Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

I had to eat my words.

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2003, 08:24 PM
James1701

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I had to eat my words.

Well I have been running the Sportmaxx. So I decided to find out what all the fuss was about with the Savage. Well after I got it broke in. I got a chance to get out and start bashing with it. Let me say first without starting a flame war against Traxxas and HPI both are very good trucks, but they just do it different. First the climbing. I thought my Sportmaxx did very good, but let me say I was blown away. I could tackle a hill that was about a 50-60 degree angle in spots that is about 150 feet long and strewn with large rocks here and there and could run the Savage all the way to the top almost every time. The Sportmaxx would want to flip and loose traction about a third of the way up. And to beat it all. When I was at the top I rolled the Savage side ways and it just started rolling from side to side all the way to the bottom. Thats about 150 feet from the top to the bottom. I was hitting hard by the time it reached the bottom and hit a bush to break its fall. And believe it or not it was still running and as soon as I got there and pulled it out I just hit the trigger and it was gone. I was very impressed with its durability. Now I don't want to say either Maxx's could not do it because I have never tried it so I don't know. As far as comparing the Sportmaxx to it, the Maxx would waste it on a racetrack, in stock form. It gets up to speed a whole lot faster and is more agile than the Savage. I like them both very much. And for the newbie getting a Savage before you even try to put the body clips back on, bend the closed end up just a little with a pair of pliers. Makes it a lot easier to put the shell on and off and you don't scratch your body as bad while putting the front clips on.
Old 08-17-2003, 08:55 PM
Savage_Dias

Congrats on the new Savage! They can climb relatively smooth hills like there's no tomorrow but if you're trying slow rock climbing be prepared to scour the ground for wheel nuts. They tend to break loose & spin off. If it weren't for the locking hex nuts on my Savage & probably would've thrown my radio due to all the lost axle pins by now.
Old 08-17-2003, 09:07 PM
James1701

Thanks for the warning. Thats one thing I will have to really keep and eye on then. Might try just a a touch of lock tight. the weak one, not the blue or red.
Old 08-17-2003, 10:37 PM
BUGGIES_R_US

Unfair comparison.. Sportmaxx is 2WD and Savage is 4WD. That makes all the difference in the world for the activities you described!

ram
Old 08-18-2003, 02:35 AM
James1701

Reread the first I said in the begining they were different. By the way I do have a Terra Crusher, so I can compensate for 4wd and weight.