RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Thoughts on Aviation Design Gryphon? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/382494-thoughts-aviation-design-gryphon.html)

DavidR 11-27-2002 04:35 AM

Thoughts on Aviation Design Gryphon?

Well said Kevin! Some guys that are out there flying these jets right now really need to take a closer look at their abilities or lack thereof and either attempt to become better modellers/pilots or at least listen to the more experienced guys in the crowd. Safety should be everyone's number one concern.

Byronman 11-27-2002 02:41 PM

Enough!

Ok guys, enough is enough. Kevin, Malcom, Trident thanks for your comments on the AV Gryphon. Does anyone else have any other comments about THIS particular kit? I'm just looking for opinions, or someones "2 cents worth" on the kit.

I'm not interested in hearing about the SU-27 in this particular post. We could start another post on that subject alone. Thanks!

KevinBarr 11-27-2002 03:10 PM

Brandt,

Should never have listened to me.. :)

We can talk offline in regards to some of the people/opinions who have posted here.

Kevin

P.S Have a great Thanksgiving

jettset99 11-27-2002 05:01 PM

Aviation Design

Brandt, for your past help, I will chime in for some info on only the AD line! I own their F-16 and A SU37, I know your looking for some info on the Gryphon. I will give you info on the Kit Quality you will surly see in the Gryphon,they are highly prefab and take very little extra effort in the rudder department, the quality of their kits ranks in the top group of kit manufactures.I wouldn't recommend to go out and get one until it has been prov en :), was wondering if your looking for a first or a second Jet?

Vincent 11-27-2002 05:16 PM

rudders

Guys,

I won`t get into the above flaming but I have built and flown three different AD jets. They all didn`t have factory designed rudders, I believe Eric feels they do not need them but the AMA here in the US does. I was able to convert the three jets to have rudders with normal building procedures and have had no problems with stabs fluttering etc.

Vin...

JET FX 11-27-2002 07:21 PM

Rudders again

Good point Vin, maybe that would explain the odd rudder design on the Gryphon (just for AMA) U.S. variant.
I also fly my AD F16 'Without rudder function' although I do have one installed incase I want to fly south of the border.
I also have an Avonds F15 without rudders and will not install rudders, both kits were designed without the need for rudder operation/inclusion. The Gryphon should fly very well also, based on Eric's previous designs especially the AD F16. I have been flying R/C for over 28 years everything from gliders to giant scale and jets and the AD F16 is still the best/easiest flying jet model I have owned... I would not hesitate in recommending Aviation Design products and aftersales service, and very good value for money.

Vincent 11-27-2002 07:50 PM

AD F-16

Marty,

I agree with you about the AD F-16, mine "was" the easiest flying scale jet I have ever owned. An unexplained flameout this past spring caused some serious damage,I still have it but its in bad shape.

Vin...

Mike Haddox 11-28-2002 12:13 AM

Byron Man and Kevin Barr, I also like the way the Gryphon looks. I hope that when Malcolm completes the test flights he will share the results with all of us. I would love to have one someday. Mike Haddox

learjet-RCU 11-28-2002 12:20 AM

We do already start to build two Gryphon. The quality of the kit is perfect.

We keep in kontakt and send new information when we have some.

http://www.jets.at/images/Jetparadekl.jpg

RC_MAN 11-28-2002 12:30 AM

Hi

Tell me more about the SR 71 in the photos. Can I put two turbines in it. Do you have any specifications and costs?
Thanks

Trident 11-28-2002 03:03 AM

About my posts

To those of you who are here for this threads' origional purpose please excuse some of the above bickering. I just can't stand to watch an innocent thread where sincere questions are asked (like this one) be used by someone like KG to lash out at others so please excuse me for a moment.

Kevin,

So you want to attack me now? Great!

I feel sorry for guys like you. Your whole purpose is to insure that what ever you fly, it is seen to be the "in thing to have". Hell, your worst nightmare is waking up and finding that the equipment you own is not considered to be "the right stuff" by those you so desperately want to "hang" with. You are constantly changing your agrument to support that purpose. I chose to step in to this post when you were using this forum to attack a guy for your own selfish reasons (whether you know it or not).

I too understand saftey issues and agree that some of what has brought about your posts has merit. I was there - remember. I don't want unsafe pilots either but lets face a few facts. Dealing with those issues has its place - a posting asking about opinions on a particular model that you have never owned or even seen flying is not where you can apoint yourself ZAR of saftey issues and attack a guy in hopes that everyone will see your point of view.

This has been my point from the beginning no matter how you try to twist this agrument. I think perhaps a safety formum on jets is warrented for just such a sort of occasion but I think you should agree that this isn't the place - or am I wrong?

Kevin Greene 11-28-2002 04:15 AM

Trident,

JEEEEZ!!! I made a comment about the rudder on the Gryphon. I said that it looked cool....PERIOD!!! I did not make an attack at all. It was an observation and my opinion. Since noone has seen a Gryphon fly in the US I thought that Byronman would want some info from someone that took more than just a casual glance at this plane. Malcom then attacked R/C Man telling him that he needed glasses for his observations and then attacked me by saying something about rectums. What did he mean----If I didn't get out of the way while landing upside down the Gryphon would fly up my *ss?!? Yeah, I blew my cool and could have shrugged it off but I didn't. Along you came with your "chuffing Nora" crap. I said that you are the internet police 'cause that's what you are! Your first two posts EVER on RCU were to chastise David Reid for a remark he made and then in another post you chastise some more modelers for their posts saying something like "can't we all just get along?" I do my homework before making an accusation. After seeing your first two posts I quit looking. It is obvious what you want to be.....If you want to be a moderator-----Apply!!!

Yes, this has really gotten out of hand----I didn't start this and I don't care how it ends. If you want to continue on then do so without me---I'm tired of wasting my time with you.

As to the rest of you---I apologize if my remarks offended anyone. Sometimes things get said in the heat of the battle that shouldn't be said. I wish all of you a safe and bountiful Thanksgiving. Family and friends---That's what it's really about.

Kevin

learjet-RCU 11-28-2002 12:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Tell me more about the SR 71 in the photos. Can I put two turbines in it. Do you have any specifications and costs?
I bought this SR 71 private made in germany. The length is 116 inches. It is possible to use two turbines or one in the midle.
It looks simular to the yellow.

Mike Haddox 11-28-2002 04:36 PM

Malcolm, Can you tell me what the price is on the Gryphon? Please include every available option. Thanks, Mike Haddox

Malcolm Kay 12-03-2002 03:34 AM

mike, sorry , i have not replied to you sooner, but i ended up in the hospital on thanksgiving with kidney stones,.........back in the fold today... please e. me on [email protected] with your e-mail address and i will give you all the info, it's all in stock now for immediate delivery with kevlar fuel tank of 2.4 litre. robart retracts and struts, wheels tires and brakes .

IFLYJETSSS 12-03-2002 03:03 PM

Gryphon

Malcolm,

Just post the price here, I am sure there are alot of people interested.

Ralph

Malcolm Kay 12-03-2002 05:45 PM

Aviation Design Gryphon Prices

Ralph , its no secret... the gryphon Kit costs $1800.00 the retracts are Robart specially made with exact length Oleo struts and the trike set is $375 the fuel system is Kevlar fitted Fuse shape tank 2.4 litres, costs $125. the kit price includes the dual place cockpit with two pilots and full instrumentation. you can use any 3 3/4 wheels and brakes you want. regards Malcolm

learjet-RCU 12-04-2002 12:17 AM

we sell it for EURO 1248.00 curent USD 1243.99
Cockpit detail kit for EURO 143.00
Pilots each for EURO 26.00

Malcolm Kay 12-04-2002 02:08 AM

gryphon

Michael, that price is less than my invoice from the factory , and I have to pay $160 to ship from france to me. so unless you have a different price structure than mine , I don't know how you do it for the euros.... regards Malcolm Kay

learjet-RCU 12-04-2002 03:28 AM

Malcolm,

i am shure that we have the same pricelist. We sell for the AD retail prices. We pay 75 to get the kit from france to Austria. USD to EURO is nearly 1:1

DavidR 12-06-2002 01:18 PM

Tiredent,

I won't apologize to you or anyone else for that matter on my comments in this thread. MK does not need to be flying Turbine jets his abilities as an RC pilot are not up to it. At EVERY event that I have been at this year that MK has flown at he has crashed. He was told BEFORE the ill fated flight of the SU that the rudder linkages were going to fail and he chose to ignore that. Since the AD models are not designed with rudders it leaves this up to the modeller and in a lot of cases it ends up exactly how it did at Superman. Couple this with the fact that the US distributer is not knowledgeable enough about proper rigging techniques and what do you have? I am not trashing MK just for the sake of trashing him. He is a safety risk to all of us and that in turn is a risk to our hobby. Quite frankly until you have the balls to sign your name to a thread most people look at you as a just another troll.

David Reid

Gordon Mc 12-06-2002 01:29 PM

For any of you who seem to have difficulty in remembering this, let me point out that GrnBrt (Senior Moderator) has already stated:

Ok guys let me chime in here as this can turn into a good thread, or it can turn ugly. If you want it to continue in a constructive manner I would suggest that the posts get a lot less hostile. If you are unable to this then don't post to it.
Yet the non-constructive posts continue. Since you won't listen, I am closing this thread.

I would normally suggest that you guys take this offline, but since that's not possible due to one not allowing PM or email, you're just going to have to let it go.

Gordon