Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Stuff to get with Savage SS

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2003, 03:50 AM
GALAXY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stuff to get with Savage SS

I'm gonna order the SS in a couple weeks and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for some semi-necessary parts other than a fuel filter and failsafe.
Old 09-03-2003, 04:01 AM
Rex2342

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get hese parts since they are easy to put in since the truck isn't built yet.It's the parts for the Diff mod.You'll need 2 of each to complete it.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...73&FVPROFIL=++
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXDLD4&P=M

And get this stuff instead of using the grease HPI supplies.
Use the 1000 in the front and the 3000 in the rear.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBZT2&P=M
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXNS85&P=M
Old 09-03-2003, 04:35 AM
Ge|atinousFury

What actually does this "diff mod" do? If it's worth my while, I might have to look into it. I'm picking up my Savage SS Friday and when I build it, I wanna build it right
Old 09-03-2003, 04:54 AM
Rex2342

It's really just makes the Diff stronger and gives you a better diff action.
Old 09-03-2003, 09:14 AM
oztexs

why dont you go for the 3 shoe clutch setup aswell ?

the RTR version is going to come stock with the 3 shoe setup.

it will give you better take off. id say its worth it.
Old 09-03-2003, 03:43 PM
GALAXY

Ahhh yes,the diff mod I've heard about. Is there no diff oil in those stock?Do I need seals for that or does it come with seals?I'll look into the clutch after break in but thats a good idea too.Thanks
Old 09-03-2003, 04:25 PM
remten2001

Rex2342
you got them them mixed up its 3000 in front and 1000 in the rear...For the silicon oil for the diffs....
Old 09-03-2003, 06:56 PM
Ge|atinousFury

1. Can someone post a link to a really good 3 shoe clutch setup?
2. Will I need to do the fuel tank mod with the Savage SS? If so, can someone post a link about this mod?
Old 09-03-2003, 10:37 PM
Rex2342

Originally posted by wizen2002
Rex2342
you got them them mixed up its 3000 in front and 1000 in the rear...For the silicon oil for the diffs....

LOL Oops sorry LOL....

Galaxy,the diffs come with rubber gaskets to seal the diff.Hpi includeds Grease for the diff but the Silicon fluid is better than grease.

Ge|atinousFury,The tank mod will need to be done but if you don't have the SS yet but plan on buying it soon the New Savage25 RTR will have a New tank on it with the Pick up in the rear so you could just wait for that tank to be released.

I'm using a Mugen 3 shoe setup on my 8port Savage and have no complaints what so ever.here is the link to the clutch setup I use.I'm not sure if it will fit the SS 25 engine but I don't see any reason it wouldn't work right.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXNJ82&P=7
Old 09-04-2003, 01:22 AM
Ge|atinousFury

Rex, I think I'm gonna go for the Mugen 3 shoe clutch upgrade......does the kit come with instructions? If not, is there a web tutorial that explains the process, or am I making it out to be harder than it really is?

About the new tank on the RTR Savage 25, I might just get the new Savage 25 RTR tank seperately when it's released, because I'd really like to be building my own truck (seeing as it's my first REAL R\C vehicle).
Old 09-04-2003, 02:41 AM
Rex2342

(0% of all clutch's go in the same way.HPI had VERY good instructions with all their kits and they make it pretty clear how it goes in.The three shoe is exactly the same with just one more clutch shoe.Once you do it once you'll be able to get it right everytime.Kits are a little difficult for your First real R/C.My first real R/C was the Rs4 3 Type SS witch is also a kit.It wasn't to hard putting that together thanks to HPI's instructions.Kits are also a great way to learn what is what and what everything does.Just take your time and don't be affraid to ask about something you don't understand.

One thing though.I'm not sure if the flywheel is going to be already attachted to the New engine in the Savage SS.If it is you will need a small puller to get it off and replace it with the new one.It's press fit on but I'm not sure if HPI has done it for you or not but if it is your going to have to remove it carefully..
Old 09-04-2003, 02:48 AM
GALAXY

Cool Rex,I got all that in the "cart"...I'll have to wait on the clutch.
Old 09-04-2003, 10:29 AM
jrkessler

Rex, so why the new bevel gears for the SS? Is something wrong with the ones that come with the kit? Fixen to get a kit as soon as they are available in the area and would like to replace things as I build it.
Old 09-04-2003, 01:22 PM
heli-savage

Guys,

I have a question for all - what's with all the upgrades? Whenever I here or read anything related to MT, all anyone talks about are upgrades. Are the parts that come with any MT junk or are the upgrades just to get the edge or the next guy in competion? I am asking b/c all my life I have wanted a nice MT but I have no desire to race or compete at all. I just want something with high performance to bang around the local gravel pits. I decided to purchase the SS mainly b/c I have always liked the Savage due to the fact that it is a kit and I can get good radio gear, not the junk that comes with all the RTRs (at least so I here). By building this truck, I can get to learn about more about it as well.

It just seems like people are constantly pumping money into their already expensive MT. For what I want, do you think the stalk parts are fine. I realize things break and need to be replaced but I don't understand replacing thinkgs before they are even built.

Just trying to understand! Thanks.
Old 09-04-2003, 03:04 PM
POJack

Originally posted by dante0501
I have a question for all - what's with all the upgrades? Whenever I here or read anything related to MT, all anyone talks about are upgrades. Are the parts that come with any MT junk or are the upgrades just to get the edge or the next guy in competion?
Just think about the guy with a muscle car or full sized truck. There are endless upgrades (superchargers, headers, pipes, etc...) for these full sized vehicles and they make the vehicle perform better. The same thing is true for RC upgrades. Most of the aftermarket parts are better than stock thereby creating better performance from the rc. There are also parts people buy that create more life than the stock parts if you don't want to be replacing broken stock parts all the time. Upgrades are great for competition, but I don't compete and have a ton of aftermarket parts on my t-maxx. There are only a few stock parts left on it. It's kinda like people competing to have the best MT out there.
Old 09-04-2003, 04:28 PM
Rex2342

Originally posted by jrkessler
Rex, so why the new bevel gears for the SS? Is something wrong with the ones that come with the kit? Fixen to get a kit as soon as they are available in the area and would like to replace things as I build it.

You still use the same spider gears you just ad 2 more to the Diff.The Diff now had 4 spider gears instead of 2.

Old 09-04-2003, 04:53 PM
remten2001

all savage SS owners should do the mod pictured above it is a must have mod beleive me.....

IF you don't do it what will happen after 20 to 30 tanks of fuels or less the cross pin that the spider gears rides on will gounge into the plastic slots and make the the spider gear become out of mesh and they might get destroyed and you will loose power to your rear diff....

The 4 spider mod adds more strenght as you are using all 4 slots in the diff case housing....Good thing HPI design the diff case with an extra 2 slots....
Old 09-04-2003, 05:01 PM
Rex2342

I wonder why they desgned it that way and didn't use 4 gears anyway?
Old 09-04-2003, 09:37 PM
remten2001

I wonder why they desgned it that way and didn't use 4 gears anyway?
good question but you will hear about it in the near future for all of those who didn't do it.....

I know cause when i ran my savage stock no prob....As soon as i droped the force .25 ...5 tanks later and the cross pin had already gounge its way into the diff casing.....
Old 09-05-2003, 10:07 AM
jrkessler

Thanks for the info...any other recommendations?
Old 09-05-2003, 04:56 PM
Rex2342

Originally posted by jrkessler
Thanks for the info...any other recommendations?

Thats about it other than the fuel tank issue's but HPI is fixing the tank and it should be being released in the next month or so.You could do the Dual tank mod but it will be easier to to just wait for the new tank. Just get yourself a good HIGH torque steering servo and a good failsafe maybe a new tuned pipe and you should be able to run trouble free for a while.HPI has taken care of most of the problems with the first run of Savage21's so thier realy isn't to much left to Fix from the factory.The rest is just upgrading the stuff YOU don't like about it.
Old 09-06-2003, 04:24 PM
ShOzz

?what about the servo saver?

i heard you should switch it to the MP saver set up?
anyone know specifics?
Old 09-06-2003, 04:51 PM
Rex2342

I've read about it but don't know the details.From what I understand the Monster Pirate has a servo saver built into the steering bellcranks instead of into the servo horn.I've seen the part they talk about on my Friends MP but haven't tried to put it on my truck yet.It eliminates the need for the servo saver horn and you can just use a regular servo horn instead and it's supposed to be better that way.Since you mentioned the servo saver I recommend getting either the Kimbrough one or try out the MP setup.
Old 09-06-2003, 05:09 PM
ShOzz

http://www.savage-central.com/module...ewtopic&t=2361