RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   BD-5J Project (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/6735559-bd-5j-project.html)

hooker53 11-23-2010 08:09 PM

RE: BD-5J Project

Just like this.

Zagzoo 11-23-2010 09:40 PM

ORIGINAL: aapanama

Hi guys: greetings from Panama city, Republic of Panama. I got my BD-5 from Extreme Jets a couple of months ago. It was sent from China to Miami and then to Panama with JAMES BOND ''OCTO*****'' color scheme. Very nice work.. No instructions either. Also I have a King Tech 80 waiting for me to finish this jet. I have done all the hinging. My own invention for the nose gear servo and also the elevator rod system, and the retracts are working fine. I will try to send some photos, but because it is the first time uploading them, please be patient. I don't think I will have any problems finishing this jet, but I will appreciate anyone telling me where in hell does the rudeer servo go, on the fin(not to wide for a servo)or in the fuselage with a long N-rod, o.k. lets see if I can send the photos at least 2 by 2. Hope we can exchange info aapanama
Thought these had 'live' hinging? IF you look at the left side of the rudder (with front of rudder facing you).. you look just right in the light you'll see the servo area that needs cut out.

Zagzoo 11-23-2010 09:42 PM

Start a build thread.. even though this one has been hijacked 1000x! Hopefully mind arrives in the next 3-6 weeks, Coors Silver Bullet scheme!

invertmast 11-23-2010 09:44 PM

The Full-scale BD-5 has a rotation issue as well... Mostly on the Prop, but probly on the jet as well. when the full-scale is on a take-off roll, if it is aborted near rotation speed and the power is quickly pulled back, the aircraft will actually rotate on start flying on its own. Even if the elevator is in the neutral position. Its just one of those Nuance's of the airplane.

Doc... 11-24-2010 06:30 AM

Hi,

OK, I had a problem with the Rudder servo as well. The way they want it installed is to open up the trailing edge and insert the servo eithor glueing it in or using servo tape. I didn't like that so I made a srevo hatch and used a Boomering Sprint servo cover which really looks nice. Jon sent me a drawing of the Rudder instal so I could see where to put it. I didn't like the elevator install so I did the same with them as well..I will get some pictures off in the next few days.

Doc...

Zagzoo 11-24-2010 05:51 PM

ORIGINAL: Doc...

Hi,

OK, I had a problem with the Rudder servo as well. The way they want it installed is to open up the trailing edge and insert the servo eithor glueing it in or using servo tape. I didn't like that so I made a srevo hatch and used a Boomering Sprint servo cover which really looks nice. Jon sent me a drawing of the Rudder instal so I could see where to put it. I didn't like the elevator install so I did the same with them as well..I will get some pictures off in the next few days.

Doc...
Can someone start a "Xtreme Jets: BD5 Build" thread? Be real helpfull with a few of us getting, or have one on order to recieve soon!

zonker123 11-26-2010 10:18 AM

Well I am just a little disappointed, was just informed that my BD5 ordered in September will be yet another 4 weeks out before delivery. That puts it showing up around Xmas for total wait now of 12 weeks. Every time I am on the computer I check out what few vids their are of this bird flying and that keeps me pumped up the waiting is getting tough.

Just hope its worth it.

Have a safe Thanksgiving!

mike

Doc... 11-26-2010 06:37 PM

Hi Mike:

I share your frustration, I really do. When I 1st ordered mine, BVM was told 6-8 weeks. It finally came 13 weeks later. I was also told there would be an instruction video. There was nothing. This has been going on for some time now. I paid for mine up front and that may be where the problem is. The only thing I can think of is to boycot Skymaster, at least the extream ones. It's no skin off of BVM, they just take the money. The price is right but what if we need replacement parts? Another 3 months? I have several pictures and methods which will improve the BD-5 but with Jon in China not having instructions for the ship, I'm not in business to write a manual for him which I'm sure he is hoping all our coments and pictures will help him do just that. I have built the Boomerang Sprint and Elan and Alan admits his instructions are limited but at least all the improtant info is there. When I un-packed the BD-5, the shipping slips with the contents were all in China writing. Sorry about my venting but I really dispise being told one thing and have it totally the other way. When the time comes, I will post pictures which will really improve and simplify the construction but,............I will do it only in privite email. I WILL NOT give Jon the satisfaction he is looking for and will not do his work for him. Stay in touch!!!
Sorry about the venting.

Doc...

aapanama 11-26-2010 09:03 PM

HI. X-TREME BD-5 LOVERS: I agree with you. we are not going to make the instruction manual, because I think that the company could have told us that the plane came with NO INSTRUCTION MANUAL, that way us the buyers, had the choise to buy it or not. I REALLY think that between all of us we can make things easier to complete our models. I dont know the mechanism we are going to use. I have information from another builder that completed his Extreme BD-5 his login is Dirtydingus, he sent me the info regarding the throws for ailerons, elevator, rudder, flaps and the C.G. Afterwards I found out that he sold his BD-5 and now it is the hands of a fellow flyer in Honduras. He came to Panama a couple of weeks ago and I had the pleasure of meeting him, he told me that his X-TREME BD-5 flies X-TREMELY well . If any of the BD-5 builders in this forum wants this info in relation to the above throws.I will more than happy to share it. Maybe by E-mail so the info stays with us.. Also like I said before, I dont know the reason why I can't upload the photos as promised, but I a very stubborn guy. greetings

BaldEagel 11-27-2010 05:37 AM

Guys

There are lots of free web sites out there that you can start a thread yourselves on and restrict access to only those you want or the Administrator will allow, just a thought.

Mike

Doc... 11-27-2010 07:04 AM

Hi,

From everything I have seen, the BD-5 does fly well and although I vented my feelings already, the construction is really good as well. As I mentioned before, I have made several changes which should make final construction even better. I really don't like glueing servos or the use of servo tape and for the most part I have corrected that problem. The evevator servo location is in a really bad place so each evevator now has it's own servo, the same with the Rudder. I think we all need to keep in touch and work all this out between us. Why not, were not getting any help from China. For those of you who don't know, Skymaster does have an office in Calif and the contact who was doing the best to help just left the Company. His name is Jeff. There is another guy who is there by the name of Bob who is about as much help as the Instruction Manuals we don't have. He told me on Wednesday there is someone else that has replaced Jeff but wasn't in. He went on the tell me he would call the guy and have him call me back right away. Good thing I didn't hold my breath. O well, let's keep in touch guys.!!!!!!

Doc...

aapanama 12-01-2010 06:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
BD-5 lovers: I have found the way to upload the photos Here at least two of them.
Like I said this is my James Bond Jet

aapanama 12-01-2010 06:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are a couple of photos of the rudder servo box.greetings AAA panama

aapanama 12-01-2010 08:35 PM

hi guys,, made mistake on the last photos, they belong to the nose gear servo and not the rudder servo.. sorry aapanama

Doc... 12-03-2010 03:39 AM

Hi,

For those of you who are interested and have the BD-5 on order, remember, the Chinese New Year is coming at the end of December and Skymaster will be closed for at least 4 weeks. The point of contact I had in Calif representing Skymaster has moved on and has been replaced by a gentelman named Sung. He is a direct contact to John in China and has been very helpfull. His email is: [email protected] He can also be reached by his cell at 323-899-1276. The time difference between China is totally oppisite from us so when Sung contacts China, he usually gets a response back the following day. I have many pictures of the changes I have made to the BD-5 but it may be a week or so before I upload them. If you have any questions on the BD-5, feel free to call Sung or email him. He will NOT be shut down during that 4 week period but for those of you waiting for your ship, he will be the person to ask.

Doc...

Zagzoo 12-03-2010 04:52 AM

ORIGINAL: aapanama

hi guys,, made mistake on the last photos, they belong to the nose gear servo and not the rudder servo.. sorry aapanama
Are you considering closing in or boxing the landing gear areas (wheel wells)? I am boxing in the mains in 1 box, then do the same to nose gear. My Byron bd5 had a nice humming vibration thru it with open wheel wells. Need to block out the negative air.

Doc... 12-03-2010 06:59 AM

Hi,

Not really. When I received mine the nose gear was already completed so when it closes, there is no opening. The problem is with the nose gear down, the gear door cover goes down about 1/2 the length of the wheel so taking off grass will not be an option. I will probably cut part of it back and re-hindge it to the side so when the gear goes up that part of the door will close as well. How did yours come?

Doc...

Zagzoo 12-03-2010 10:15 AM

Hi,

Not really. When I received mine the nose gear was already completed so when it closes, there is no opening. The problem is with the nose gear down, the gear door cover goes down about 1/2 the length of the wheel so taking off grass will not be an option. I will probably cut part of it back and re-hindge it to the side so when the gear goes up that part of the door will close as well. How did yours come?

Doc...
I sent an email to Sung, he is going to check my order and respond back tommorrow.

aapanama 12-03-2010 06:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
HI; X-TREME BD-5 LOVERS: just a couple more photos of the work on my BD-5 James Bond, this is the piece I made for the elevators. It is very easy to make, just a couple of collars and the two of the black large horns that came with the kit, all this is placed over a L-WRENCH the same size as the collars and all of this is held with the collar screws. Dont forget to put LOCTITE Here are some of the photos I took of this.

aapanama 12-03-2010 07:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
SORRY X-TREME BD-5 LOVERS_ the first photo was a bu-bu. I am the guy with the white hair.. this photo was taken a couple of months ago when I finished the larges puzzle in the world a that time..24,000 pieces. It was in the Guinness Word Records. Now the RAVERSBURG COMPANY has come out with a 32,000 piece, ordered IT a couple of days ago.. Well, lets talk about BD-5 jets, I I will send a couple of photos on the elevator mechanism. greetings AAPANAMA

Doc... 12-04-2010 06:26 AM

Hi,

Good job on that. I didn't use that method but instead made a servo hatch in each stab which works well. Some one asked back a few threads ago we should start a building thread for the BD-5. What's wrong with this one? With many people waiting on there ship, I can contact BVM and Sung in Calif. so they can refere people here since there are no instructions and no Video as promised. Once that happens, this thread will hopefully get busy.

Doc...

BaldEagel 12-04-2010 09:09 AM

Hi Mike:

I share your frustration, I really do. When I 1st ordered mine, BVM was told 6-8 weeks. It finally came 13 weeks later. I was also told there would be an instruction video. There was nothing. This has been going on for some time now. I paid for mine up front and that may be where the problem is. The only thing I can think of is to boycot Skymaster, at least the extream ones. It's no skin off of BVM, they just take the money. The price is right but what if we need replacement parts? Another 3 months? I have several pictures and methods which will improve the BD-5 but with Jon in China not having instructions for the ship, I'm not in business to write a manual for him which I'm sure he is hoping all our coments and pictures will help him do just that. I have built the Boomerang Sprint and Elan and Alan admits his instructions are limited but at least all the improtant info is there. When I un-packed the BD-5, the shipping slips with the contents were all in China writing. Sorry about my venting but I really dispise being told one thing and have it totally the other way. When the time comes, I will post pictures which will really improve and simplify the construction but,............I will do it only in privite email. I WILL NOT give Jon the satisfaction he is looking for and will not do his work for him. Stay in touch!!!
Sorry about the venting.

Doc...

aapanama 12-04-2010 05:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
hi guys; here a couple more photos of my BD-5 with the James Bond theme.. Here with the possible final scheme.. greetings AAA from Panama

aapanama 12-04-2010 05:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
HERE ARE A COUPLE MORE.. GREETINGS aaa PANAMA

Zagzoo 12-08-2010 12:27 PM

How big is the fuel tank? you got a picture of it in the BD? Just trying to get an idea so I can shove more tanks in it for smoke.