RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   cortex pro setting that you are using (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/11695396-cortex-pro-setting-you-using.html)

jesse2357 12-04-2021 05:37 PM

cortex pro setting that you are using

I'm having issues og getting the cortex pro to lock in. I've seen cortex very locked in so I'm sure its a setting i'm missing. so will somebody share their secret sauce?

Wclays 12-04-2021 07:19 PM

I had an issue where the cortex would not power up after setting it up. I finally discovered that I need to setup it up with full throws,(I set all my switches to my high rates.) not the reduced throws I fly with.

I setup of the cortex with the full high rate throws, It correctly setup and now powers up correctly every time.

jesse2357 12-04-2021 07:23 PM

Mine works, just doesn't lock in lke I think it should

BarracudaHockey 12-05-2021 04:38 AM

Maybe needs more gain? Setup is dependent on a lot of things so there's no one setting to get it to work right, maybe give us a detailed description of your setup to start

jvaliensi 12-05-2021 06:11 AM

I use the Cortex Pro in various jets and EFDs. I don't change the settings from factory and have good results. My airplanes feel 'locked in' in flight.
I use gain between 30% & 60% depending on the flight mode. Landing mode uses 60% and cruise uses 30%.

DAN AVILLA 12-05-2021 06:54 AM

I had the same problem with my Ultra Bandit. Danny explained the problem. If you have a plane that requires a lot of down elevator with flaps and have the flaps down when powering up it will not initialize . I just make sure I have the flaps up when I power up the plane. Dan

jvaliensi 12-05-2021 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by DAN AVILLA (Post 12705446)
I had the same problem with my Ultra Bandit. Danny explained the problem. If you have a plane that requires a lot of down elevator with flaps and have the flaps down when powering up it will not initialize . I just make sure I have the flaps up when I power up the plane. Dan

I had the same issue with my Joker. I couldn't figure out why the Cortex wouldn't initialize. The LED just blinked white. Turns out I would turn the model on with the flight mode switched to landing or take-off. If I flip it to cruise then the Cortex would be ready. So, I put a preflight switch check on my transmitter start up to make sure I'm in cruise mode before I power up the model.
Danny and LA Jet guy were very helpful for this - Thank You!

jesse2357 12-05-2021 08:07 AM

It intilizes every time. I can move the plane around around and the surfaces correct in the right directions. in flight when in a knife edge it won't lock in, it rotates either right or left and I'm constantly correcting for it. What is everyone who has a locked in feeling plane using for modes? are y'all running the Aileron and elevator in heading hold and rudder in rate? or just all rate mode?.

BarracudaHockey 12-05-2021 09:39 AM

Unless they have the same plane with the same servos at the same speed their settings don't matter is the point I was trying to make earlier.

DAN AVILLA 12-05-2021 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by jesse2357 (Post 12705465)
It intilizes every time. I can move the plane around around and the surfaces correct in the right directions. in flight when in a knife edge it won't lock in, it rotates either right or left and I'm constantly correcting for it. What is everyone who has a locked in feeling plane using for modes? are y'all running the Aileron and elevator in heading hold and rudder in rate? or just all rate mode?.

I have only used heading hold on a 3 d prop job to hover and it worked. In rate mode it will not correct flight tendency's just smooth out the flight. If you have a plane that in a knife edge the needs inputs I have fixed it with mix's. I do not like having to switch from rate to heading hold while flying. Heading hold can be dangerous at the wrong time. Maybe some one can chime it that has used it successfully . Dan

Dansy 12-05-2021 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by jesse2357 (Post 12705465)

‘I see what your trying to do……Humm no gyro will do this in normal mode, you could talk a little bit maybe all of it by increasing the gain…depends mainly on the plane itself some have no coupling too some have tons of coupling, and like it was said before you would either have to switch to heading hold…which I would never recommend on the fly…..the choice are then either fly the plane or do some mixing….if on Jeti there’s a Lua apps that exist to do this…I haven’t try that personally I just fly the plane.

jesse2357 12-05-2021 05:51 PM

Coupling would always rock the same way for the same knife edge, That I would mix out. This actually is like a basketball balancing on a pin head it will always fall to what ever side it's leaned to. I think I got it today. I was adjusting gain via the device explorer which is the individual gain, extending the end points on the gyro channel is what I needed to be doing. still has a bit more to go but definitely a huge improvement going from 25% main gain to 55%.

F1 Rocket 12-05-2021 06:08 PM

Do not attempt to “fly” in the hold mode. You will only be disappointed. It was intended strictly for hovering a 3D type airplane hands off.

jvaliensi 02-14-2022 12:11 PM

Hi,
I have an X45 turbine FW Avanti with Cortex Pro installed. First flights were awesome. Afterwards, I changed the servo linkage for the ailerons and elevator. I moved the linkage in a couple holes in the servo arms. I did this beause I had to have the servo travel set to 50% or less to get the correct amount of servo travel.
Next flights were not so good. The airplane didn't respond like it did before. It seemed too sensitive. But the surface travel was the same.
I'm wondering if I need to increase the 'gain' for the Cortex Pro. I generally use 30 to 40% for cruise mode and a more for landing and take off mode. Do you think increasing the servo travel but not increasing the surface movement caused the airplane to behave differently?
BTW -I have many flights with my EFD version w/ CP and it it perfect, but the linkages are at the longest spot at the servo arms and the travel is cut by 50% or more. I use 30% travel for the Cortex channel.

Dansy 02-14-2022 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by jvaliensi (Post 12715876)
Hi,
I have an X45 turbine FW Avanti with Cortex Pro installed. First flights were awesome. Afterwards, I changed the servo linkage for the ailerons and elevator. I moved the linkage in a couple holes in the servo arms. I did this beause I had to have the servo travel set to 50% or less to get the correct amount of servo travel.
Next flights were not so good. The airplane didn't respond like it did before. It seemed too sensitive. But the surface travel was the same.
I'm wondering if I need to increase the 'gain' for the Cortex Pro. I generally use 30 to 40% for cruise mode and a more for landing and take off mode. Do you think increasing the servo travel but not increasing the surface movement caused the airplane to behave differently?
BTW -I have many flights with my EFD version w/ CP and it it perfect, but the linkages are at the longest spot at the servo arms and the travel is cut by 50% or more. I use 30% travel for the Cortex channel.

Did you do a relearn?

jvaliensi 02-14-2022 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Dansy (Post 12715878)
Did you do a relearn?

Hi,
No, the Cortex Pro is set up correctly. I'm wondering if much more gain is needed.

jvaliensi 02-14-2022 01:50 PM

Oh, I get it. I should relearn the Cortex to make sure it knows the new travel rates, duh!

BarracudaHockey 02-14-2022 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by jvaliensi (Post 12715888)
Oh, I get it. I should relearn the Cortex to make sure it knows the new travel rates, duh!

Exactly!

Dansy 02-14-2022 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by jvaliensi (Post 12715888)

Every time your trim the model….you should redo the learning….it’s easy to do at the field….so change hole in the horn or arm….y’a that will be a wild ride ;)

And that’s not only for the Cortex Pro, but pretty all gyro I have ever used….