RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Comparison Time (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/11673066-comparison-time.html)

dos007 12-18-2019 06:19 AM

Comparison Time

Let the comparison begin. I have flown Spectrum and JR for many years...started with Kraft radios. It is time to learn a new brand. I like the simplicity of the Spectrum programming but it is time to teach an old dog new tricks.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...d3f289c96.jpeg

bodywerks 12-18-2019 07:31 AM

I watched a video of Martin Pickering setting up a jet with that Core. Talk about simple!
I've been a Spektrum user since the dx7 without issue. Up to and including there dx18, I could always figure out how to program what I wanted, albeit, not always intuitive. Then I bought an ix12. I think it was so simple to program that I was intimidated by it! At first, I was setting models up with my dx18 and just transferring them to the ix12. Then I ran into some dx18/ix12 compatability issues and was 'forced' to learn the ix12. It only took one model to realize how simple it was! But the android bugs and slow operating system are already pretty annoying.
From what I'm seeing, that powerbox core is on another level. Heard good about the Jeti, too, but not familiar with it.
If you haven't watched this video, I suggest it. Good info about the basic functionality and how it's made programming things so simple:

camss69 12-18-2019 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by dos007 (Post 12570481)
Let the comparison begin. I have flown Spectrum and JR for many years...started with Kraft radios. It is time to learn a new brand. I like the simplicity of the Spectrum programming but it is time to teach an old dog new tricks.

So are you going to learn both Jeti and Core?

skunkwurk 12-18-2019 08:27 AM

I couldn't agree more - Powerbox Core gets my vote. In fact, my existing investment in Futaba receivers is what is "currently" preventing me from moving.

Note to PB - any chance you could add some level of compatibility between legacy Futaba Receivers and the core? That would make the transition very easy.

BarracudaHockey 12-18-2019 08:52 AM

One of the nice things about the Core is that its ground up. They weren't beholden to any backwards compatibility.

26 full, proportional channels that run at full speed and full resolution plus telemetry that has as good or better range than the radio. No multiplexing of channels, no any channel over a certain number with lower resolution or speed etc.

The transmitter feel is like a fine automobile. The sticks and sliders use hall effect pickups and everything is nicely machined.

dos007 12-18-2019 08:55 AM

Yes I am going to learn both. I will use them both on a warbird and a Jet.

Dave Wilshere 12-18-2019 08:57 AM

My customers were obsessed with the cost of changing-I just explained that anything you were flying stayed with that system, presuming it was reliable, new models were set up in the Core radio. Over time the conversion is complete and other than the cost was spread over time. I have four radio systems in use over my model fleet and although occasionally it’s a pain having several Tx’s at a meeting...at least I did not need to charge a Tx as spread over the fleet they all got some use only.
i have people who have converted from JR, Jeti and Futaba.

Core voice is coming in the Xmas update for those obsessed with gizmo

dos007 12-18-2019 08:57 AM

I have watched numerous videos on the core and the Jeti. The videos are giving me a jump on learning things.

Blancr 12-18-2019 10:34 AM

I switched from Spectrum to Jeti and now to Core. My move to Core was not about what it can do today but much more about what it will do in the medium term and how easy it will be to do it!
Bob

ltc 12-18-2019 11:46 AM

Short term purchase, I would say Jeti. They have had more time to develop a larger ecosystem of hardware and software

Longer term, PowerBox. They simply need more time to develop software features and add hardware accessories

I started with Kraft in the 70’s, switched to Futaba PCM single and dual stick in the 80’s and aboutb4 years ago bought 2 Jeti Tx (DC16 and DC24 and too many Rx, ESC and telemetry items to count!)

I am confident my next purchase will be Powerbox Core... I think it’s a better long term investment and a better hardware platform.

bodywerks 12-18-2019 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Dave Wilshere (Post 12570497)
My customers were obsessed with the cost of changing-I just explained that anything you were flying stayed with that system, presuming it was reliable, new models were set up in the Core radio. Over time the conversion is complete and other than the cost was spread over time. I have four radio systems in use over my model fleet and although occasionally it’s a pain having several Tx’s at a meeting...at least I did not need to charge a Tx as spread over the fleet they all got some use only.
i have people who have converted from JR, Jeti and Futaba.

Core voice is coming in the Xmas update for those obsessed with gizmo

perhaps you remember the days when if you wanted two planes, you had two radios!
I like your take on it. My ix12 will wear out its welcome in short order with all its bugs. I'm at the point, "do I be a Guinea pig with the ix20, or move on?"
Powerbox core is quite the investment, but if it turns out to be just that, an investment, it's completely worth it.

DUCMOZ 12-18-2019 08:48 PM

I am still using JR 12X but a change in near future is unavoidable. I have great access to some one to guide me through Futaba programming but no one I know uses Core. If you guys have used Core, do you think it would be better for me to go the Futaba route or the Core?

thanks

Behzad

Zeeb 12-18-2019 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by dos007 (Post 12570481)

This is a silly exercise in futility unless you include the new Spektrum iX20 instead of the discontinued DX20.

camss69 12-18-2019 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by Zeeb (Post 12570573)
This is a silly exercise in futility unless you include the new Spektrum iX20 instead of the discontinued DX20.

Apparently you missed the part where he said he wants to learn a new brand...

Dave Wilshere 12-18-2019 10:10 PM

Behzad

You would find going Core much easier than learning Futaba’s quirky programming that even most long term users struggle with. I think Futaba proved with the face lift 18MZ (32) that they are left further behind. I had a few guys go Core that I expected to struggle and be constantly contacting me, they were like you isolated away where no one around them used high end radios. They got on fine!! I have had other guys who I expected to have no issues contacting me...but I realised they just couldn’t be bothered to find out how to set something out as the info was on PB’s expert forum.
I generally find myself once you understand the basics of how the Tx is programmed (swiping left or right-up and down, double tapping or holding still your finger on the screen) I find most things without research.

Dave

felker14 12-19-2019 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by DUCMOZ (Post 12570570)
I am still using JR 12X but a change in near future is unavoidable. I have great access to some one to guide me through Futaba programming but no one I know uses Core. If you guys have used Core, do you think it would be better for me to go the Futaba route or the Core?

thanks

Behzad

My radio travels Futaba, Jeti and now CORE. With what every radio you pick there will be learning curve. YouTube videos and help from forum members programming radios now is simple. I went with Jeti before PowerBox announced radio plans or Jeti wouldn’t of been purchased. Jeti was a fine product. Importer of Jeti made switching to CORE easy with his annoying ways on forums. I’m probably in minority with next comment in that I was disappointed PowerBox started adding all of these brand ambassadors they are just not needed if you make a quality product. Now when I go on forums or more so Facebook it’s like a NASCAR race with all of the products be mentioned as greatest. PowerBox Core for sure is just getting started can’t wait see what future holds. Hopefully all in one RX / power distribution unit like the old Weatronics unit, fast set up menus like throttle cut, flaperons, and PBR-12D.

Blancr 12-19-2019 12:22 AM

thanks

Behzad

Behzad
I've recently converted to Core and I'm someone who has come late in life to large scale RC. Programming of Tx and power distribution systems does not therefore sit naturally to my way of thinking. I've recently changed from Jeti to Core. The Jeti is brilliant in all respect except for it's complexity in use. I accept that that may just be me but, for me a fact of life. The Core I have found to be simplicity itself. It is largely intuitive. The functionality currently available is more than enough for complex aircraft. It's what is coming that excites me. Yes these new development will add yet greater functionality but they will also make things even simpler and will allow much more to be done directly from the Tx.
Bob

BarracudaHockey 12-19-2019 04:46 AM

thanks

Behzad

There's a bunch of videos here, go through the intro ones, they are informative but not too long, and they go through basic model setup and some other stuff, it will give you an idea how easy it is to setup the CORE
https://powerbox-americas.com/blogs/want-to-know-how?

dos007 12-19-2019 05:36 AM

Early observations but keep in mind that these are just my opinions so far. I am still in programming mode and have only flown the Jeti and of course many flights on the Spectrum. I did not buy the new ix20 because I had an ix12 which I didn’t care for and I gave it away.

Transmitter Feel - Honestly I like them all but I will give the nod to the Jeti. I like the heaviness of the transmitter. So for now it is Jeti, then Core, then Spectrum

TX sticks - I like my throttle stick to have the indentions and be firm. I couldn’t get the core as tight as I wanted, even though the screws are all the way down. Ranking - Jeti, Spectrum, Core.

Stick Trims - it is a tie between Core and Spectrum. I hate the Jeti trim tabs and before you ask I have not tried the auto trim feature. Ranking Core, Spectrum, Jeti

Software/Program/Features - keep in mind I am still learning these so this may change as I set up more planes, especially my larger scale jets. I find the Core much easier than the Jeti. My early, very early, ranking - Core, Spectrum, Jeti.

I am impressed with both the Jeti and the Core. I don’t think you could go wrong with either one. I was planning to sell one of them but who knows I may keep both.

Please keep in mind that I am not sponsored and I am just an average modeler who has been flying since 1976. These opinions are clearly just my observations and may change as I start flying these radios.

Thanks for reading!

patrnflyr 12-19-2019 05:43 AM

I was really considering the CORE until I started looking at availability of mid sized receivers. It’s 9 channels or smaller or the larger Powerbox receivers. I, like many in the jet field, have a smaller jet and space within the cockpit is limited. I finally decided to go with the ix20 since the PowerSafe receivers have served me well for years. So far, I’m very impressed with it. (Coming from a DX20).

Add on the CORE “NASCAR commercials“ in these threads as mentioned above and all over FB are getting old. We all know it’s a great radio, no reason for shoving it down our throats.

Auburn02 12-19-2019 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by dos007 (Post 12570592)
Early observations but keep in mind that these are just my opinions so far. I am still in programming mode and have only flown the Jeti and of course many flights on the Spectrum. I did not buy the new ix20 because I had an ix12 which I didn’t care for and I gave it away.

Transmitter Feel - Honestly I like them all but I will give the nod to the Jeti. I like the heaviness of the transmitter. So for now it is Jeti, then Core, then Spectrum

TX sticks - I like my throttle stick to have the indentions and be firm. I couldn’t get the core as tight as I wanted, even though the screws are all the way down. Ranking - Jeti, Spectrum, Core.

Stick Trims - it is a tie between Core and Spectrum. I hate the Jeti trim tabs and before you ask I have not tried the auto trim feature. Ranking Core, Spectrum, Jeti

Software/Program/Features - keep in mind I am still learning these so this may change as I set up more planes, especially my larger scale jets. I find the Core much easier than the Jeti. My early, very early, ranking - Core, Spectrum, Jeti.

I am impressed with both the Jeti and the Core. I don’t think you could go wrong with either one. I was planning to sell one of them but who knows I may keep both.

Please keep in mind that I am not sponsored and I am just an average modeler who has been flying since 1976. These opinions are clearly just my observations and may change as I start flying these radios.

Thanks for reading!

Nice breakdown so far. How is the overall weight of the Core? Lightest of them all or in between Jeti and Spektrum? Personally I hate a heavy transmitter, so while I know other consider that a plus for me that's one of the huge negatives, which is a bummer because I would totally nerd out over the programming features otherwise.

dos007 12-19-2019 08:02 AM

More thoughts:

Transmitter weights
Core 2# 11oz
Spectrum 2# 8oz
Jeti 3#

the Jeti actually feels more heavy than the actual difference.

Screens - both Jeti and Core screens are great, Core takes the longest to boot up.

I had to change the mode on all three and they were all three very easy to change. No issues.

I did have to buy additional switches for the Jeti, the other two required no changes for my style.

Dave Wilshere 12-19-2019 11:29 AM

Have you taken your Jeti out into a bright day?

The 9ch Rx will do 10 channels. I would guess a PowerExpander 15-18ch and PB Rx would be smaller and lighter than the Powersafe Rx’s I’ve seen.

bodywerks 12-19-2019 09:00 PM

thanks

Behzad

knowing someone with futaba is not a reason to go that route. Not a hater on futaba, but their receiver options are limited, transmitter prices are high, and they don't have the market cornered on anything except maybe ergonomics.

bodywerks 12-19-2019 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by Dave Wilshere (Post 12570650)
Have you taken your Jeti out into a bright day?

The 9ch Rx will do 10 channels. I would guess a PowerExpander 15-18ch and PB Rx would be smaller and lighter than the Powersafe Rx’s I’ve seen.

like spektrum? I agree. Although integrated telemetry and 1/2oz gyro capability, fully programmable through the transmitter is pretty cool.