Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Attention hardcore bashers

Old 10-03-2003, 07:54 PM
kennebell50

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Attention hardcore bashers

I'm sure most of you have lots tools and are plenty creative, so thaught I'd tell you how I save money on parts. Instead of buying pricey aluminum skid plates and other products, I get aluminum at the hardware store or find scrap pieces and make my own bumpers, skid plates, etc. for virtually no costs and it only takes a few minutes with the proper tools. I figure I've tons of money so far. I used to brake parts all of the time. Now its minimal.
Old 10-04-2003, 04:13 PM
kennebell50

Default RE: Attention hardcore bashers

Wow. so many people have read this but no replies. Is it that stupid of an idea. I guess next time I think I can he helpful I'll just keep it to myself and spare myself of feeling so dumbbbb.
Old 10-04-2003, 04:25 PM
auto2

no It's not dumb at all. the whole point of this hobby is to be creative.
I mean drive ti for a 1/2 hour and then fix it for 4 hours.
I make a lot of stuff also. roll bars and making used stuff from ebay fit where it wasn't ment to.
Old 10-04-2003, 08:44 PM
TheMachine

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great work, thats the way it should be I think(make all the stuff you can), but the lhs won`t encourage you to do so I bet !

I make skid plates for all my off-roaders, usually full skids with wings like 1/8th scale buggies, I use the plastic sheet from motor oil containers, the plastic is the toughest stuff I have ever come across, its indestructible, it doesn`t wear out and its less than 1mm thick! I mould the plastic sheet(after cutting the container open to a flat sheet) over the underside of the car with a bit of heat from a small blow torch, then I secure it with hot glue and a couple of low-profile screws into the skids etc

Here`s a couple of pics with the front end and radio tray removed ;

I drive on bluemetal and rocks all the time and I have never worn out or holed one of these skids !!, its the dangerous goods grade plastic ! it rocks ! With the pipe thru the skidd I don`t get oil anywhere it can`t be wiped off quickly with a rag !

TM
Old 10-04-2003, 09:14 PM
slugbugg

newtoheli,
No no no it's not a stupid idea at all.I don't know why no one else has responded maybe it's just easier for them to buy stuff but some really incredible things come from people making parts/stuff themselves.
Old 10-04-2003, 09:26 PM
R/C car guy

hey machine, where did you get the idea of using the plastic from motor oil contaianers to make skid plates?
Old 10-04-2003, 09:37 PM
TheMachine

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

trial and error I guess...... I just knew there was better(a lot than the stock R/C skids stuff) plastic out there I could make skids from..... so I started looking around, I tried lexan first, and a few others but found the dangerous goods stuff to be THE best. I could take it a step further and actually use thicker dangerous goods grade stuff(from hydrocloric acid , spirits of salts etc etc containers), but its much thicker and heavier(but its super super impact resistant)

I guess I got some of the idears from my mates rally car....he uses kevlar and plastic skids on the bottom of a full size rally race car !!!!!... tougher than steel !

TM
Old 10-05-2003, 06:35 AM
auto2

Default here is another idea

automotive brake line for a roll cage.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22585.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	145.8 KB
ID:	65580  
Old 10-05-2003, 01:51 PM
69 GTO

Default RE: here is another idea

Heli no its not a dumb idea...its a very good idea....dont know why no one replied to ya right away.[&:]

I have made alot of parts for all my trucks over the years....heres a roll cage i just made for my maxx outa 7/32 tubbing....its very strong and looks cool with the body on it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28849.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	65647