Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

savage pullstart bearing

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2003, 01:52 PM
dirtsavage

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default savage pullstart bearing

I was wondering if anyone has had any problems with there pullstart oneway bearing? I installed an HPI rotostart on my truck with the stock motor. The truck is only a week old. The rotostart worked great for the break in and I got to run 2 tanks of fuel thru it. A couple of days ago I went to start the truck and the rotostarter just kept spinning and would not turn the motor. I pulled off the back plate rotostart adapter and found the oneway bearing spinning free both ways. I cleaned off the starter shaft and spun the bearing by hand a few times and the bearing engaged and grabbed the starter shaft. I then assembled everything and went to start it. It worked but then the engine stalled, went back to start, the engine turned, sputtered a little then the bearing just let go and started to spin freely again. What can I do to this bearing to get it to stop spinning both ways? Should I clean it or just pay the $20 for a new one? Help!![sm=confused.gif][sm=confused.gif][sm=confused.gif][sm=confused.gif]
Old 09-10-2003, 04:59 PM
SavageRCRacer
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: savage pullstart bearing

Just clean it real good. With your truck being new, it is probably running slobbering rich. Try giving it a good clean with parts cleaner or nitro cleaner work work good.
Old 09-11-2003, 07:51 AM
GotSavage?

Soak the bearing in some denatured alcohol overnite and then get some on-way bearing grease (yes it does exist). Like Fordplay said the slipping is probably caused by oil getting by the o-ring on the backplate because the break-in setting are always so rich.
Old 09-11-2003, 04:16 PM
Justintoxicated

many people hated the rotostart on the .21 because it would destroy their one way bearings, or so i hear....

I guess what happens is the engine floods and puts too much strain on the 1 way and the rotostart breaks it...Just like when you can't use teh pullstart because teh engine is flooded, but instead of knowing the problem the rotostart can jsut damage teh bearing...

I was suprised HPI is putting a rotostart on their new trucks, I would much rather stick to my pull start.
Old 09-11-2003, 09:07 PM
Shangri-La

Your one way bearing needs to be cleaned. The best way to clean it is to squirt some WD-40 into it. Give it a couple of squirts. What has happened to it is that it has become gummed up from the caster oil that is in the fuel. When breaking in a new engine, because its running so rich, excess fuel will migrate past the crank/backplate and soak the bearing.
WD-40 will dissolve caster oil very fast.
Old 09-11-2003, 09:30 PM
popa71

Your one way bearing needs to be changed. because that rotostart spins that bearing 10 times as fast and hard as a pull start it will strip. It happened to me with the Dirt Demon.You can clean it and it might work for a start or 2 but then it will start spinning freely again. The nut that fits over it needs to be replaced as well!!!! I prefer a pull start, less problems
Old 09-12-2003, 05:07 PM
dirtsavage

Thanks guys for all the help and suggestions.

Popa 71 is right. I would pull out the bearing and clean it with WD-40. It would work for a couple of starts but would start to spin again. Non the less, after a close inspection and a good cleaning I discovered a crack in the hex nut that housed the bearing and found one of the splines that holds the needle bearings in place broken. I called HPI and they said they would send a new one as soon as they received the broken one.

The rotostart is a god send for maybe a stuborn engine that you have to contantly restart (like the savage). But the starter works to good. It has so much torque you can't feel hydrolic lock or your just simply just hammering on the starter bearing. I will probably put my pull start back on till I can tune the engine to where I don't have to constantly restart the motor.

Thanks again![sm=cool.gif]