RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Boomerang Sprint Build Thread! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/7704490-boomerang-sprint-build-thread.html)

volkan 07-07-2008 06:24 PM

Boomerang Sprint Build Thread!

1 Attachment(s)
Well the new Sprints have touched dock in England and Alan has asked me to build him one. I got the box earlier this evening and I will start work on it tomorrow when I can pick up some bits for it.

I will post a few pictures of the kit packaged up, (which is much the size of an Intro box), and I will be back tomorrow to begin to the build. I am still waiting on hear on what equipment will be used, but I am sure Alan can fill those bits in!

So here goes:

GreenAcre 07-07-2008 09:38 PM

RE: Boomerang Sprint Build Thread!

Nice!! Look forward to the build!

Dave Presta 07-07-2008 10:13 PM

Hey Volkan, good to hear from you again.................where you been bro? Glad to see you pop back up on the radar, I was starting to get worried about you.
Take care,
Presta

Skipper Billy 07-08-2008 09:08 AM

Cool - that ddnt take long!!

Mine is reserved for despatch as soon as the boat docks.......

Ali 07-08-2008 09:10 AM

Boat is docked and kits will be in the store Thursday.
Regards Al

jonesjj3 07-08-2008 10:59 AM

Looks Good! I hope mine shows up this week, We will see how the install of the 5012 EVF from BVM goes with this.

I will try and take some pics and notes of this experimental build if anyone else wants to try and Electrify there Sprint.

volkan 07-08-2008 01:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Presta! How you been!? I've just been busy finishing college which I am glad to say is now over! Should be seeing you in FL next year.

Back to the build, I manged to take a few shots before the rain set in again:

volkan 07-08-2008 04:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It should be noted that the booms are MUCH lighter than the intro. The fuz is a complete re-design too, and the booms no longer have glass fibre guides, its all CF now. The model with have 3305s throughout apart from the elevator which will have a 8411. Spektrum R9000 RX and some other bits!

warbird_1 07-08-2008 05:36 PM

no different than the intro really. just a tad wider for the p-80 and a forward tappered leading edge on the stab and bigger intakes. i was hoping thaey would have rounded the square booms better.
nothing really new , bummer

ltdorn1 07-08-2008 07:52 PM

How about a couple shots of the gear mounts......

any differneces from intro and will intro gear fit?

Lawrence

Dave Presta 07-08-2008 07:58 PM

Volkan,
Been busy working and playing with my little girl. I don't want to sidetrack your build thread, so lets just catch up via email. I will be heading to Florida in October to hang with Ali at Monster Planes, good to hear from you.
Take care,
Presta

[email protected]

cpierre82 07-09-2008 07:15 AM

volkan,
What retract system will you use?

volkan 07-09-2008 02:35 PM

I am not 100% sure at the moment, but will let you know as soon as. Engine will be a Booster 80+ just doing the boring stuff now, hinging, servo covers etc. Once I get the fuel tank and gear set, I can start the real work.

LT Dorn, will take some pics soon.

volkan 07-09-2008 04:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A few more pictures...

There are no more keyholes with the sprint, the plane fits much like the XL with 2 alu tubes coming out the wings which go through the booms and into the center section where a screw keeps everything together! Much simpler and easier to use.

volkan 07-11-2008 01:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A bit more done, still waiting for the retract units and some servos but I started work on the fuz and centre section today. There are loads of changes from the intro, just take a look at the pictures! Notably there is a lot more room in the nose section of the plane.

Airforce7 07-11-2008 01:39 PM

Looks like Robart 630s would fit in the wheel wells. Is that a break-away former right where the mains go in?

volkan 07-11-2008 01:41 PM

Yip!

Woketman 07-11-2008 02:40 PM

I just recieved and opened mine! Just came via DHL.

H.Dale 07-12-2008 08:44 AM

I am working on my Sprint I received last week from Patricia. This is going to be a real floater. It is now justs a smaller version of the XL.

My question is this. I have a set of Eurokit retracts that were thrown in with another kit I bought. They are very heavy duty retracts with 1/4" struts. They will fit with a very slight modification to the rails. Should I try and use them or purchase the Springair retracts that are recommended. These are new in the box and I hate to see them go to waste.

Thanks for any advice.

Hal

volkan 07-12-2008 05:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A bit more done today! Attached the fuz to the centre section which was now even easier thanks to the bolts at the back! Just drilled the holes, did a few fry fits, then aeropoxied everything into place! No need to worry about it moving when drying.

Also just placed the engine in the fuz, this is a booster 80+ so its similar size to the P60, and as you can see, LOADS of room for bigger engines!

volkan 07-13-2008 07:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
A little bit more done [:-]

Fitting this model together...I have to say...is MUCH easier than the intro!

ltdorn1 07-14-2008 07:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just got my Kit and FYI for people wondering about the split elevator in the prelim Sprint drawings, THE ELEVATOR IS NOT SPLIT ITS SOLID, ONE SERVO ONLY.

Couple more picts for you guys comparing Baby with Sprint.

Outer wing panels are same between the two.
The new air intakes will need alot of modding to make fit the baby boomer.

r/
Lawrence

AndyAndrews 07-14-2008 09:22 PM

When is Boomerang going to recognize that the covering they use is terrible? Every new kit I have seen has bubbles that will not iron out. If they used a higher grade covering like Monokote they wouldn't have these problems. It can't be that much more expensive. They are losing repeat customers because of this.

Andy

Wayne22 07-14-2008 09:53 PM

It is very similar to Ultracote..you need to use a heat gun. The boomer is no different in this respect than any other arf I have seen when the covering is applied on the other side of the planet under different climatic conditions.... However, I'm very temped to strip it all off next winter and glass the whole thing.....

volkan 07-15-2008 04:18 AM

Well I have built a number of boomerangs and yes there are bubbles but nothing that was impossible to iron out! I just usually leave it to the end of the build.

I'm pretty sure the Robart 630s will just drop straight in. Turbine is in and I am just waiting for the retracts to finish this build off!

digitech 07-15-2008 04:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: volkan

Well I have built a number of boomerangs and yes there are bubbles but nothing that was impossible to iron out! I just usually leave it to the end of the build.

I'm pretty sure the Robart 630s will just drop straight in. Turbine is in and I am just waiting for the retracts to finish this build off!

Underway!

just all done.
need to do some main cover lasercutting , and will ship all out today.

digitech 07-15-2008 07:11 AM

something wrong with the forum?

can,t edit , pics wont show?
anyway here is the new Sprint undercarriage made especially for you
for the spring.
will make a manual later today , i got to finish this spring also before friday.

http://www.digitech-turbines.com/pictures/sp1.jpg
http://www.digitech-turbines.com/pictures/sp2.jpg
http://www.digitech-turbines.com/pictures/sp3.jpg
http://www.digitech-turbines.com/pictures/sp4.jpg

Ali 07-15-2008 07:51 AM

Nice U/C Sandor. God you work fast!
The covering on all of the Boomerangs is Oracover/ Profilm Which in my opinion is one of if not the best covering available. Alan actually has to pay extra to have each model covered in this over the Cheap China kote covering featured on most ARTF's.
Yes it does wrinkle, but show me one far eastern manufactured ARTF on the market today and I will be amazed. I am in the trade and its just an unfortunate aspect of ARTFS that due to the massive temp changes from the time the model is covered to when it is unpacked and built wrinkles do appear. It now an expected aspect of ARTF modes I guess, and we all deal with it in different ways. I hate to see it to but its nothing that a few careful minuets with a heat gun and a cool cloth wont cure. I have to say I have not seen any that are so badly wrinkled that it is impossible to remove them, but hey this is the model business... anything is possible.
Regards Al

digitech 07-15-2008 08:59 AM

ORIGINAL: Ali

Nice U/C Sandor. God you work fast!
The covering on all of the Boomerangs is Oracover/ Profilm Which in my opinion is one of if not the best covering available. Alan actually has to pay extra to have each model covered in this over the Cheap China kote covering featured on most ARTF's.
Yes it does wrinkle, but show me one far eastern manufactured ARTF on the market today and I will be amazed. I am in the trade and its just an unfortunate aspect of ARTFS that due to the massive temp changes from the time the model is covered to when it is unpacked and built wrinkles do appear. It now an expected aspect of ARTF modes I guess, and we all deal with it in different ways. I hate to see it to but its nothing that a few careful minuets with a heat gun and a cool cloth wont cure. I have to say I have not seen any that are so badly wrinkled that it is impossible to remove them, but hey this is the model business... anything is possible.
Regards Al

i am also wrinkled , i tried ironing.
now i cant pee without pain :-)

highhorse 07-15-2008 12:08 PM

ORIGINAL: AndyAndrews

When is Boomerang going to recognize that the covering they use is terrible? Every new kit I have seen has bubbles that will not iron out. If they used a higher grade covering like Monokote they wouldn't have these problems. It can't be that much more expensive. They are losing repeat customers because of this.

Andy
The covering job on my XL was excellent. And I have no gripes with the material either.

AndyAndrews 07-15-2008 12:45 PM

ORIGINAL: Wayne22

It is very similar to Ultracote..you need to use a heat gun. The boomer is no different in this respect than any other arf I have seen when the covering is applied on the other side of the planet under different climatic conditions.... However, I'm very temped to strip it all off next winter and glass the whole thing.....

We have used heat guns and irons. It flattens out temporarily and then the bubbles just come back. Unlike Monokote. Ask anyone who owns the Elan. Allan has even suggested that people coat the covering with clear paint after ironing it out. I didn't like that fix.

The two Elans here in Arkansas both have this problem. The new Sprint they were giving away at Shreveport Jets had this problem. Same with the Boomerang products they gave away at Mt. Pleasant.

Andy

Jet Lag 07-15-2008 02:04 PM

I used a heat gun and a soft rag to eliminate the wrinkles and etc in my Elan when I got it and have over 40 flights on it to date with the covering tight.I don't suggest using a iron.

schroedm 07-15-2008 02:40 PM

Sandor, that is just wrong on soooo many levels :D

digitech 07-15-2008 02:58 PM

ORIGINAL: schroedm

well building 3 models in 10 days.
making 2 landing gears for a new model.
swapped a turbine over on the last minute.
makes you write funny things

ok now lets get on the build...

Big feet 07-16-2008 05:12 AM

ORIGINAL: digitech

ORIGINAL: schroedm

well building 3 models in 10 days.
making 2 landing gears for a new model.
swapped a turbine over on the last minute.
makes you write funny things

ok now lets get on the build...
Write funny things is OK, iron funy things......OUCH!

BuschBarber 07-16-2008 10:14 AM

I just received my Sprint. Aren't the Wing Rods made of steel? They seem heavy. Other than that. this ARF is great.

Do you really trust CA hinges on a plane that can fly 150+?

shaun1 07-16-2008 10:58 AM

ORIGINAL: BuschBarber

Do you really trust CA hinges on a plane that can fly 150+?

BuschBarber

It is certainly trusted on the Boomerang Elan clocked at 190+ before my very eyes. I appreciate, you cant be too careful! ;)

Hope you enjoy the sprint!

Regards,

Shaun

Bird of Pray 07-16-2008 12:40 PM

Sandor , is that the same gear that is used in the Baby Boomer?

digitech 07-16-2008 01:40 PM

ORIGINAL: Bird O Pray

nope it is different.
i have also a Sprint here
the fuse has been "blown" up , therefore so have the gear mounts
the picture you see have the 76mm (4 inch ) wheels mounted and there is still space.
the LG is also a size up and is the same used as in the Elan.
the Oleo,s used on the Sprint are a bit "lighter" and go up to 22LBS.
so perfect match for the Sprint.
we will update the webshop in a few days , there is a optional "de Luxe" front oleo also.
but what you see on the picture is the actual product , incl the Fake carbon covers.
the manual is done , but i got a good help from our translation into proper translation:D

phjoker 07-16-2008 02:26 PM

ORIGINAL: digitech

ORIGINAL: Bird O Pray

nope it is different.
i have also a Sprint here
the fuse has been "blown" up , therefore so have the gear mounts
the picture you see have the 76mm (4 inch ) wheels mounted and there is still space.
the LG is also a size up and is the same used as in the Elan.
the Oleo,s used on the Sprint are a bit "lighter" and go up to 22LBS.
so perfect match for the Sprint.
we will update the webshop in a few days , there is a optional "de Luxe" front oleo also.
but what you see on the picture is the actual product , incl the Fake carbon covers.
the manual is done , but i got a good help from our translation into proper translation:D

Are they in stock and ready to ship to the states? I need a set