Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Reviving old fogies

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2020, 04:37 PM
dirthugger

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Reviving old fogies

Decided to blow the dust from a couple of relics, 80's monster beetle and Terra Crusher. Monster Beetle charged up, sprayed motor solvent on MSC, turned on, and out it went going 13-15mph not bad for an old timer. Just have to get close as to make sure it doesn't runaway from me due to the MSC.
As for the Terra Crusher, with a hardly used(less than 1/2 a gallon) 2009 OS.18tz, it fired up after several priming steps, adjusted trasnmission to factory default just to be sure reverse and brakes operates accordingly, reset the bell crank and linkages, reset carb setting high and low needle and idle screw, after all this Crusher idles just fine. However, as I throttle up it does not want to move. My first analysis would be clutch issue. What are your thoughts? I would like to change clutch to the new 3 or 4 clutch shoe design, I know I will more likely have to get a new bell housing with a clutch pinion gear that matches the factory spur gear. I know this is a long shot, I hope somebody have tried this a decade ago or recently.
The following users liked this post:
D3MON (03-03-2020)
Old 03-03-2020, 07:49 AM
D3MON

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

i would guess maybe slipper went out, clutch shoes could be bad or slipping, while it was revving up did you notice if the clutchbell was spinning? if so could be something disengages with transmission maybe?
depending on the design of the flywheel of the existing, might be able to utilize a T-Maxx 3-shoe flywheel, (if it is the collet type on yours) or maybe a redcat 3-shoe flywheel (if it uses a "small flywheel" to hold the real flywheel on). redcats shoes are not the best. but you can get upgraded shoes for the flywheel.
i am pretty sure that clutchbell would be 32P, but double check that if possible.

Old 03-03-2020, 04:46 PM
dirthugger

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by D3MON
i would guess maybe slipper went out, clutch shoes could be bad or slipping, while it was revving up did you notice if the clutchbell was spinning? if so could be something disengages with transmission maybe?
depending on the design of the flywheel of the existing, might be able to utilize a T-Maxx 3-shoe flywheel, (if it is the collet type on yours) or maybe a redcat 3-shoe flywheel (if it uses a "small flywheel" to hold the real flywheel on). redcats shoes are not the best. but you can get upgraded shoes for the flywheel.
i am pretty sure that clutchbell would be 32P, but double check that if possible.
I didnt pay attention to the clutch bell, good call! I need to place the truck on a block and rev it up. However, i am able to spin the clutch bell freely, without any binding. I will look into the T-Maxx 3shoe clutch, I will have to take measurements and pinion gear teeth count. The factory is 16T. I will not worry about transmission yet until I see that the clutch is engaging and still doesn't propel the truck.

Thanks for the reply! I will provide update on this issue. Hopefully it will help anybody with similar problem.