RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   kingtech turbine rc engine k70g2 fatal problem (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/11656321-kingtech-turbine-rc-engine-k70g2-fatal-problem.html)

Tip22v 03-12-2019 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by Auburn02 (Post 12509386)
I'm living on the edge. :eek:

As Barry mentioned, all of the ones the factory diagnosed with this issue failed within the first 3 hours of use. One individual did post that at ~400 minutes his failed, but I'll consider that an outlier if not even a completely unrelated issue. In any event mine has about 450 minutes on it without a hiccup, I'll run it until it needs service or the plane meets a more gruesome demise and have it upgraded at that time.

If I had 400 minutes on mine I would probably do the same and just wait for the 25 hour, however mine only has about 1 hour on it. I sure don't want to lose a jet because of a failed component. I would prefer to send it in and get it upgraded.

extra300s 03-12-2019 08:40 AM

Agree fully with that thinking! Some real cowboys here I see.

Auburn02 03-12-2019 08:46 AM

Is that some kind of anti-American slur? :eek:

Yeehaw :cool:

extra300s 03-12-2019 09:01 AM

Not at all. Just dont follow the logic. Clearly these turbines have a flaw on the wheel. All k70's should be upgraded asap. Unless u want to stand a good chance of damaging your jet.

gunradd 03-12-2019 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by extra300s (Post 12509731)
Not at all. Just dont follow the logic. Clearly these turbines have a flaw on the wheel. All k70's should be upgraded asap. Unless u want to stand a good chance of damaging your jet.

in reality it is a very small number of engines that have had issues out of all the ones sold. That being said if parts are aviable then get it done.

Auburn02 03-12-2019 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by extra300s (Post 12509731)

I guess I don't see it so clearly. I applaud Barry and Kingtech for recognizing whatever it was that they found, but even he said less than 2% of the K70s have exhibited a problem and all of the ones they had examined had similar properties (time, geographical region, wear evidence) of which I have nothing in common - I don't feel others should base their response on my own though, that is for each owner to decide. As to the 2% number, I'd wager about 2% of turbines at any jet meet I attend have some kind of problem during the event, it's just the odds we deal with. To call 2% a "good chance" is just where we have to disagree, but no harm there.

Now the one thing I am unsure of is the cost to have the turbine upgraded, or if there is one. Barry mentioned that the new wheel is "available for warranty replacements" - so is it being replaced for free under warranty? Well in that case I will send mine in, because he mentioned that the new wheel will have higher thrust at lower RPM and I do like the sound of that. But not because I'm worried about mine spontaneously blowing up.

Len Todd 03-12-2019 10:13 AM

Speaking of cowboys, it is very clear that you can lead a horse to water. But you can't make them think! Or was that drink? Can't really tell. But one thing for sure is there are a lot of really "dumb horses" around! Speaking of dumb horses, if you are wondering what to do or what the situation is with your KT, then call KT. IMHO - If you just can't get yourself to do that and act professional while do so, then you deserve what you get! I wanted to keep tabs on this issue for a couple of our members with KT70s. But I am unsubscribing to this stupidity.

Auburn02 03-12-2019 10:49 AM

Wow. Speaking of acting unprofessional, that reply takes the cake. I thought we were having civil discourse here, your reply not so much.

Hans Hilmar 03-12-2019 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by gunradd (Post 12509732)

in reality it is a very small number of engines that have had issues out of all the ones sold. That being said if parts are aviable then get it done.

It may be because they are not flying, mine is still in the box... will not use it before it's upgraded.

Tip22v 03-12-2019 03:07 PM

I just heard back from an email I sent to Dirk earlier today, he said as of today only the factory is doing the upgrades so if you want the upgrade you have to send it to Tiawain. -Tom

j.duncker 03-13-2019 05:43 AM

C'mon guys keep it polite. No more cowboy references. This is a serious issue.

Desertlakesflying 03-18-2019 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Len Todd (Post 12509749)
Speaking of cowboys, it is very clear that you can lead a horse to water. But you can't make them think! Or was that drink? Can't really tell. But one thing for sure is there are a lot of really "dumb horses" around! Speaking of dumb horses, if you are wondering what to do or what the situation is with your KT, then call KT. IMHO - If you just can't get yourself to do that and act professional while do so, then you deserve what you get! I wanted to keep tabs on this issue for a couple of our members with KT70s. But I am unsubscribing to this stupidity.

+1

Nothing like throwing a fit on a forum instead of picking up the phone...

extra300s 03-18-2019 07:58 PM

Picking up the phone. You must be joking. Not all of the users here live in the US of A....

jetflyr 03-19-2019 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by extra300s (Post 12511413)
Picking up the phone. You must be joking. Not all of the users here live in the US of A....

I agree with you on this one - however, our European friends always tell us that.
When I lived in Germany in the '80's, it was prohibitively expensive to call home, but today, with internet provided phone service, it is ridiculously cheap.
Compare your ISP companies rates and maybe (hopefully?) it will be much less than you thought.
That being said, Dirk is much better getting ahold of via e-mail, and Barry is better via his cell. But they have always gotten back to me in a timely manner.

Good luck regardless!
Greg

speedheli 03-19-2019 03:36 PM

Are there European pilots having the same issues with K70 G2?
Ray

jetflyr 03-19-2019 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by speedheli (Post 12511607)
Are there European pilots having the same issues with K70 G2?
Ray

Ray - If you are referring to my post above, that was NOT directed to this issue. Over the last ??? years, whenever there is a problem with a European manufacturer not replying in (what the poster felt) was a reasonable amount of time - the answer has always been "just call them". NOTHING to do with the K70 issue.
If not what you were referring to, I apologize for jumping back in.
Greg

speedheli 03-20-2019 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by jetflyr (Post 12511647)
Ray - If you are referring to my post above, that was NOT directed to this issue. Over the last ??? years, whenever there is a problem with a European manufacturer not replying in (what the poster felt) was a reasonable amount of time - the answer has always been "just call them". NOTHING to do with the K70 issue.
If not what you were referring to, I apologize for jumping back in.
Greg

@ Greg: I´m not referring to your post, it was just a question from a European Kingtech newbie, having his K70 NIB already at home for a while, waiting for the backordered plane.
Sorry for my unclear question.

Swisstyphoon 05-07-2019 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by speedheli (Post 12511680)
@ Greg: I´m not referring to your post, it was just a question from a European Kingtech newbie, having his K70 NIB already at home for a while, waiting for the backordered plane.
Sorry for my unclear question.

I spoke to Jean Marc from Kingtech EU last weekend at the Prowing event. He said that so far 4 units had failed in Europe. We can now send in the Turbine, and he will install the new version of the Turbine wheel.

ductom2002 06-16-2022 07:58 AM

Hi guys,

a what serial number was the new compressor wheel installed?

I could get a used K70G2 and like to avoid an engine failure mid flight.

Thank you!

Thomas

Desertlakesflying 06-17-2022 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by ductom2002 (Post 12731529)
Hi guys,

a what serial number was the new compressor wheel installed?

I could get a used K70G2 and like to avoid an engine failure mid flight.

Thank you!

Thomas

I'm sure if you call or email Kingtech they will let you know.

ductom2002 06-18-2022 09:52 AM

The current owner talked to kingtech already.
it has the upgrade installled.
I will try to get in contact with Jean-Marc Berg.
Maybe he shares that Information with us.