Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Need some help please.

Old 05-08-2016, 09:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some help please.

Dom I'm somewhat new to the RC world. I had a nitro truck along time ago but it wasn't anything like what I have now. I was actually gifted a revo 3.3 with a hole bunch of extras. Long story but anyways I was running it the other night and out of no where out just stopped. So I tried restarting it and it wouldn't budge. Tore the engine apart and found that I busted the Con rod and put a hole in the piston. Did a bunch of research and found that the picco .26 red dot seems like my best engine. But what I need help with is what else do I need. I'm a mechanic so engines come second nature to me but I have been reading a lot of articles and some people are talking about needing parts I've never heard of. Any help would be greatly appreciated. And if you recommend a different motor I'm open for sugestions to. This is a hobby I would like to get into with my son. Tha k you.
Old 05-08-2016, 10:21 AM
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Picco .26 red dot I know of is a direct drop in replacement for a Traxxas engine. The Traxxas engine is a small block, the Picco is a mid block. It has a special mount but you don't need anything to install it but drivetrain upgrades are recommended. That engine has been discontinued for years though. Big block engines on the other hand are longer and require a special mount among other things. Putting a big block in a Revo is a complicated conversion with lots of variables and lots of drivetrain upgrades are required. Honestly if you want that much power you're better off with a 1/8 truggy that's designed for that kind of power to begin with.

There are really only 3 easy engine options. Another 3.3 engine. O.S. .21 drop in replacement engine or Novarossi also has a drop in replacement. Personally I'd go with the OS as they're very easy engines to live with, wide tuning window, hold a tune nicely, just easy. The Novarossi will probably make a little more power up top but you'll be fiddling with the needles a bit more. Drop in replacement means everything Traxxas bolts right up including the EZ Start.
Old 05-08-2016, 10:55 AM

Thanks for the insite. Like I said I'm just getting into it and don't want to spend a fortune right up front.
Old 05-08-2016, 08:17 PM

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts

The Nova will be a lot cheaper than the OS, and better made. Most OS is made in China now, the Novas are still made in Italy. Only real downside to a Nova is most are Turbo plug engines. Not all bad, turbo plugs last longer usually.

2.5cc Novarossi (Rex) engine for Revo $124. http://novarossidirect.com/N25SCRT-R...VO_p_3336.html
Add the pipe, manifold, and coupler for $38 and you have $162 for a complete engine and exhaust.

OS .21TM with Revo manifold is 270!! http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXRTM2&P=ML
Add on a better pipe for $50 and you have $320 invested. Seems to be a no brainer to me. Legendary Italian quality for half the price.

Before anyone nitpicks, I know this is a apples to oranges deal comparing a .15 to a .21... But really it's a small cased .21, so I really doubt it will pull that much harder. Either engine is likely to out power a 3.3 pretty easily, but my money would be on the little Nova. Imagine the look on your buddy's face when you tell him it's only a .15.... LoL.

Last edited by 1QwkSport2.5r; 05-08-2016 at 08:22 PM.
Old 05-09-2016, 01:33 AM

If we are talking engine sizes. What is the stock revo engine size. In assuming it's not 3.3 vs .15 or .22. That just seems way to big. And are the stock 3.3 engines realy all that bad? I just want something that will stay running for a long time. And what is a turbo plug?
Old 05-09-2016, 02:00 AM

I'm not an expert on the Revo by any means, but I'll share some big block conversion experience and things I've read about it. I think you can still get the Traxxas big block kit for the Revo, but I'm not sure which engines would work without modification. The New Era mount is the best one that was made for this kind of mod and is able to fit most any big block engine, but I don't know if it's made anymore. I'd be very tempted to try this if I had a Revo using a Dynamite Big Red .28 or an LRP .28 or .30. The only issue is if it doesn't fit, you are likely stuck doing a bunch of cutting, grinding, and some custom fab work to make it all fit. The usual issue with such a modification seems to be the crank and size of the case itself as well as mounting position in relation to everything around it. I ran into the crank issue with my big block Maxx, had to cut a few mm off the crank end and shim the hell out of the clutch bell and motor mounts to make the gears line up and have the crank not hit the transmission.

I have seen some with the LRP engines in them, but I think I remember hearing you have to grind the engine mount from the kit out to accommodate the large crank case. Also, a pull start doesn't seem to fit to well using the Traxxas kit. It might work with a roto start set up, though. You'd need a proper exhaust as well, so you'll have to rig up a side mount pipe so you can use an 1/8 scale buggy system. If you want to do the big block, I'd try and find the New Era mount. Don't forget the drive train, either. The extreme power of a true big block will rip the stock drive train to shreds. I know all about that, you'll have to change all your drive shafts to steel CVD shafts, get a 1/8 scale clutch, and shim your diffs for sure. You might end up having to upgrade your diffs, too. I run stock brushless E Maxx diffs properly shimmed in my T and so far they're holding up.

If you decide to go drop in, I'd have to say the OS .21TM is probably the best overall option. A friend of mine I run with often has one is his T Maxx using a THS T Maxx exhaust and it's an excellent performer. The OS engine will tune much easier and hold a tune better. It is also much stronger than the stock 3.3 ever could be. OS engines cost more, but they run for a long time and just run great overall. The only engine I've ever ran that tunes as easily as an OS is my LRP. Another option would be the Picco P Max .21 which is a direct drop in as well. I'm not sure how good it is though and it's the same cost as the OS .21 is.
Old 05-09-2016, 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by Just4fun4x4
If we are talking engine sizes. What is the stock revo engine size. In assuming it's not 3.3 vs .15 or .22. That just seems way to big. And are the stock 3.3 engines realy all that bad? I just want something that will stay running for a long time. And what is a turbo plug?
The 3.3 Traxxas engine is a .20ci displacement. The 2.5/2.5R is a .15ci displacement. The Novarossi will outlast a Traxxas engine and will be less temperamental. The 3.3 has a habit of snapping (really they split down the middle usually) a conrod if broken in too cold. Standard glow plugs seal by means of the copper washer. Turbo plugs have no washers - they seal against the head button along the taper on the plug. Turbo plugs make more power because they don't interrupt the combustion chamber shape like standard plugs do. Novarossi Direct sells Nova turbo plugs for about $7 each.

I'm not a fan of OS. Their stuff is so overpriced it's not even funny.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	49
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	2161715   Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	85
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	2161716  

Last edited by 1QwkSport2.5r; 05-09-2016 at 03:20 AM.
Old 05-09-2016, 03:18 AM

One can't compare a LRP or Traxxas to these better made engines. I was a cynic of Nova and Picco for many years. I bought one of each and have been quite impressed. For the same or LESS money than an LRP, I got a Nova .28 with a pipe and only costing a few dollars more. I've run the SH based engines for many years... They run fine, but when you look at the fact that the Picco or Nova is made so much better and from what I've experienced, they will last a long time provided you don't abuse them too bad. I seriously would consider trying a Nova over the OS... Seriously - $270??
Old 05-09-2016, 10:29 AM

Thank you all. This is all very appreciated. One last question. Where is a good place to look at for buying all this and the drive train equipment. And what's a good remote to use also?
Old 05-09-2016, 12:03 PM

If you want the OS engine, the link I posted above will get you to the main distributor for OS. If you want the Nova, follow the link I posted. For a radio, I like Spektrum/JR Racing... Been using a Spektrum DX3S for a number of years. Some guys prefer Futaba - probably work fine, but I've never used one.
Old 05-09-2016, 12:11 PM

Awesome. Thanks for all the help
Old 05-14-2016, 01:14 AM

I'm a huge fan of O.S. and LRP both. Agree to disagree I guess The O.S. engines are generally not as fast as most Italian mills are for sure, but easier to tune in my experience. Though it has been years since I had an Italian mill so I'm sure much has changed. The LRP I have is wicked and easy to tune at the same time. I have about 2.5 gallons or so through it and it's still got a strong pinch at TDC and shows no signs of excessive wear. Is it slower than a Nova? Most likely, but it's a great basher engine and I'd wager that it's not far off in performance to a comparable Italian .28. It has torque all day and yet revs up like a small block. Not to mention I haven't touched the needles since last year and it still runs the same, very tolerant to temperature and humidity changes. The only downfall to it is that it is very fuel hungry. Anyways, if I where looking for a drop in I think I'd have to give that Nova a try. For the price it's definitely worth a shot, and it has to be better than the TRX engines are. Not much is worse than TRX engines, that's for sure! The last one I had was a 2.5R and it was a piece of junk.

+1 for Futaba here. I run a 3PRKA in my T Maxx and I love it. My closest RC buddy runs a Spektrum DX4S and it too has been flawless. Cant go wrong with either brand IMO. For budget, check out Flysky. I use an FS-GT2E in my Tamiya Lunchbox and it has been great. I like it more that the TQ radio my 1/16 Revo has.

As for plugs, check out Ebay. I buy mine (McCoy standard #8) there when I don't want to drive to the LHS.

Last edited by Maxximize; 05-14-2016 at 01:24 AM.
Old 05-14-2016, 04:09 AM

If OS charged a more reasonable price, the. They would be a more viable option. IMHO, Nova makes a nice engine and they provide a substantial value for your money considering they're cheaper than the SH/LRP variants and are better made. I haven't had any problems with any of my SH variant engines in nearly 20 years, nor have I had any problems with my Traxxas engines... That's not to say there's been some lemons though! They have all tuned great and run great. However after running a Picco P3 over he last couple weeks, I'll never a buy another SH engine as long as Novas are that much cheaper. This Picco is a BEAST and makes HEAPS more power than my SH .28P6. There is no comparison - The Italians know how to make a fine engine.
Old 05-14-2016, 10:29 PM

Yea OS is pretty high in price . I have only ever ran a few OS mills over the years because there are so many other options at lower costs. I've never ran a Nova engine, but I have ran Orion Picco based sport engines in the past. I had nothing but issues with them, the worst being the .18 Wasp I used to run in my old Maxx. Never could get that thing running right, though it did last a long time and still ran when I gave it away. The TRX engines were always the same for me, I went through 3 carb bodies on my 2.5R before I finally got one that didn't leak massive amounts of air. That engine ran about 5 gallons through it and then lost all compression. My brother's 3.3 runs hot too for some reason I cannot figure out and I have a terrible time tuning that thing for him. A few other guys I know that run T Maxx stock engines have no issues with them, must be luck of the draw. I always seal up plastic carbs before even running the engine, but that never helped with the TRX engines.

When I bought my z.28R I was also looking at the Picco P3 as a possibility. I settled on the LRP eventually, I think I remember reading about issues with the Picco carbs and leaking bearings, and that the Spec 3 is pretty close in performance to a P3. Either way, it moves my 14+ lb T Maxx easily enough, even pulls rolling wheelies. The z.28 Spec 3 is actually an SH 8 port, I believe it's a little faster and has more torque than the older 6 port Spec 2. So far the only complaints I have are that it's fuel hungry and loads up after 30 seconds or so of idling. It destroys fuel compared to my Kyosho KE.25, but it's also unbelievably more powerful. I got it for $165, I think the Picco was about $200 or so. For the low price the LRP is hard to beat for bashing. I'd like to try the ZR.32 some day as well, maybe when I get my Savage. One thing I love about the LRP and OS engines is that they still use aluminum carb bodies. I've never had any luck with the plastic carbs, so I usually go for aluminum if I can.

I can't seem to find the P3 at all anymore, I think it may be discontinued. Are there Italian big blocks out there that are still budget ranged, like around $220 or lower? I would like to try a Nova engine some day, always wanted to, but can't find much for them anymore either.

Last edited by Maxximize; 05-14-2016 at 10:36 PM.
Old 05-15-2016, 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by Maxximize
Yea OS is pretty high in price . I have only ever ran a few OS mills over the years because there are so many other options at lower costs. I've never ran a Nova engine, but I have ran Orion Picco based sport engines in the past. I had nothing but issues with them, the worst being the .18 Wasp I used to run in my old Maxx. Never could get that thing running right, though it did last a long time and still ran when I gave it away. The TRX engines were always the same for me, I went through 3 carb bodies on my 2.5R before I finally got one that didn't leak massive amounts of air. That engine ran about 5 gallons through it and then lost all compression. My brother's 3.3 runs hot too for some reason I cannot figure out and I have a terrible time tuning that thing for him. A few other guys I know that run T Maxx stock engines have no issues with them, must be luck of the draw. I always seal up plastic carbs before even running the engine, but that never helped with the TRX engines.

When I bought my z.28R I was also looking at the Picco P3 as a possibility. I settled on the LRP eventually, I think I remember reading about issues with the Picco carbs and leaking bearings, and that the Spec 3 is pretty close in performance to a P3. Either way, it moves my 14+ lb T Maxx easily enough, even pulls rolling wheelies. The z.28 Spec 3 is actually an SH 8 port, I believe it's a little faster and has more torque than the older 6 port Spec 2. So far the only complaints I have are that it's fuel hungry and loads up after 30 seconds or so of idling. It destroys fuel compared to my Kyosho KE.25, but it's also unbelievably more powerful. I got it for $165, I think the Picco was about $200 or so. For the low price the LRP is hard to beat for bashing. I'd like to try the ZR.32 some day as well, maybe when I get my Savage. One thing I love about the LRP and OS engines is that they still use aluminum carb bodies. I've never had any luck with the plastic carbs, so I usually go for aluminum if I can.

I can't seem to find the P3 at all anymore, I think it may be discontinued. Are there Italian big blocks out there that are still budget ranged, like around $220 or lower? I would like to try a Nova engine some day, always wanted to, but can't find much for them anymore either.
The P3 has been discontinued for some time. They were replaced with a new line of engines. I believe it's either the Torque or Boost series. The Piccos are still more expensive, but IMO, they're a more refined engine. The fit and finish is fantastic. The P3 I have I got from my LHS for $180 NOS. It's an absolute beast. I have no issues with it at all. The front bearing weeps some oil, but really, you want it to. That means the front bearing is getting lubed. I modified my P3 a little bit and even though it's set up pretty mildly, it is heaps faster and more powerful than my SH .28 6port and Mach 427. There is really no comparison whatsoever - the Picco blows the doors off the SH which I felt was quite powerful and strong. Piccos are a bit picky on glow plugs though. I'd buy another Picco if I found another NOS one.

As to other big blocks, Novarossi has come down in price considerably. I recently picked up a Legend .28 8-port turbo for $169 from Novarossidirect.com. The cheapest SH based engine I'd seen online was $200 and that was a 3-port .28. The Novarossi comes in standard bumpstart, rotostart, and pullstart. The one-way shaft is sealed with an o-ring which is a nice feature. They have a Revo/T-Maxx engine for $124. It's only a .15, but it probably blows the doors off the Traxxas engines in a lot of ways.

Ive been finding these engines will in fact run hotter (significantly in some cases) if you use too hot of a glow plug. Matching the pipe and manifold to the engine is crucial too. My Picco ran hot on a medium heat plug and long manifold. Changing to a cold plug and a shorter manifold made it a completely different engine. With a sharp but rich tune that gives crazy top end and a nice idle drop only runs at 210F on pavement. It was like a light switch once I put the short manifold on it. It blew my mind. So my suggestion for the hot running Traxxas engines - use a good fuel for starters. Next would be find a better pipe and manifold, and put a colder plug in it. I'm ordering some Picco medium plugs to try in my engines, but an MC9 McCoy has been working incredible so far. I'm working on fixing some stuff in my other LST2 that will get the Legend .28-8. I'm gonna get it modified too. Should make it a crazy truck. The Picco powered LST2 will spin all 4 tires off the line without breaking a sweat. An FWIW, the Picco carb on the latest P3s is fantastic. I'll be running in the Legend soon, and I'll put a small review up on it in the engines section.

I probably will never recommend another SH based mill after my experience with these Picco and Novarossi engines. They're just incomparable to SH engines in so many ways.

Last edited by 1QwkSport2.5r; 05-15-2016 at 04:35 AM.
Old 05-19-2016, 02:29 AM

Awesome info here! I just took a look at some of the Novas. I like looks of the Roma .25 and the Plus 28-7, but can't find any with a pull start. Is that an accessory that needs to be installed later with the back plate? Either way, I'd like to try that Roma or the 28-7 in my T Maxx. That 28-7 would go well in a Savage I think. When the LRP dies I'll give Nova a go I think. No doubt that Nova .15 would kill any TRX engine. For $130 you can't go wrong with that one.
Old 05-19-2016, 05:05 AM

The engines you listed like the Roma - those are buggy engines and only come in bumpstart. If you want a big block, try the legend series. Most come in pullstart and rotostart. You can click on an engine to get the specs and on that page it will have a pull down bar for the starting option. Be sure to check the glow plug if it's turbo or standard. Most Novas are turbo plug.

Last edited by 1QwkSport2.5r; 05-19-2016 at 07:10 AM.