RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Futaba Flight Condition question (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/11602758-futaba-flight-condition-question.html)

Dieselman1220 08-13-2014 07:25 PM

Futaba Flight Condition question

I tried a search but couldnt find an answer. Ive got conditions set up on a jet and I would like to slow down the speed at which a servo moves from one condition to the next.
I have up elevator programmed upon flap deployment. My flaps are slowed down so I would like my pre selected elevator position to slowly move and stop at the same time my flaps do as to not upset the airframe so much during the transition.
I can do it on a p mix by slowing down the in and out speed on the elevator servo, but cant figure out how to do it when switching conditions. BTW this is on a 12FGA. Thanks

Boomerang1 08-13-2014 08:28 PM

I don't use conditions on my 12FGA but another RCU user helped me out when trying to work
out gear door sequencing.

You can actually slow the speed of the SWITCH (in this case the flap switch) rather than individual servos.

Maybe you could try that & see if it works in both conditions? - John.

Geoff White 08-13-2014 10:03 PM

You need to use a facility called 'condition delay'. This will achieve exactly what you require.
I can't help you on how to do it on a 12fg as i have never owned that radio( only used a 14 and 18).

Bob_B 08-14-2014 03:05 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Joe you will find in your condition menu a delay setting, set your elevator and flap delay there. Once you have your first condition setup, there is a copy function that allow you to copy the settings to additional "conditions". The 12FGA has incredible programming capabilities.
I hope Futaba releases something similar to fill the gap between the 18mz and the 14sg.

Bob_B 08-14-2014 03:21 AM

Joe it sounds like you set the current delay in the end point menu so be sure to remove the delay there

FenderBean 08-14-2014 03:22 AM

This is how it works on the 14/18mz not sure if your programming is the same.

http://www.futaba-rc.com/faq/faq-14mz-q809.html

Bob_B 08-14-2014 03:40 AM

Double post

Dieselman1220 08-14-2014 11:05 AM

Bob_B you nailed it man thanks a bunch. My flaps were slowed via the AFR not on the end point page. But the delay in the condition select menu accomplished exactly what I was trying to do. Thanks again, It makes me love this radio
more and more every time I fly with it.

Bob_B 08-14-2014 11:09 AM

Hey, that's why I get paid the big bucks! :cool: Glad I could help.

BTW if your running Crow (Airbrake Menu) set it up on your condition switch too and then set the delay the same way.

Dieselman1220 08-14-2014 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Bob_B (Post 11860604)
Hey, that's why I get paid the big bucks! :cool: Glad I could help.

BTW if your running Crow (Airbrake Menu) set it up on your condition switch too and then set the delay the same way.

yup I am running crow on all 3 of my jets thats exactly how I ended up doing it.

Bob_B 08-14-2014 11:23 AM

Are you using Cortex Gyros in those jets?

Dieselman1220 08-14-2014 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Bob_B (Post 11860610)
Are you using Cortex Gyros in those jets?

Funny You ask Bob_B I just purchase a Cortex gyro yesterday for my CARF Hawk but I have not installed it. My other 2 jets are a BVM bobcat and a CARF flash and as of right now not planning to install one on any of those...YET

Bob_B 08-14-2014 11:34 AM

I'll post some screen shots of the Gryo menu setup I Have been using. If you have any questions on the Cortex let me know. I just helped a friend do a field install in his new Ultra Lightning and he's hooked!

Bob_B 08-14-2014 03:25 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Before you try this i suggest you copy your model to memory and experiment with the copy.
Gyro menu settings for your initial flights. This setup features an off position.
photo 1 shows the settings for the off position
photo 2 shows the settings for low gain
photo 3 shows the settings for high gain
for this setup select a switch OTHER than your condition don't worry it is easy to reassign the switch later

number27 08-14-2014 06:00 PM

Would it be the same setup for the iGryo in the gyro menu??????

Bob_B 08-14-2014 06:10 PM

3 Attachment(s)
These photos show an advanced setup with three rates on your condition switch and the highest gain changing to bank two. You need to change from group to single
Photo 1 is low gain
photo 2 is mid gain
photo 3 is high gain switched to bank two this was by changing the type to AVCS

Bob_B 08-14-2014 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by number27 (Post 11860839)
Would it be the same setup for the iGryo in the gyro menu??????

i honestly don't know, sorry.

smchale 08-14-2014 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Bob_B (Post 11860754)
Before you try this i suggest you copy your model to memory and experiment with the copy.

This is the best advice Bob has given me over the years, especially with the 12FG which is a great Tx. Always make a copy of your model, tweak your settings and if you get your desired result keep it. If not, start over but you still have your original programming.

mauryr 08-15-2014 01:56 AM

I noticed when you slow the independent trims (elevator usually), there seems to be a bug with the T18 which actually slows down the speed of your elevator servo, rather than just reaching the required offset slowly.
This scared me and made me opt out of using this function: the danger is whenever you change your flaps deployment state, you basically won't have reactive elevator control for these 2 or 3 seconds while the sequence completes.
Did anyone else notice this?

Bob_B 08-15-2014 02:41 AM

Are you using the servo speed to do the delay which menu are you setting the delay?

mauryr 08-15-2014 03:26 AM

Servo slow on the flaps from the channels screen, condition slow on the condition screen (don't recall the exact names, but should be more or less like this).
While the condition offset is being reached, the elevator servo becomes very slow, and goes back to normal right after it ends. I set both the condition slow and servo slow to the same amount, so the responsiveness comes back right after flaps stop moving.

bidrseed2 08-15-2014 05:41 AM

Mauryr,
ive withessed the exact same behaviour.
ive yet to find a solution.

mauryr 08-15-2014 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by bidrseed2 (Post 11861064)
Mauryr,
ive withessed the exact same behaviour.
ive yet to find a solution.

I don't think there's one: I just wrapped it up as a bug and stopped using the function, I think it's too dangerous.
It's a software issue and futaba could address it with updates (and maybe they did, I did not update my T18 since I bought it soon after it was released to market).
Anyone with an up-to-date firmware care to test it for us please?

Thanks!

Dieselman1220 08-15-2014 06:54 AM

I noticed the same issue with my 12fg when I was setting it up. Mine is not set that slow I think 18 was the number I went with.
it takes about a second for the elevator to move to the set position. I put a few flights on my bobcat setting it up I never noticed any issue at all. But I agree with you I wouldn't go too slow.

Bob_B 08-15-2014 06:55 AM

Please Post a photo of the screen or screens where you are setting the delays, something does not sound right.
i recently helped a friend setup his UL using an 18MZ and did NOT see this behavior.