RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   bvm super bandit build- (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/9881424-bvm-super-bandit-build.html)

agent adds 07-22-2010 02:45 PM

bvm super bandit build-

anyone done a full review-not of the balsa job.

Laura H 07-22-2010 04:20 PM

RE: bvm super bandit build-

Sniper you have forgotten todays tablet?
You had a bandit kit which you nearly built - sold it.
You had a black bandit which was ready to go - sold it.

Laura

Jamie C 07-22-2010 04:33 PM

Sniper, a man of your means should just buy a new one!

Couch Potato 07-22-2010 05:12 PM

ORIGINAL: Jamie C
Sniper, a man of your means should just buy a new one!
yeah, buy Jason's ;)

jason 07-22-2010 05:26 PM

Adam has actually bought a S.B kit. Whether he will build it or not in another question :eek::D

Jason

roger.alli 07-22-2010 11:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have a Super Composite which is just about ready for paint. It has taken me about a year of intermittent evenings to get to this stage, so it is definitely not a “buy Monday, fly Sunday” project. And I expect that paint work and fitting out will take at least a further 3-4 months. I am a slow builder, and not a great RCU poster, so am not really up to writing a full-on build thread. As you probably know Gordon has done an excellent full build thread on the Balsa Bandit http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_30.../tm.htm#305904

The main difference is of course the flight surfaces which are fully composite, being a carbon/balsa/glass structure, laid up in a mould (I presume). This makes for very strong and ridged surfaces which are a lot stronger the Balsa or BARF models. They are however considerably heavier then the built up Balsa wings/stabs. The Super Comp wings are clipped a bit compared to the Balsa or BARF, but it uses the same sections. There are lots of other small differences in hardware, the hinging method is exceptionally strong, but takes a bit of effort to achieve.

The Super Comp is pretty much the same price as a painted BARF, so I don’t think they are anywhere near as popular, given the big build effort required. But, if you can cope with the build/paint work required, they are the best of the breed. And even though it is built exactly as per the BVM instructions, I am still able to add little personal touches which add up to make a unique model, something you don’t get with the BARF.

I have some other photos of the build but if you want to know anything in particular, let me know.

Roger

Laura H 07-23-2010 01:19 AM

Who told you that?

Last time I heard from Steve E, Sniper was doing his usual - (I am on my way scenrio).

Laura

agent adds 07-23-2010 03:28 AM

Thanks for the Pic's and the other report to read.

agent adds 07-25-2010 12:34 PM

anyone intrested if i show my build as a thread

Andrew Bird 07-25-2010 12:41 PM

Get them up!

Laura H 07-25-2010 03:40 PM

You'll be waiting along time - he has had a kit in the past which was not built.

Sniper
Treating my dad like a mug again (last Sunday and today) and dont keep emailing me crap!

Laura

Johnny9390 07-25-2010 06:17 PM

anyone know of anyone who has a Super Balsa Bandit Kit they wanna sell?? I have been searching for one for a while with no luck

agent adds 07-26-2010 03:29 PM

Well Day two-Tommorrow I await a 4-40 tap and 2/56 as well.
Most sub assemblies have been completed-yes the easy jobs.
Will post pic's soon.

Couch Potato 07-26-2010 03:56 PM

Is it finished yet Adam ?
Will it be ready for JMA RAF Scampton meet ?
Where are the pics ?
Please don't paint it Ferrari red ! [:'(]

agent adds 07-26-2010 04:15 PM

Dont worry-it will not be RED.
But it will be awesome.
On Target for a six week build!
Will not visit a flying field till then!

Andrew Bird 07-26-2010 05:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Soon to be reunited with mine when I get back to the UK for a while next month.

Good luck with that 6 week schedule:D

agent adds 07-26-2010 05:42 PM

nice paint job-Birdman.

jason 07-26-2010 05:53 PM

Adam

come get building your Bandit, Mine took 6 weeks to build, it had hundreds of flights over the 7 & 1/2 years I owned it and tonight it went off to it's new owner[:o]

I'll start to think that you will actually finish this one once I have seen all the surfaces hinged! Remember it's one hinged surface a night and after that you are well on the way to that first flight.

Jason

Andrew Bird 07-26-2010 06:33 PM

Yup - I agree with Jason. The hinges and prepping for paint were the big jobs for me. I just made a real effort to get something done on it every day.

Sorry to hear you sold yours Jason. I sold mine - then bought it back!:)

roger.alli 07-26-2010 07:31 PM

ORIGINAL: The birdman

Soon to be reunited with mine when I get back to the UK for a while next month.

Good luck with that 6 week schedule:D
That is a very cool looking Bandit.

Roger

Andrew Bird 07-26-2010 08:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks - the paint takes so much work. I could really do with re clearing it as well (or getting someone who knows what they're doing to do it!).

agent adds 07-27-2010 03:32 PM

tanks completed and semi looked at this complex hinge idea.for the rudder.
im reading the book again.have used a pence and made all measurements.
was this kit meant to make you awaken in cold sweat's.

Gordon Mc 07-27-2010 04:02 PM

ORIGINAL: agent adds
was this kit meant to make you awaken in cold sweat's.
Nah - should be a piece of cake, especially since you are assembling the version that is largely pre-built, rather than building up the flying surfaces ! ;)

3dean 07-28-2010 07:12 PM

adam

where are the piccys

crhammond 08-02-2010 09:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
That scheme should show up well.

I re-maidened myComposite Super Bandit on Saturday. I got it from Jeremy F. in BC Canada. He did the build and paint. It only had a handful of flights on it.
Flies INCREDIBLE. On rails like a pattern plane. It lands very easily, slows down great, no pitch change with flaps and flares out nicely for soft main wheel landings.

Power is an EVo-Jet 130 (32lbs) in a Pegasus bypass. Dry weight is 24lbs.

Mine has major issues with orientation. It is visible but at distance the wings, tanks, rudder - everything just disappear. The tanks were re-painted white yesterday and I'm going to use some white vinyl on the tips and LE of the wings and rudder.

Chris.