RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Pirotti Tuono (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/10182611-pirotti-tuono.html)

rc4flying 08-29-2012 01:00 PM

RE: Pirotti Tuono

I have one of the PowerBox "iGyro" in mine and it states in the instructions to use no mixing. I have been using it for all 51 flights I now have and the jet handles great. I have no mixes setup at all. When I fly with the gyro off, I don't notice the jet fly much different I just always turn gyro on for landing.

mauryr 08-30-2012 12:23 AM

The video of a friend's tuono, taken last weekend. Powered by a jet italia 160 Ithink.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MiEcUDfRm8[/youtube]

David J Ruskin 09-11-2012 08:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
First few pics of my Tuono now the instal is finished. Both with and without the wing tanks. Radio set up and testing to do then hopefully the maiden flight could be before the end of September. I'm really pleased with the Phil Noel paint job.

David

i3dm 09-11-2012 10:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
From Pirotti's facebook pge:

New for Jet Power:
TUONO Arolab tuning.. 3 kg less than standard version

rc4flying 09-11-2012 02:18 PM

David,

Now that bird looks Sweet!!!!. Good Luck on your maiden flight.

i3dm 09-18-2012 07:51 AM

Maiden flight of my Tuono this morning in Dimona, Israel.

Who says you cant have a lot of fun on a maiden ?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D97DVOGBChI[/youtube]

crhammond 02-09-2013 06:40 AM

I have been working away on my Tuono for a few weeks and getting into the last 1/3 of the assembly.
The "build" is very straight forward and the quality is very nice.

Easy, except for the rudder.  I am wondering what other folks did for rudder hinging.  Mine came with the slots cut in the rudder and the 2mm wire installed but no hinges on the fin.  It did not include any hinges either.  Did you have to make you own phenolic hinges or should mine have come with some?  Any tips for getting the hinges aligned in the fin - I'm assuming the best way is to install them in the rudder with the pin, mill matching slots in the fin with a little play and glue with hysol with the rudder in place so everything dries in alignment.

Hoping to be painting in 6 weeks or so...

geh3 02-09-2013 06:47 AM

Mine came with green phenolic ones, I cut matching holes in the fin, put the hinges in the rudder with the pin
and hysol'd them in
you will LOVE the way this plane flies!!!
and it lands like a dream...

see>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k24UwdOpOHA

crhammond 02-09-2013 06:55 AM

Thanks for the fast reply - I will see if I can get the hinges... that will make life much easier than having to make them!I'm looking forward to it. I took last year off from the hobby and I have the itch very bad again.I have a JetCat 180Rx in mine, Behotech C50 gear ... this should be a very nice no-fuss sport jet for weekend flying.It certainly looks awesome in some of the videos - like a "pattern jet."

geh3 02-09-2013 07:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Iactually put a Behotec 180GE in mine because the Wren 160 Iwas planning on using went into another project
the 180 is a perfect size for this plane...good luck with yours...
See pic. this is what came with mine..the piece at the bottom is an extra fin hinge
if you want Icould scan it 1:1 and send you a .jpg, then you can make your own...

geh3 02-09-2013 07:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
you should be able to make some from this

crhammond 02-09-2013 09:06 AM

Wow - thanks for that!I got the phenolic for the servos, flaps and servo hold-down plates, just no fin hinges. I have some phenolic sheet so I can make these no problem. CHEERS!!!

geh3 02-09-2013 09:13 AM

go for it
use good epoxy
Vpoxy or Aeropoxy or similar

see: http://rcaircraft-specialties.com/

ricardinho 02-21-2013 08:58 AM

HELLO JOE. I AM GETTING READY TO BUILD A NEW ULTRA LIGHTNING AND HAVE BEEN CAREFULLY LOOKING AT THE IGYRO...CAN YOU LET ME KNOW A LITTLE ABOUT IT AND HOW YOU LIKE IT...THE PIROTTI IS SIMILAR TO THE LIGHTNING IN FLIGHT CHARACTORISTICS SO SHOULD BE GOOD MATCH I GUESS??? THANKS PAT

rc4flying 02-21-2013 10:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hello Pat,

I was new to jets last year and not know what to expect I was doing lots or research. I like the PowerBox line of products and have used the Power distribution units for many years. So when the iGyro was introduced as I was finishing up my Tuono I decided to try one out.

What I found when I received it was a neat well designed product. I read the instruction several times before hooking it up to be sure I understood what I was doing. I followed the instruction one step at a time and the setup process went very smooth. I use a Futaba 18MZ so I assigned the gain adjustments on two different knobs. I played around with the setup on the ground to understand things. Upon going to the field the first time, evrything was easy to setup during my first three flights.

I have flown for 30 yrs in RC. Using this gyro felt like cheating. There are 3 modes to the gyro, so if things did not go well when going through the in air setup, it can be turned off, so to me there is no risk. Once all the surfaces are tuned in to a final setting, the plane is locked in solid. With the heading gain set, it is almost too easy to do slow and point rolls with no deveation in heading. But, you can have a hard time with some manuvers with heading lock on, so one mode should have the heading gain either not set or set really low. I have flown my Tuono many time with the gyro off and the jet is solid, but it is just that little extra feel when it is on that smooths out the flight. And I just love flying a smooth graceful flight.

In gusty wind conditions it does dampen out the extreme bumps in the flight.

Powerbox has just upgraded the iGyro that makes it even easier to do the initial setup that make it nice. Also, PowerBox does have a web site that answers questions, plus when there are updates to their products, the updates can be downloaded to their products to keep them up to date. That makes it nice to keep a product current and up to date.

Is the gyro necessary, maybe not. I do love trying new gagets, so I have, and all my future jets will have an iGyro in it. I just finshed up a Skymast Hawk and there is one in it, but have not flown it yet because of the weather.

Hope I have answered your question. I have flown an Ultra Lightening of a friend of mine and it is a nice flying bird. Good Luck with your project.

ricardinho 02-21-2013 10:41 AM

thanks for the info joe...sounds great..i will be at florida jets this year..i am sure lots of people will be using them...pat

xlpro 03-07-2013 09:29 PM

I just bought a Tuono with no Manual. Can you guys tell me what kind of throws you are running? Do you run dual rates or a single rate with lots of expo, also exactly where is CG supposed to be?
Thanks for the help, I can't wait to fly it!

Peter A 03-07-2013 09:48 PM

Here you go:

http://www.altecare.com/tuonomanual.pdf

rc4flying 03-08-2013 01:38 AM

I have mine set up with triple rates with the middle rate being the suggested throws in the manual. I use expos on each rate for my taste of feel I am looking for.
My cg is right where it is suggested in manual also. I think it is a solid feel when flying. I do have the instructions in English if needed.
You will enjoy this plane a lot.

xlpro 03-08-2013 12:39 PM

Thanks rc4flying! can you send the manual in english to: [email protected]
thanks!
I appreciate it!

Quandry 08-25-2013 01:41 PM

Anyone flying the smaller brother Tuono Easy? I don't see too many threads about it.

Quandry 09-16-2013 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Quandry (Post 11600031)
Anyone flying the smaller brother Tuono Easy? I don't see too many threads about it.

I met Mauro Pirotti at Jetpower and after seeing a Tuono Easy first hand I have ordered one. Prepare to see more documentation on this great plane in coming months... :)