RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Powerbox Core radio and set up thread. (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/11660334-powerbox-core-radio-set-up-thread.html)

V1650 10-07-2022 09:31 PM

So, I have read all 60 pages of this thread and:

1) Ordered an Atom through DA Australia. Should be arriving soon :)

2) Seriously considering changing my location 🤡

BarracudaHockey 10-08-2022 02:49 AM

Congrats you will love it, come here if you have any questions, its the same (basically) software as the Core so the advice is pretty much interchangable.

CostasV 10-08-2022 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by V1650 (Post 12746704)
So, I have read all 60 pages of this thread and:

You will like it... BTW what radio system are you coming from...?

Also purchased my Core from DA not too long ago. You will find the way it handles 'Functions' in the programming makes it all too easy to accomplish things that end up being quite convoluted on other radios.

V1650 10-08-2022 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by CostasV (Post 12746796)
BTW what radio system are you coming from...?

Back in the day JR X347, X388S (loved them). I then had a brief period back in the hobby with a Spektrum DX7...

Now after many years I finally have time to devote to the hobby again so I bought a 18SZ. It's a good radio but I expected
better. Nowhere near the level of development I was expecting 30 years after the X388S for example.

So then I spent some time researching and narrowed it down to Jeti and Powerbox. Seems like I couldn't lose either way
but for me Powerbox came out on top, particularly after releasing the Atom.

CostasV 10-08-2022 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by V1650 (Post 12746800)
Back in the day JR X347, X388S (loved them).

Similar this way... Started with JR - Max6, then X347, 10SX, 10SXII, 10X then my last JR being a 12X. Switched to Futaba 14SG then the 18SZ when that first became available.

Modelflight are just 10mins from home and I was also looking at Jeti closely since they are the distributor. Only thing was is that I just did not feel comfortable with the Jeti radios in my hands. I'm a 'pinch the sticks' pilot and cradle the transmitter with my middle and ring fingers spread in between the top and front switches.

The PowerBox Tx's still follow the classic styling that my old Tx's featured so I chose a Core... and I really like how comfy it sits in my hands.

Jannica 11-04-2022 02:29 AM

After years of hesitation I finally made up my mind to order a Powerbox radio system and yesterday I received a brand new Atom transmitter. What a beautiful radio! Coming from Jeti it feels like changing from Skoda to Mercedes. Now I have som learning to do. It shall be great fun.

Jannica
Sweden

skunkwurk 11-04-2022 06:18 AM

You won't regret it. I hesitated a lot as well having spent so much time on Futaba.

Racer686 11-04-2022 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Jannica (Post 12749886)
After years of hesitation I finally made up my mind to order a Powerbox radio system and yesterday I received a brand new Atom transmitter. What a beautiful radio! Coming from Jeti it feels like changing from Skoda to Mercedes. Now I have som learning to do. It shall be great fun.

Jannica
Sweden

I'm in the middle of deciding between Core/Atom and Jeti Ds-16 gen2 as we speak. As you are someone who came from Jeti, what do you see as the differences/advantages of the Powerbox system?

Thanks

BarracudaHockey 11-04-2022 11:24 AM

Number one answer to that would be the feel in my hands, I hate the feel of the Jeti radios.

RCFlyerDan 11-04-2022 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Racer686 (Post 12749921)
I'm in the middle of deciding between Core/Atom and Jeti Ds-16 gen2 as we speak. As you are someone who came from Jeti, what do you see as the differences/advantages of the Powerbox system?

Thanks

In the last 8 years, I’ve owned, installed, and flow JR12X, Jeti 16/24, Graupner, FUT, and now Core. My main goal was dual transmitter transmission with dual receivers. My JR12X was becoming dated, and I wanted newer technology and the dual transmission. I had a local Jet buddy flying Jeti, and he talked me into it. When I went to Jeti, the Core wasn’t out, or was still extremely expensive above Jeti’s cost. Jeti is a very heavy radio to hold. I don’t fly with a tray or any neck/shoulder straps. As most know, the case is CNC out of a block of aluminum. This makes it almost indestructible. I’m good a programming the different brands of transmitters, since I do a lot of instructing. For me, Jeti is the most difficult radio to program. There isn’t a programming flow when setting up a new plane/jet. You have to go all over the place to set up a plane. Core, you don’t, because it has a logical flow of setup. Once you have the plane setup with Flt Modes, all programming and mixing is basically accomplished on one page in Functions, with a lot of options in other programming pages. You can add channels to existing channels, mixing, end points, etc in Functions. Jeti, you need the videos online, or you’re lost. There are a few things that I miss about Jeti, like their ease of telemetry after a flight at the field. Even if you turn the transmitter OFF, you can go back in and see the whole flight at the field without a laptop. Core is catching up and has the telemetry of the maximum for the flight, and you have to remember to look at it, otherwise you’ll have to wait until you have a computer.
I have two jets that I refurbished and went a little overboard with CF. Both jets with dual receivers moved everywhere in both jets would loose reception during a reverse 1/2 Cuban. The engine and thrust tube added to the reception issues. Other than the JR12X and the Core, all of the others lost both receivers’ reception from the transmitter. Fortunately , 2.4 is fast and I would get both receivers and jet coming out of the top. Core has never lost reception in both of those jets, which I still regularly fly. I only fly turbines. The Core I feel the most connected to the jet. I’m never stressed concerning loss of reception or the jet as I was with Jeti, and the others. With Jeti, James at Esprit even replaced the dual RF transmission board. Didn’t help. The issue is in my jets with CF. But the Core has never had an issue! And I’ve never had to rearrange the receivers trying to find the best location.
All in all, at the time that I went from the JR12X, I wished that I would have gone directly to PB Core.

DUCMOZ 11-04-2022 02:48 PM

I am terrible in programing and have always used JR and 12X being the last one. I got a core and by watching a couple of videos, figured it out. If this helps.

David Gladwin 11-05-2022 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by RCFlyerDan (Post 12749927)
In the last 8 years, I’ve owned, installed, and flow JR12X, Jeti 16/24, Graupner, FUT, and now Core. My main goal was dual transmitter transmission with dual receivers. My JR12X was becoming dated, and I wanted newer technology and the dual transmission. I had a local Jet buddy flying Jeti, and he talked me into it. When I went to Jeti, the Core wasn’t out, or was still extremely expensive above Jeti’s cost. Jeti is a very heavy radio to hold. I don’t fly with a tray or any neck/shoulder straps. As most know, the case is CNC out of a block of aluminum. This makes it almost indestructible. I’m good a programming the different brands of transmitters, since I do a lot of instructing. For me, Jeti is the most difficult radio to program. There isn’t a programming flow when setting up a new plane/jet. You have to go all over the place to set up a plane. Core, you don’t, because it has a logical flow of setup. Once you have the plane setup with Flt Modes, all programming and mixing is basically accomplished on one page in Functions, with a lot of options in other programming pages. You can add channels to existing channels, mixing, end points, etc in Functions. Jeti, you need the videos online, or you’re lost. There are a few things that I miss about Jeti, like their ease of telemetry after a flight at the field. Even if you turn the transmitter OFF, you can go back in and see the whole flight at the field without a laptop. Core is catching up and has the telemetry of the maximum for the flight, and you have to remember to look at it, otherwise you’ll have to wait until you have a computer.
I have two jets that I refurbished and went a little overboard with CF. Both jets with dual receivers moved everywhere in both jets would loose reception during a reverse 1/2 Cuban. The engine and thrust tube added to the reception issues. Other than the JR12X and the Core, all of the others lost both receivers’ reception from the transmitter. Fortunately , 2.4 is fast and I would get both receivers and jet coming out of the top. Core has never lost reception in both of those jets, which I still regularly fly. I only fly turbines. The Core I feel the most connected to the jet. I’m never stressed concerning loss of reception or the jet as I was with Jeti, and the others. With Jeti, James at Esprit even replaced the dual RF transmission board. Didn’t help. The issue is in my jets with CF. But the Core has never had an issue! And I’ve never had to rearrange the receivers trying to find the best location.
All in all, at the time that I went from the JR12X, I wished that I would have gone directly to PB Core.

Indeed a very interesting assessment.
I have no real knowledge of Jeti but it does receive considerable praise and support from one of my flying friends, so it has to be good, and I see its widespread use in UK.
That said, the RF performance of my Core has been perfect.
Since its inception I have used Weatronic radio with JR 12 X, a very powerful combination, used to fly all but one of my jet fleet, 14 models, with total success. I review the radio performance , recorded in the TX on the SD card for EVERY flight and it has ALWAYS been perfect. About 2000 turbine flights with a range of engines from x 45 to Olympus.
PoweBox took over Weatronic and the RF section of Core is based on the Weatronic system, so it comes as absolutely no surprise that the Core RF is performing extremely well.
I have no commercial connection with PB ( but a very satisfied customer for many years) but the Core is gradually replacing the ageing Wea,/JR combination in all my jet fleet, except one with JR 28 x , another fine radio.
I have little doubt that the Atom will be widely adopted.

I have just programmed my Core with a Competition sr for this Hawk, SkyGate plus Olympus, to replace the ageing Wea/JR combo.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...88753f81a.jpeg

Racer686 11-05-2022 07:00 AM

Some very good points have been made by you guys. I've been watching Harry C videos on Jeti and it just doesn't seem to flow when programming as it should. Go here, do this, then go back hear to enable, then jump here to show it. It just seems "more" than it should. Core on the other hand seems to fit my thinking process. I just wish there was more online about the system, like on Youtube or even these forums. Maybe it's the case of figuring out Core quickly and there's no need for a million videos on how to do things in the transmitter. I got sidetracked with Jeti over all the receivers, sensors available, LUA scripts for pretty displays on my jets, maybe I got mesmerized by the bling or sizzle and forgot about the steak?

I am also a pincher now vs thumb flyer and wondered if anyone has comments on feel or fit using the pinch style?

I'm building my first "expensive jet" this winter, the CARF Rebel Pro and wanted a radio system that is commensurate with it, my only worry with PB is the perceived attitude of the company (Richard) when discussing products ie: We made the software this way, why would you want another way? It was this feature, not that one, too bad for you, we know best. These are my perceptions of his discussions on the PB Forum, and I could be way off. Don't worry, I already know what lurks on the Jeti side, company wise, as I currently fly with Frsky and a certain Jeti person is always going off in that thread.

Anyways, anymore thoughts are much appreciated.

DUCMOZ 11-05-2022 07:45 AM

Just a clarification for my posts. If I say one is good, it no way means that the other is not good or bad. Just like everything else, there are a lot of high quality products in the market and each individual could have his / her preference and experience.

Behzad

BarracudaHockey 11-05-2022 07:46 AM

I pinch, it feels fine on the Core. I did have the heavier springs installed on mine.

I would have no heartburn putting a Core/PB setup in the Rebel Pro, its in my Rebel Hot and BVM F-18

You will be a North America customer and will deal with Adam and Danny for support, don't worry about Richard.

RCFlyerDan 11-05-2022 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey (Post 12750025)
You will be a North America customer and will deal with Adam and Danny for support, don't worry about Richard.

Adam is awesome! He is patient, courteous and KNOWS the radio, both transmitters and Mercury SRS, Competition SR2, etc.
There are videos out there. I think Adam made some. But, the reason why you don’t find many, is exactly that, they aren’t needed. If you can program Spektrum, FUT, JR, 😂 and IF you can program Jeti. Core is a piece of cake. You will be amazed at what it can do, and how easy it is to figure out. The first jet that I programmed on my own with Jeti, using previous knowledge and the videos, it took me two weeks to figure it out and feel comfortable with the maiden. The Core took me a few hours. Truth!
As someone mentioned, you really don’t need to go to the PB forum with Richard.
I flew a couple years with a German jet buddy. The one that talked me into Jeti. He told me that the German language doesn’t have words for a lot of English words. Therefore, they seem short in some cases.
The Rebel flys awesome! Install the PB and you’ll be a happy camper.

Zeeb 11-05-2022 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Racer686 (Post 12750020)
Some very good points have been made by you guys. I've been watching Harry C videos on Jeti and it just doesn't seem to flow when programming as it should. Go here, do this, then go back hear to enable, then jump here to show it. It just seems "more" than it should. Core on the other hand seems to fit my thinking process. I just wish there was more online about the system, like on Youtube or even these forums. Maybe it's the case of figuring out Core quickly and there's no need for a million videos on how to do things in the transmitter. I got sidetracked with Jeti over all the receivers, sensors available, LUA scripts for pretty displays on my jets, maybe I got mesmerized by the bling or sizzle and forgot about the steak?

I am also a pincher now vs thumb flyer and wondered if anyone has comments on feel or fit using the pinch style?

I'm building my first "expensive jet" this winter, the CARF Rebel Pro and wanted a radio system that is commensurate with it, my only worry with PB is the perceived attitude of the company (Richard) when discussing products ie: We made the software this way, why would you want another way? It was this feature, not that one, too bad for you, we know best. These are my perceptions of his discussions on the PB Forum, and I could be way off. Don't worry, I already know what lurks on the Jeti side, company wise, as I currently fly with Frsky and a certain Jeti person is always going off in that thread.

Anyways, anymore thoughts are much appreciated.

While Adam from PowerBox USA has a few good videos, a guy named Martin Pickering who was in on the Beta test team as was Barracudahockey. Martin has lots more videos and they are quite thorough. You just need to prioritize them by release date or you might get confused as in the later videos, he talks about things you probably would not understand without the prerequisites.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ng+core+radios

Racer686 11-05-2022 02:55 PM

[QUOTE=Zeeb;12750042]While Adam from PowerBox USA has a few good videos, a guy named Martin Pickering who was in on the Beta test team as was Barracudahockey. Martin has lots more videos and they are quite thorough. You just need to prioritize them by release date or you might get confused as in the later videos, he talks about things you probably would not understand without the prerequisites.
/QUOTE]

Thanks, I have watched all of Martin's, Daniel Diaz's, MattyMatt's, and any others that have videos on the Core (more than a few were in German too). You could watch them all by the time you're done a pot of coffee.

CostasV 11-05-2022 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by Racer686 (Post 12750020)
I've been watching Harry C videos on Jeti and it just doesn't seem to flow when programming as it should. Go here, do this, then go back hear to enable, then jump here to show it. It just seems "more" than it should. Core on the other hand seems to fit my thinking process.

You need to remember that the current Jeti radio base software is actually quite old in the whole scheme of things. PB software for the Core and Atom is still fairly new and running on a latter hardware platform design so PB had an advantage in knowing what the competition already had out in the market and they obviously took that into account when developing their software and hardware.

So you expect to have something that is way more intuitive for pilots to program with on such a radio - This is really the biggest downfall of OpenTx type radios which can be a painful exercise in setting up a complex aircraft config from scratch and also manage the OS long term - on a Core/Atom it is really fast and intuitive to setup complex configurations with telemetry and various voice prompts and alerts.

I find the PB forum to be quite fine.... and yes some responses seem short, sharp and sweet... but like others have stated, sometimes it possibly is just the language aspect that comes into play.

Just recently I posted a programming solution on one of their long running threads that many were discussing feverishly as no one had a programming solution for and yes some people were just saying that you 'don't need this feature' as at the time no solution was apparent... This is just normal human behaviour though and is simply just a proud German Core or Atom owner that is proud of their home grown product, so just keep that in mind when reading replies as their forum is really a useful resource.

Jannica 11-06-2022 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by Racer686 (Post 12749921)

Thanks

I really like the Jeti system and I think it is a very competent and smooth working system. I have used it for close to 10 years by now and I have had very few complains about it during this time. I have used it for everything from quadrocopters to gliders, gas and jets. It has performed flawlessly and never let me down. The YouTube tutorials of Harry Curzon also ads a lot of extra value to the system as a whole. I can without a doubt recommend Jeti to others.

As for the Powerbox system I have had the Atom transmitter in my possession for a few days now and I haven’t even flown it yet. So, I really can´t tell what’s best and why.

I bought the Atom transmitter because I was curious about it and I wanted to try something new. I have had the feeling that the Core/Atom is the beginning of something new and that the Jeti system has slowed down in its development. I am in the position to be able to own and use both systems and use them side by side so the coming year will find out what I like.

But what I think I see in the Core/Atom system is an aesthetically very attractive transmitter with a superior graphic interface. I have also got a glimpse of some interesting programming ideas that seems to simplify the process of setting up models and get a secure grip of their behaviour. The Powerbox ideas about “mixing” and “flight phases” feels very appealing.

Then there is the subject of peripherals. Even when I was using Jeti I always used the Powerbox “Powerbox” solutions over Jetis “Central box”. One reason for that was that Jeti up till recently didn’t have voltage regulation in their smaller central boxes and that Powerbox had just that. But it's also a matter of personal preferences. I have come to use the Powerbox Mercury in most of my larger models and I relay like it. But the most important reason is the choice of gyros. I regard the Powerbox gyros with the GPS speed compensation and their algorithms as far superior to Jetis Assist system.

Of course, one can use the Powerbox peripherals together with Jeti but I think that you always have a benefit from staying inside a brand system and that it always is a risk when combining different brands, don’t ask how I know.

So, my advice to you is to choose whatever system that appeals to you. I don’t think you can go wrong with any of them.

Jannica

Racer686 11-06-2022 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by CostasV (Post 12750084)
You need to remember that the current Jeti radio base software is actually quite old in the whole scheme of things. PB software for the Core and Atom is still fairly new and running on a latter hardware platform design so PB had an advantage in knowing what the competition already had out in the market and they obviously took that into account when developing their software and hardware.

So you expect to have something that is way more intuitive for pilots to program with on such a radio - This is really the biggest downfall of OpenTx type radios which can be a painful exercise in setting up a complex aircraft config from scratch and also manage the OS long term - on a Core/Atom it is really fast and intuitive to setup complex configurations with telemetry and various voice prompts and alerts.

I find the PB forum to be quite fine.... and yes some responses seem short, sharp and sweet... but like others have stated, sometimes it possibly is just the language aspect that comes into play.

Just recently I posted a programming solution on one of their long running threads that many were discussing feverishly as no one had a programming solution for and yes some people were just saying that you 'don't need this feature' as at the time no solution was apparent... This is just normal human behaviour though and is simply just a proud German Core or Atom owner that is proud of their home grown product, so just keep that in mind when reading replies as their forum is really a useful resource.

Thanks Costas. I bookmarked your Throttle latch solution yesterday as it does provide an answer to something I thought was second nature (coming from Ethos on Frsky where throttle cut can be implemented until conditions are met) but hadn't been solved on the Core software yet.

CostasV 11-06-2022 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Racer686 (Post 12750114)
I thought was second nature

I initially thought it would be more complex but in the end all it required was two logic switches once I played with it a bit.

Great solution for electric models but not so much for a nitro or gas powered craft where you need an active idle trim.

I'll post up a solution to that soon which safely 'latches' out the throttle stick as before but still allows you to maintain idle trim control (handy when starting or handling model in the pits) with a nitro/gas engine.

This solution is bit more complex as it now also involves switching a flight mode via the same virtual logic I used for the electric model example. It is also now not using the servo cut-off feauture as that prevents the throttle trim from working which is not much use to a nitro/gas aircraft.

Springbok Flyer 11-06-2022 07:14 PM

CostasV,

It will be very good if you could post some links to these programming innovations when it is convenient.

Cheers,

JanR

CostasV 11-06-2022 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by Springbok Flyer (Post 12750205)
CostasV,

It will be very good if you could post some links to these programming innovations when it is convenient.

Cheers,

JanR

Sure... however I just noted that I need a total of 10 posts on this forum before I can post a link... lol.

Springbok Flyer 11-07-2022 03:39 AM

Only 2 more to go.....LOL

JanR