RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Best Stable Jet Friendly Fields in Florida (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/11317788-best-stable-jet-friendly-fields-florida.html)

stoneenforcer 12-04-2012 07:15 PM

RE: Best Stable Jet Friendly Fields in Florida

ORIGINAL: demaples

No land problems at all at RCACF and the facility is in great shape, field is neatly mowed and strip recently resealed and repainted. A bunch of friendly folks with a few grumps... as usual.

Stopped by Ocala just outside of Belleview for the first time today. Very nice, large, no, huge facility and spoke to Dom the pres who flies jets also, who assured me they are welcome there. And that area is beautiful rolling hills full of horse farms.
DM

I saw you stop by, i think you were asking me edf questions. I was flying that spark jet. sorry i didnt introduce myself. its a good club, stop by anytime!

badeyeboy 12-05-2012 04:15 AM

RE: Best Stable Jet Friendly Fields in Florida

By any chance is jet owners heli pilots also if so then that explains why all the resistance from clubs it sounds familiar. We had members leave start another club on private property with limited membership to who was allowed to join.

AU Tiger 08-03-2017 09:48 AM

I wanted to revive this thread to see if options in Florida have gotten better or worse. I am still trying to find a good place to fly in Jax. Right now its Jax RC or Gateway. Neither is great..

BarracudaHockey 08-03-2017 10:49 AM

Hmmmm......

Auburn02 08-03-2017 12:35 PM

Rut roh. :D

But War Damn Eagle.

AU Tiger 08-03-2017 01:51 PM

Not trying to knock our clubs, I think they are great for the majority of aircraft but for complex scale jets they are not suitable unless landings are perfection. The run offs are what gets them.

TimD. 08-03-2017 02:14 PM

Been there 30yrs have flown jets there from the beginning. You just need to sharpen your skill set.. It is definitely NOT a field for complex aircraft beyond skill levels. Trying to say this with respect.

Yes I agree . sand suks!

Desertlakesflying 08-04-2017 12:14 PM

Just glad I live in the west where we have dry lake beds if all else fails

RCFlyerDan 08-04-2017 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by AU Tiger (Post 12357216)
I wanted to revive this thread to see if options in Florida have gotten better or worse. I am still trying to find a good place to fly in Jax. Right now its Jax RC or Gateway. Neither is great..

Since you want to revive this forum, were you on before under a different s/n? Or just surfing and happened to find it? Are we to understand that you currently live in JAX? Or still live outside of Florida and looking to move here this year?

Steve Collins 08-04-2017 03:19 PM

This anti turbine thing is gaining steam all over the country almost all fields have restrictions that are imposed on turbines but not on other types of models

No help for you folks in Florida but there aren't any clubs anywhere in our area (greater St. Louis metro area) that restrict turbines.

BarracudaHockey 08-04-2017 03:50 PM

We don't restrict them, but with a 350 foot runway and land fill mounds and trees, there's some practical limits as to what can be flown in and out of our field. Gateway is a little bit better without the hills but you're still looking at 400 feet or so of ashphault and if you run off either one you risk tearing up gear.

TimD. 08-04-2017 04:28 PM

Long runway 380ft
short runway 300ft

gunradd 08-04-2017 05:13 PM

Can someone teach me how to land on a 400ft strip?

600ft at ocala seems to be a good fit with good run offs. Planes and landing gear seem to live longer at those length's.

AU Tiger 08-04-2017 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by RCFlyerDan (Post 12357526)
Since you want to revive this forum, were you on before under a different s/n? Or just surfing and happened to find it? Are we to understand that you currently live in JAX? Or still live outside of Florida and looking to move here this year?

Happened to find it while looking at old jet threads. Ive been lurking for a while but I don't talk much on forums, I spend most of my time in observation of expert opinions...

Correct, I live in Jax

AU Tiger 08-04-2017 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by gunradd (Post 12357587)
Can someone teach me how to land on a 400ft strip?

600ft at ocala seems to be a good fit with good run offs. Planes and landing gear seem to live longer at those length's.

Is Ocala welcome to well behaved visitors?

RCFlyerDan 08-05-2017 05:02 AM

As Gunradd said, Ocala is the best the closest to you. Beautiful field in horse country. It is like taking a visit to the country for the day. The club allows you to camp on site 3 nights a week under beautiful oak trees in like a meadow setting. So, if you don't have a camper, get one. Still a two hour drive. If you are willing to move, then you will have more options. I moved from St. Pete to Cape Coral two years ago for the field here. The City of Cape Coral is confident enough and likes us being at our location, that the City is paying for a new runway for us. They have ground up the old runway, put down a new base, and getting ready to pave it next week. Not sure how wide it will be, but still 600 feet long with plenty of run off.. They are also rolling the ground next to the runway to make it more smooth. Our setting isn't as beautiful as Ocala's though. More of a desert in a failed neighborhood. Also, Cape Coral is listed as one of the best growing housing markets in Florida. Get a lot of house for the money here, but the cost are on the up swing.

I was going to post pictures of the new runway foundation, but something has changed on RCU for picture up loads. I press on the picture on toolbar to upload and a frame comes up wanting a URL, rather then a select picture from the computer. Anyone know what is going on with this feature?

j.duncker 08-05-2017 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by RCFlyerDan (Post 12357674)
I was going to post pictures of the new runway foundation, but something has changed on RCU for picture up loads. I press on the picture on toolbar to upload and a frame comes up wanting a URL, rather then a select picture from the computer. Anyone know what is going on with this feature?

Go to the Advanced option at the bottom of the reply box.

Click on the paperclip button in the toolbar.

Use the choose file option to load pics from your computer.

NB there is a size limit of 5 mb per pic. Our software will automatically generate thumbnails which will show in the post instead of the full size image.

I agree it is not obvious or intuitive and have asked the website techs to look at the problem.

RCFlyerDan 08-05-2017 07:40 AM

8 Attachment(s)
Thank you!

Cape Coral runway project. Now? How do I rotate? Or can you do that for me? Thanks!

BarracudaHockey 08-05-2017 08:02 AM

Actually Ocala is the best accessible field close to us, the best field thats closest to us is Area 51 but thats invite only.

RCFlyerDan 08-05-2017 08:09 AM

Funny you guys' have an Area 51! While living in St. Pete, I also belonged to Bay City Fliers, and they have an Area 52. Didn't allow jets though.

AU Tiger 08-05-2017 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by RCFlyerDan (Post 12357674)
As Gunradd said, Ocala is the best the closest to you. Beautiful field in horse country. It is like taking a visit to the country for the day. The club allows you to camp on site 3 nights a week under beautiful oak trees in like a meadow setting. So, if you don't have a camper, get one. Still a two hour drive. If you are willing to move, then you will have more options. I moved from St. Pete to Cape Coral two years ago for the field here. The City of Cape Coral is confident enough and likes us being at our location, that the City is paying for a new runway for us. They have ground up the old runway, put down a new base, and getting ready to pave it next week. Not sure how wide it will be, but still 600 feet long with plenty of run off.. They are also rolling the ground next to the runway to make it more smooth. Our setting isn't as beautiful as Ocala's though. More of a desert in a failed neighborhood. Also, Cape Coral is listed as one of the best growing housing markets in Florida. Get a lot of house for the money here, but the cost are on the up swing.

Thank you to you and Gunradd for the updates on options, looks like you guys are doing some great work on your field! I wish we could do the same with our fields, I am not sure if improvements regarding the runways are even possible with them being parks. Moving is not a great option for me because I own my own small business.

RCFlyerDan 08-05-2017 01:08 PM

Ours is in a City Park, Ocala is in a Florida Greenway space, I know that is wrong name for it, but it is on State property. About all of the flying fields in SE Florida are on City, County or State property. St Pete and Sarasota are on county dumps. So, it can be done. Also, at Cape Coral, but none of the other Clubs that I belonged to here in Florida, charges a $15 per member park tax. I think this is why they can spend money on us for the runway, is that we are in a City Park.
Our runway is being paved today!!
Here is the latest:

Notices | R/Sea Hawks

BarracudaHockey 08-05-2017 01:23 PM

Florida Greenway is 100 percent correct.

RCFlyerDan 08-05-2017 01:43 PM

Thank you Andy!

There is Florida Greenway space up in the JAX area. Find out the connection person from the Ocala President or Maybe Kris, Gunradd, could find out the contact person in the State? This way the State guy is familiar with R/C planes and jets and help get it through the paperwork system.

Greenways and Trails | Florida DEP
Here is the trail system and land opportunity!
http://www.dep.state.fl.us/gwt/FGTS_Plan/PDF/2016-2017%20Maps/Northeast%20Region.pdf

I know it isn't just that easy to call them up and get a place, but if you have the State Contact guy from Ocala, you might be able to work something out up there?

TTRotary 08-05-2017 02:59 PM

Deleted discussion from 5 years ago