RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Question on Vector Thrust (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/10972137-question-vector-thrust.html)

Dr Honda 02-23-2012 08:25 AM

Question on Vector Thrust

Hi Guys,

I may be scratch building a Rookie/Kangaroo type jet, and if I do... I want to add in Vector thrust. So, my question is... how much defection do you need for "3D" performance???

I know on my Jet skis... I only get about 20 degrees of movement each way... and that will make is spin.

Thanks in advance.

Dave Wilshere 02-23-2012 09:59 AM

RE: Question on Vector Thrust

Tony

Around 30 degrees would be a guess, you are limited by the tube diameter 3 1/2" is a good starting point. Turbine Tail pipe diameter will stop the deflection.

I had a Zimmermann set up in my Rookie and Harpoon 11 and it worked well.

Dw

Dave Wilshere 02-23-2012 10:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Like this
Try again!!

hooker53 02-23-2012 02:37 PM

Tony. 30 Deg. is what I'm seeing on my Rookie II but just keep in mind that you want to mix in a switch to cut that vectoring off at high speeds.

Dr Honda 02-23-2012 04:17 PM

Thanks guys.

Oh... and yes... I was going to make it switchable. (active/inactive) I figure I don't need it's first back flip to be on take off. (lol)

CraigG 02-23-2012 06:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
30 degrees is about what I can get on my Eurosport. I don't think you can have too much.

You definately want to be able to switch it on and off!

Craig

hooker53 02-25-2012 12:55 PM

Tony, I'v seen jets almost turn on themselves with 30 Deg. of movement so don't worry about needing anymore.

BaldEagel 02-25-2012 03:11 PM

Tony

After using it for a little while and getting boared I put as much movement as I could get on my Rookie and took notice of the instruction manual and put revearse expo on it, i.e. more movement on first movement of the stick, having the pitch vector on makes for very short take offs, Oh by the way I have both movements gyro'd and the canard goes too 85degs for landing with the pitch vector still active.

Mike

Dr Honda 02-25-2012 08:35 PM

Mike... I may want to pick your brain via a PM later on.

I originally was going to buy a Rookie, but there weren't any in the USA... and CARF told me it would be at least 10 weeks. I found that to be unexceptable. But, last week, there was a set of Lighting wings and stab in the classifieds going cheap... so I got them. I was thinking of building a basic box fuse, and more or less, building a "Rookie" out of them. (I was going to use the stab for the rudders)

Once I start building... I will need some set up info for the canard, and how to do the quick pop to use it as a drag brake.

BaldEagel 02-26-2012 08:40 AM

ORIGINAL: Dr Honda

Mike... I may want to pick your brain via a PM later on.

That will not take long. :D:D

Mike