RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Powerbox Core radio and set up thread. (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/11660334-powerbox-core-radio-set-up-thread.html)

Zeeb 11-02-2021 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by RCFlyerDan (Post 12700948)
Sometimes, neither do you!

Why don't you just move to Sydney and you two can hang out and be buddies?

Zeeb 11-02-2021 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by IFLYBVM2 (Post 12700950)
How about a post to the thread that might actually be helpful to me (and maybe others ) , instead of useless childish rants and bickering ?

I am moving to Core from a 12X, and need to know what is the suggested orientation and placement of the antennas on the PB receivers-
With two 26Ds for example, are the longer leads from the Rx critical, or is it just the tips of the leads themselves ? I know with the 12X there are minimum distances required between 2 antennas-is this also true for PB ?
A picture is worth 1000 words as they say, so feel free to share pics of a proper setup if possible. Apologies if this has already been covered, but I did not see it.
And a huge 'Thank You" to everyone that has contributed useful information to this thread-it has helped me learn lots so far.
-Mike Oberst

To some extent, mine are done as Andy has laid out, however the F100 with the full bypass is a bit different since things are so damn tight in there. We (my builder guy) were not even able to find a place for a Mercury so it's got a Pioneer with a pair of 26D's, iSat gyro and GPS sensors. The rx's are both mounted to the sides of the fuse as Andy said but both on the same side. The lower one is near the leading edge of the wing while the forward one is higher up and is in front of the cockpit area. I cannot remember where we wound up putting the GPS but we had a hell of a time getting it to work. Turned out there was a hardware issue and the use of a small adapter of some sort in the middle of a six inch extension along with the used of the GPS III sensor was required. Turned out it didn't work right even with the sensor sitting on top of the instrument panel, it only worked on rare occasion.

Turns out that there was a hardware issue with the early Pioneers and PB tried to fix it with the new version 3 of the GPS and the funky little whatever it was in the middle of the extension. They finally came out with a fix for the Pioneer and Adam at PB USA can do the fix, I had to have two of the Pioneers fixed. All the newer "fixed" Pioneers have a green sticker on the backside of the unit, sort of like Mercury PE's huh? Do not use a Pioneer that has no dot and the version 2 GPS sensors work on it as well, it's not necessary to have the 3's. Haven't tried setting up the gyro as only two of the models have been flown and only a couple of times each but the GPS work great. When you first turn them on at field, it takes a bit for them to locate and lock onto the sats. After the first time that day, they lock up within a few seconds of turning on the model.

DUCMOZ 11-02-2021 10:53 AM

Hi Zeeb, thanks for the info. Are the pioneers okay if we don't want to use GPS ?

Thanks

Behzad

Zeeb 11-02-2021 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by DUCMOZ (Post 12701004)
Hi Zeeb, thanks for the info. Are the pioneers okay if we don't want to use GPS ?

Thanks

Behzad

Sure, I just wanted the GPS for it's ability to modify the gyro settings. Should really help a turbine on a crosswind landing as it can increase the control deflections as the model slows down.

BarracudaHockey 11-02-2021 12:14 PM

Meh, I just add 5 points of gain when the flaps are at full :)

Zeeb 11-02-2021 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey (Post 12701019)
Meh, I just add 5 points of gain when the flaps are at full :)

OLD SCHOOL....... lol

OR, are you running Cortex gyros?

DUCMOZ 11-02-2021 01:17 PM

I have not used a Gyro in the jets yet. Really oooold school. (maybe i shouldn't admit that!):)

Zeeb 11-02-2021 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by DUCMOZ (Post 12701025)
I have not used a Gyro in the jets yet. Really oooold school. (maybe i shouldn't admit that!):)

That's okay, I just wanted to take this opportunity to mess with Andy because I really do think he's a Cortex guy from before PB came out with their iGyro 3E which is incorporated in the Mercury and up PE's, but you have to ad the gyro to the Pioneer if you want it.

BarracudaHockey 11-03-2021 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by Zeeb (Post 12701022)
OLD SCHOOL....... lol

OR, are you running Cortex gyros?

I'm a fan of the Cortex, it's a great gyro. But with the integration of the isat gyro to the Core, it's a pretty easy decision to run the igyro with my Pioneer setups.

husafreak 11-03-2021 02:26 PM

Not sure why I lost my subscription to this forum, looks like plenty of new discussions.

Anywhoo, I'm trimming a pattern plane and the rudder is so powerful that I need my K/E Rudder to Elevator mix to come in right away (with very little stick travel) and then flatten out so I don't get any more Elevator travel mixed in than necessary for a K/E pass. I'm trying to do this in the curve editor but not very happy with the results. I can't get it to do what I want it to do! I want it to be a global mix so the Elevator mix limit is kept regardless of high or low rates. Any ideas?

Halcyon66 11-04-2021 11:51 PM

https://forum.powerbox-systems.com/f...core-for-sale/

Thread has been removed???

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...a4200e5c4c.jpg

Gunter bought it, well at least everyone knows now what a Core + 5 Rx's is worth now days.

Regards,

clavin 11-05-2021 03:35 AM

What did it sell for? I am probably selling mine too.. Neve been used in any serious planes only in my test foams..

marksp 11-24-2021 11:10 AM

Smoke-Systems

Anyone aware of US on-line channel for Tele-Bridge Jeti EX -> P2Bus protocol translator?

Cheers

flyalan 12-03-2021 06:54 PM

Telemetry Bridge US retailer

Originally Posted by marksp (Post 12704044)
Smoke-Systems

Anyone aware of US on-line channel for Tele-Bridge Jeti EX -> P2Bus protocol translator?

Cheers

I have not found one either. I did order several from the Smoke Systems website. They were quick to respond and get them shipped.
cheers
Alan

BarracudaHockey 12-08-2021 06:30 AM

2.70 is live!

Linux Application V2.70

Transceiver V1.37

Stickcontroller V1.5
  • Telemetry controls added
  • Servo steps settings are now 0.1%
  • Flightmodes can be swapped or copied in the tree
  • Continous vario tones for descend
  • Vario tones optimized
  • Independend volume control for vario tones
  • Time zone locations added
  • Device information added in the file manager
  • Volume control bugfixed
  • Acapella handler optimized
  • Telemetry logger improved
  • Backround processes improved in the Linux system

miksterr 12-08-2021 05:16 PM

also in 2.70

A few more features of 2.7

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey (Post 12705911)
2.70 is live!

Linux Application V2.70

Transceiver V1.37

Stickcontroller V1.5
  • Telemetry controls added
  • Servo steps settings are now 0.1%
  • Flightmodes can be swapped or copied in the tree
  • Continous vario tones for descend
  • Vario tones optimized
  • Independend volume control for vario tones
  • Time zone locations added
  • Device information added in the file manager
  • Volume control bugfixed
  • Acapella handler optimized
  • Telemetry logger improved
  • Backround processes improved in the Linux system
  • No Trim Click Sounds (for some)
  • Volume reduced by 50%
  • Random (not all users) no speech
  • Randon (again, a lucky dip) freezing

David Gladwin 12-09-2021 03:23 AM

In less than 24 hours since 2.70 2.71 has been released restoring speech volumes. Customer service par excellence.
Speech worked perfectly ( except volume) after 2.70, trim clicks good, and no freezing, so far after about 1 hour of operation.

Jannica 12-09-2021 04:32 AM

Hello Powerbox users!

I never got around to buy the Core although I had my finger hoovering above the “Buy-button” quite a few times. It simply was to much money for one more radio that I really didn’t need I guess. But now the Atom is coming around and the temptation is back on track. So I am curios to hear what you people think about it and what you expect from it? As far as I understand it doesn’t differ very much from the Core in terms of what functionality you get but still it is a lot cheaper if you could talk about that in this price range. Is this meant to be Powerbox´s break through among the average modeller? Will it replace the Core or will it be a sort of entry level model? Will it take up the competition with Jeti? What are your thoughts?

Jannica

Sweden

husafreak 12-09-2021 05:17 AM

I don’t think anyone here expects the ATOM to replace the CORE but the answer to all your other questions is, I think, yes. Most of us would be happy to see PB increases revenue through the sale of a “lower spec” radio.
IMHO the new high end radios are costly due in large part to the Tx interface with its user and the ATOM will have what the CORE has there, great feel and ergonomics and Linux interface.

jcterrettaz 12-09-2021 06:06 AM

Mine has one season and .... dont regret for one second buying one.( used ).few problems with broken switch and charger pin ...service at Power Box USA its #1 fast turn around ..and not to expensive ( shipping yes)
very simple to program and feel good when you fly..

Halcyon66 12-09-2021 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by David Gladwin (Post 12706086)
In less than 24 hours since 2.70 2.71 has been released restoring speech volumes. Customer service par excellence.
Speech worked perfectly ( except volume) after 2.70, trim clicks good, and no freezing, so far after about 1 hour of operation.

Seriously and you think that is good?

Maybe they should have tested the update before they released it, and amazingly it is still working after an hour. Yep that what everyone has to come to expect from PB nowadays.

What is happening with the freezing screen issue, or is that just not talked about any longer?

It is hardware or software related and they cannot figure it out. Good thing the Atom is not using the same screen and software.

Regards,

miksterr 12-09-2021 01:47 PM

Thorough testing

Originally Posted by David Gladwin (Post 12706086)

David, I think your testing was as comprehensive as PBs when they released 2.7 :) So an hour on the bench and all is good?

So at a guess, likely by the time you wrote the above "whatever you call it" PB spiel, I reckon that maybe, just maybe 20% of Core owners have done the update (either 2.7 or 2.71) and of them how many have tested it, flown a plane for a few hours? Maybe a couple.

Maybe wait a week or 2 for the new version as the word "update" invokes thoughts of better things. This is more of a bug fix download, anyway I digress - lets wait until it has been properly tested by users to make wild claims of "Customer service par excellence."

Mike.

stuart_80 12-09-2021 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Halcyon66 (Post 12706179)
Seriously and you think that is good?

Maybe they should have tested the update before they released it, and amazingly it is still working after an hour. Yep that what everyone has to come to expect from PB nowadays.

What is happening with the freezing screen issue, or is that just not talked about any longer?

It is hardware or software related and they cannot figure it out. Good thing the Atom is not using the same screen and software.

Regards,

Well you can let us all know how you get on with V2.70……oh…..wait…

more 12-09-2021 04:50 PM

There is still no a speech for countdown timer function like other brand even in the latest firmware.Is it too difficult for Powerbox to write the program?

miksterr 12-09-2021 05:56 PM

Seems the case

Originally Posted by more (Post 12706235)
There is still no a speech for countdown timer function like other brand even in the latest firmware.Is it too difficult for Powerbox to write the program?

I agree user More. User requests for what seems simple things have been on the PB "To do" list for over 24 months! What? A $200 DX6 can do what you ask but the worlds premier transmitter cannot)

Small receivers promised 2+ years - yes years ago. The ability to put the model pic as a widget.

The other forum is so controlled that all these posts will be conveniently moved soon enough - nothing to see here. Anyway in the words of so many fan boys (When something PB fails, or freezes or is not implemented after years) why do you need a countdown timer with speech? Just take your wife with you, a stopwatch and get her to yell out "LAND"