29 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Very impressive, if the rest of the spec lives up to real testing then its going to put a lot of manufactures nose's out of joint, and they will have to catch up quick if they want to keep selling turbines.

I saw a couple of these at the Hop Farm display last year being flow by TJD in Elans the only thing is they where being flown with lots of other jets and it was difficult to know what turbine it was that was a lot louder than the others, if I remember there where two Wren's in a Falcon 120 and a couple of JetCats also in Elans, in these sensitive times it would be nice to have a standard by which turbines could be noise tested, if only a simple reading at 10M behind the eflux and down wind at least that would tell us something.

Mike
Old 08-31-2010, 01:58 AM
key west

Yes a really fast acceleration, impressive. But as little piston already said, it is 3,5 - 4 sec. And that is fast for a jet engine! Nobodody needs faster, and hardly any turbine in the world can do much faster than this. You can clearly see it in the video. At 3:29/3:30 he throws the throttle to max, and around 3:33 it reaches full power.
As on every turbine the first 15 to 20K is the hardest and take most of the time. From 55/60K to max it will be only 1,5 sec or even less.
Old 08-31-2010, 03:12 AM
olnico

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: lov2flyrc

Back in May I did a short low quality video showing the Black Mamba's performance on the test stand. Recently, A customer got on RCU to provide a report on his personal experience with the engine. As usual, the Cynics refuse to accept there IS actually another engine on the market that does perform on par with the leading brands and out performs most engines in its class. The cynics claim I am being as ''Salesman'' moving the throttle too fast... Not letting it idle long enough yada... yada yada....
So... Here we are again.... another video documenting the engine with plenty of idle time between throttle movement. Also note; the weather here today is at the upper extremes for performance. The engine was run at 93F, according to local weather 78% humidity. Hot, sticky thin air.... If I where trying to mislead about this engines performance, I surely would not be posting this run with atmospheric conditions as they currently are....

Offer stands..... Anyone whom wishes to bench run this engine for themselves is welcome to give me a call. I will ship you the engine at no charge for you to test out yourself. Only requirement is you get back on RCU and provide truthful opinionated review of the engine.

[link=http://aefuav.com/Video/Black_Mamba_LR.wmv]HERE[/link] is a down-loadable Version

Or the YouTube version.....

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFaPcbvnX-s[/youtube]

Todd
Hi Todd,

If you're interested in having the engine fully tested and reviewed in RCJI, send me a PM.

Oli.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:49 AM
basimpsn
My Feedback: (5)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think a quicker throttle responce can cause higher temp (cc,ngv,turbine,wheel,bearing,=shorter engine life. More power = less Rpm .

P.S If i had this engine. I would raise the throttle delay to 5min. Thats what i did with all my engines now doing 3yrs since bearing change.
Old 08-31-2010, 03:03 PM
lov2flyrc

Ok... so the question of Installed weight and fuel consumption has been asked. I'll get to the weight in a minute but have just performed a fuel consumption run at WOT. Here is how it was performed.....
I have re-plummed my stand so the engine will draw the fuel from a graduated container. This container is not "Exact" in terms of scaling but close enough for the purpose. The container was filled to the top, timer started as the engine hit 24oz at WOT. At the 4oz mark, the timer was stopped. As you can see below, the engine consumed 20oz in 87 seconds (actually 87.808 but not slitting hairs here)
20oz divided by 87 sec = 0.229885 oz/sec
0.229885 x 60 sec = 13.7931 oz/min at WOT

There you have it... Actual consumption at WOT 13.79 oz/min

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	sn39777.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	1493308   Click image for larger version

Name:	jo30482.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	1493309   Click image for larger version

Name:	au56752.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	1493310  
Old 08-31-2010, 03:17 PM
lov2flyrc

Now on to installed weight....

Engine core weighs 3lbs 7.8oz
Ancillaries less festo fittings and tubing 13.2oz

total install weight (less festo fittings and tubing) 4lbs 5.1oz

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	lj22832.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	1493313   Click image for larger version

Name:	oj27034.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	1493314  
Old 08-31-2010, 03:33 PM
lov2flyrc

And on to a few other questions that have been asked:

Regarding the combustion chamber: Fuel Sticks are Inconel 625, Chamber is 316 Stainless.
Kerostart: Jetcat style external plug will be available some time later this year. Internal Kero is expected within the first or second quarter of 2011
Compressor: Garrett manufactured. New 5 Axis machined compressor expected some time early to mid 2011

Warranty: Lifetime on engine core, one year on electronics
25hr Service Charge: Fixed at $200.00 USD

Oli... Will be in touch!

Amazingly.... No one, including LittlePiston has contacted me to test one themselves.... Come on guys, I challenge anyone to test one and prove any inaccuracies stated.

Old 08-31-2010, 04:34 PM
grbaker
My Feedback: (29)

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Come on guys, I challenge anyone to test one and prove any inaccuracies stated.
No need to try to prove any inaccuracies, because we all know you to be an honorable man.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.