RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   New CGRCjets super scale A-10 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/11046459-new-cgrcjets-super-scale-10-a.html)

Yann 04-19-2012 12:12 AM

RE: New CGRCjets super scale A-10

Would this larger airframe still be suitable for twin wren44 gold?

cgrcjet 04-19-2012 04:28 AM

ORIGINAL: PTERODACTYL

I would like to see you make it “lighter.” I live at 7200 feet above sea level. A RC plane with a 6 foot wing span, a 12 inch wing cord at a weight of 25 lbs has a wing loading of 66 ozs per square foot, “that’s over four pounds per square foot”. I’m afraid to say this but it would need around 80+ mph to get off the ground and 60 mph to land. I build heavy too but I would shoot for 13lbs ready to fly [electric] minus the bombs and rockets and I would pull my hair out trying to keep it under 15lbs. This would slow it down for landing, shorten its take off run and give it much more vertical performance with a wider flight envelope.

At fifteen pounds with a 12 inch cord and six foot wing span the wing loading would be 40 ozs per sqft.

“Much better.”[8D]
13" cord 75" wingspan. I can always lighten the airframe but its all dependent on your power system. The twin power system can add quite a bit of weight to the airframe. What power system were you thinking?

Chris

cgrcjet 04-19-2012 04:39 AM

ORIGINAL: Yann

Would this larger airframe still be suitable for twin wren44 gold?
Hi Yann

Wren 44 gold would still be the ideal size turbine for this airframe. Although its a bit early to get the actual weight I dont think it will be a big difference. I do like my airframes a little more on the sound side but I will adjust accordingly.

chris

Yann 04-19-2012 04:54 AM

Thanks,
I've been eyeing on this plane for quite some time, and I may jump into it when the new airframe becomes available.
I'm not a big fan of EDF, so it will be turbine powered for sure.
Yann

cgrcjet 04-19-2012 05:16 AM

No problem Yann. Im hoping to have it available sooner than later as i already have some orders and deposits for it. The design process can be the worst part of it. That can consume alot of time in itself. I will try to make short work of it as we will also still need to do testing on the new airframe.

thanks
chris

cgrcjet 04-19-2012 05:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
One of the design challenges, is the deceleron. Trying to find a small and strong enough servo for the application without bringing it out of spec.

chris

McsGuy 04-19-2012 07:06 AM

Is the Deceleron meant to open all the way only or is it supposed to have partial settings like regular flaps?

cgrcjet 04-19-2012 07:46 AM

ORIGINAL: McsGuy

Is the Deceleron meant to open all the way only or is it supposed to have partial settings like regular flaps?
On the real A-10, i believe they can be adjusted to any point. At least thats what i have observed at airshows. They are never fully open in flight, only on the ground. Fully open is shy of 90 degrees, im guessing about 80 degrees. 80% is the max open position in flight. I know a crew member on the west coast demo team. Maybe i can contact him and see if they can be opened to any range of motion. I would think they have set settings with all the other stuff they have to think about.

thanks
chris

sam@ata 04-19-2012 08:23 AM

FYI on the decelron, as per the book "operators manual" that i got off ebay i believe that the max INFLIGHT opeing is set for 40 degrees. I will check and post later tonight after i find it in the book again. This is for the A model but i assume its the same on all. I think your right about the max open being 80 degrees

speed is life 04-19-2012 08:28 AM

The A-10's speed brakes are proportional........selectable by a switch on the right throttle quadrant. We described the amount of speed brake deployment in "degrees", just did it by how it looked.....no indicator gauge.
Interestingly enough, the airplanes roll rate is fractionally faster with just a little blip of open. Maybe a 2" split.
How do I know this? I flew the "Hog" from 1978-1981

Be careful with the idea of working speed brakes, there was at least one incident of a Mibo A-10 fitted with them that suffered catastrophic aileron flutter. Managed to bring it back using rudder.
Cheers,
Mike

PS: Hi Chris, no not built yet, divorce has gotten in the way.......http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...ngry_smile.gif

<br type="_moz" />

McsGuy 04-19-2012 08:49 AM

Thanks guys, I'm not used to such competent feedback :D

Chris, as you work through your design are you able to develop fairly accurate take off and landing mph specs? I plan to have full telemetry and knowing the real boundaries would be great. (I know the final weight is the critical component which you don't have full control over, but something based on min/max values)

cgrcjet 04-19-2012 08:51 AM

ORIGINAL: speed is life

The A-10's speed brakes are proportional........selectable by a switch on the right throttle quadrant. We described the amount of speed brake deployment in ''degrees'', just did it by how it looked.....no indicator gauge.
Interestingly enough, the airplanes roll rate is fractionally faster with just a little blip of open. Maybe a 2'' split.
How do I know this? I flew the ''Hog'' from 1978-1981

Be careful with the idea of working speed brakes, there was at least one incident of a Mibo A-10 fitted with them that suffered catastrophic aileron flutter. Managed to bring it back using rudder.
Cheers,
Mike

PS: Hi Chris, no not built yet, divorce has gotten in the way.......[img][/img]

<br type=''_moz'' />
Hi Mike

Sorry to here about that. Was not because of the hobby was it? I know my wife has threatened me because of it but this time around she seems a bit more at ease. I will admit, i spend more time on this stuff than she can handle. I just appreciate the fact that she stuck it out. Ofcourse we moved from California to Florida and with the big price drop with housing and the beaches, its like vacation.

Thanks for the insight on the A-10. I knew you would come around. I think i still owe you a wingtube.

thanks
chris

cgrcjet 04-19-2012 08:58 AM

Thanks guys, I not used to such competent feedback :D

Chris, as you work through your design are you able to develop fairly accurate take off and landing mph specs? I plan to have full telemetry and knowing the real boundaries would be great.
Hi Joe

I would not know until testing is complete. The Flaps will be different than the older version. They should have a bit more lift on the newer version as they will extend out further. On the older version, too much flap would act as an air brake. Almost learned that the hard way with the first test. I was not there for it but they said it almost stopped in mid flight.

chris

speed is life 04-19-2012 09:21 AM

<br type="" />
[/quote]
Hi Mike

Sorry to here about that. Was not because of the hobby was it? I know my wife has threatened me because of it but this time around she seems a bit more at ease. I will admit, i spend more time on this stuff than she can handle. I just appreciate the fact that she stuck it out. Ofcourse we moved from California to Florida and with the big price drop with housing and the beaches, its like vacation.

Thanks for the insight on the A-10. I knew you would come around. I think i still owe you a wingtube.

thanks
chris
[/quote]

Hi Chris!
Moved to Florida? Big change!
Yea, need to get that wing tube and buy your set of weapons pylons.

How about PM me your latest contact details. Thanks
-Mike
<br type="_moz" />

cgrcjet 04-19-2012 09:31 AM

Yes Florida. I lived in Cali my whole life and was use to the high cost of living. Now that i am in florida i have less stress. Only thing i am worried about here is the humidity when i go to pull the molds from these plugs. I use pva in mold and was having a hard time with it fully drying. Im not sure if i want to use it on these plugs, especially with all the detail that will be in them. I may have to just wax them 100 times. Dont want all the work to go down the drain.

chris

wowplanes 04-19-2012 09:32 AM

Hi Chris
Where about is FL are you? I am in FL too and a great fan of the A10. Maybe we can meetup. The A10 is also my favorite and I am flying my third design.
Fahim

cgrcjet 04-19-2012 09:44 AM

ORIGINAL: wowplanes

Hi Chris
Where about is FL are you? I am in FL too and a great fan of the A10. Maybe we can meetup. The A10 is also my favorite and I am flying my third design.
Fahim

Hi Fahim

Hows your A-10's coming along? I am about an hour south of Tampa. Where are you at? Maybe you should come over and help me finish some plugs, lol!

Chris

wowplanes 04-19-2012 10:28 AM

Chris

My A10 has been doing well. I must have over 150 flights on it by now. I replaced the 90mm Midi fans with the 12 blade CS90, and got some more thrust plus it sounds more like a turbine. I had to sacrifice some flight duration, but still at 5 to 6 mins, which is about as much as I can stand. I added a sound system programmed with gatling gun and missile sounds. It is so cool to fly by and shoot the gun and launch a missile. I will have to make another video soon with the sounds.

You are right about the flaps acting as air brakes when fully deployed. I found that out the hard way too. Came in for a landing approach nice and easy but as soon as I leveled the plane, it stopped dead at 3 feet above the runway. Cracked the wing in 3 places and knocked the gatling gun off, and bent the nose strut. But most of the damage was cosmetic, and I was able to fix it and it is flying again.

I am in Merritt Island, a stone's throw from Cape Canaveral, on the east coast. Probably about 2 or 3 hours away from you. I would love to come over and help you with the plugs, but it is a long drive to and back. Hopefully we can meet up at some event.

Fahim

McsGuy 04-19-2012 10:37 AM

I added a sound system programmed with gatling gun and missile sounds. It is so cool to fly by and shoot the gun and launch a missile. I will have to make another video soon with the sounds.
Hi Fahim, can you provide a link to the sound system you used?

Thanks,

Joe

wowplanes 04-19-2012 02:39 PM

Hi Joe
Here is the link http://www.modelsoundsinc.com/index.htm
Fahim

McsGuy 04-19-2012 03:17 PM

Hi Joe
Here is the link http://www.modelsoundsinc.com/index.htm
Fahim

Thanks!

cgrcjet 04-19-2012 04:12 PM

Fahim

Thats not to far. You could come over for half day everyday, lol. Not like im in california anymore.

The sound module sounds excellent. I have thought of this on a few occasions but did not think it would be loud enough. Is it loud enough? A nice added effect would be some smoke spittin out the barrel. Im sure there could be a way to modify one of the smoke setups. You would probably need some kind of rotating mechanism that would open and close with some pressure behind it to get the same effect. Unfortunately i think i have enough on my plate for a bit. The missile thing would be easier. Just throw some model rockets on it.

Yes we will have to meet up. Did you go to Florida jets? I may have seen you there and didnt know it. I will be in Miami in november. My wife has decided to take up running and is doing a marathon there. I hope shes not practicing to get ready to run from me seeings i have started this project again.

chris

cgrcjet 04-19-2012 04:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Today i worked on finishing touchups and then started prime buildup on rear horizontal wing and elevator. The rear wing section will have all the detail like the real one. I think the forks are counterweights on the real one but i could be wrong. Mike?

chris

cgrcjet 04-19-2012 04:55 PM

Im going to go with fully enclosed layups on the control surfaces and wings this go around. Im hoping this will eliminate any kind of time consuming trimming. Just trimming the flashing should make it quicker after demolding. The rear verticle stab has a bit of undercut for the rudders. I think this small amount of undercut should be fine when demolding. I still need to do this to the rear horizontal but i could not help but start a bit of priming. The hinge points on the control surfaces will also be layed out to make things easier. I am going to have a go at hinging the aileron like the real A-10 as well. Aileron has 2 hinge points.

chris

wowplanes 04-19-2012 05:57 PM

Chris
I guess I can fly over and back in my A10 everyday. We will have to build a big one and use a boatload of LIPOs though. LOL

Your are right, the sound systems are not loud enough. Besides they add weight and consume battery power. Adding 1/2 lb to my 13lb A10 is a lot of weight. Also it is expensive to equip a sound system for each of my models.

So I came up with a different approach. My sound system is housed in a sound box on the ground. Runs off its own battery, and has a Rx bound to the same transmitter I am using to fly the model. The engine sounds are not programmed in because the fans make enough noise anyway, just the gun and missile sounds are programmed in. I fly the A10 in a strafing run and just in front of the pilot station, I flip a swicth linked to the aux channel and this activates the aux channel of the Rx in the sound box on the ground. That plays either the gatling gun burst or a missile launch sound. The sounds are loud enough, so much so, that my gas buddies have complained that they can't hear their gas engines when I fire the gun. My reply is now they know how we electric guys have suffered for years. Its payback time.

The other advantage of this approach is that I can download different sounds from my laptop, at the field, to play with my other models. I have a Merlin sound and gun and bombs for my Hurricane, and a twin engine Pratt &amp;Whitney with guns and bombs for my B25 &amp; B26. The only compromise is that there is no doppler effect in a fly by. My explanation is that imagine you are in the cockpit, the pilots do not have doppler effect.

As for the gun smoke, I have been thinking and playing with some prototype I made up, but not happy with the results yet. Needs more tweaking.

I was going to bring this setup to FL jets 2012, but unfortunately I came down with flu and could not make it. Last year (2011) my A10 won an award at the FLJets, and I was hoping to win another one for the sound effects this year. I am planning to attend Top Gun, not as a competior, just as a spectator. Mostly likely I will be there for Sat May 5th. If you are planning to come, we can hook up there and have a drink together.

Fahim