Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

anyone know how to convert an 1/8th scale buggy to a monster truck or where to buy a conversion kit?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

anyone know how to convert an 1/8th scale buggy to a monster truck or where to buy a conversion kit?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2003, 07:21 PM
dirtracer1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone know how to convert an 1/8th scale buggy to a monster truck or where to buy a conversion kit?

hi all....i'm new to the forum and i did a search on this topic, but i still can't find what i'm looking for. i have a kyosho 7.5 inferno that i'd like to convert into a t-maxx killing monster truck. i've seen some of these conversions in the mags, but there is no source of info here in my area. at present, there isn't any active 1/8th scales at my local track, although there is a fairly strong monster truck presence, mostly t-maxxes and savages. if i can't find a ready made conversion for it, i'd like to convert it myself. so far, all i've been able to find on the internet is the jt racing products conversion that they have for the mbx-4. they have said for six months that they're going to release a conversion kit for the inferno any minute now, but so far...nothing. if there aren't any good conversion kits available for the 7.5 inferno, then could someone please give me some specific instructions on how to convert the 7.5, what all is needed and where to get the parts, what weight diff fluids in what diffs, etc. i know that i'll need more than just a body and some wheels and tires and hub/wheel adapters, but beyond that, i'm pretty lost. thanks.
Old 11-03-2003, 09:03 AM
dirtracer1

Default RE: anyone know how to convert an 1/8th scale buggy to a monster truck or where to buy a conversion kit?

come on guys.....no one in here has any experience at all? need help and suggustions here....please help.
Old 11-03-2003, 10:06 AM
bigjdubb

Default RE: anyone know how to convert an 1/8th scale buggy to a monster truck or where to buy a conversion kit?

I havent converted an Inferno but I have talked quite a bit with the truggy folks here because I plan to convert my MBX. As far as wheels and tires www.imexrc.com makes some wheels that fit t-maxx size tires and have a 17mm hex and full backspacing for buggies. None of the hybrid racers here changed the diffs but did go pretty low on the gearing. You will have to kind of find out for yourself what gearing works best for you. Allot of guys make their own body mounts instead of buying some kit, but it would be nice for someone to come up with one.
Old 11-03-2003, 02:32 PM
studysession

A lot of people have converted Kyosho's into Truggies... They make the ultimate jump trucks. You want a truck that will pull wicked air, you are going in the right direction.

Instead of converting one I just bought a Dominator.

1 - Get some not to big but monster truck tires that fit 17mm wheels.
2 - Take off the splash guards.
3 - Need to switch to a lower # tooth clutch bell to handle the bigger tires.
4 - Make sure you have a metal gear high torque servo

After that - if anything breaks buy higher end peices. But things won't break easily on a 1/8 scale buggy. Anytime I seen people do this with the Kyosho 7.5 made me want to do the same, but with less of a bidget. That is why I bought a Dominator, it is already a truggy. For some serious sick air, only need to replace a couple of parts, and will only do that when the original breaks.
Old 11-03-2003, 02:52 PM
badboy2
My Feedback: (13)

Default RE: anyone know how to convert an 1/8th scale buggy to a monster truck or where to buy a conversion

with the money ur goin to spend to convert ud rather buy a truck ..that way u have 2
Old 11-03-2003, 02:56 PM
studysession

Default RE: anyone know how to convert an 1/8th scale buggy to a monster truck or where to buy a conversion

The converted Kyosho handles better on a track, but cost some serious bucks. When it si done right these things rock. Seen people replace the body mounts to put a truck body on as well.
Old 11-03-2003, 06:22 PM
dirtracer1

thanks all.
Old 11-03-2003, 07:28 PM
auto2

http://www.jtracingproducts.com/
Old 11-03-2003, 07:57 PM
TurbineInhaler

Exactly what are the buggies you can convert? This looks intresting.. A hybrid truggy... Lol that just cracks me up... Er.. .Sorry
Old 11-03-2003, 09:09 PM
auto2

muggen mbx4 xr is one. Pick up one on ebay for under 250 . get the kit for 170 . add in a set of tires and you have a race winning truck that can do everything except climb a rock wall LOL! Ah but no reverse.
BTW my friend came over sun with his $800 tmax and I raced him on the street with my mugen. I could almost drive around him in circles while he "raced" up the street.
Yea he could pop up the ft wheels and drive over the curb but I could jump higher and I didn't have to spend 30 minutes fixing it for every 10 driving.
Oh and the turning radius? not even worth comparing.
I was actually suprised how fast the mugen was on the street without a 2 speed.
I had a 14 t cluth bell on it.
Old 11-03-2003, 09:21 PM
TurbineInhaler

Thanks..
Old 11-03-2003, 09:33 PM
td_enterprise

The easiest way to do it right now is with the MUGEN XR or RR. I have been selling the conversion kits for a bit now and people are extatic with the performance they get. The Ofna kits are close behind, just waiting on gears I believe.
Old 11-03-2003, 09:45 PM
TurbineInhaler

whats your web sorry for going off topic well not really because its based on truggie conversions
Old 11-03-2003, 09:53 PM
td_enterprise

www.renegaderc.com
Old 11-04-2003, 11:51 AM
studysession

You can convert almost any buggy - Pick a buggy you like and just go with it.
Old 11-04-2003, 01:37 PM
miserynitro
My Feedback: (8)

well guys, on my Mugen buggy, i run a 13T bell all the time... and if i were to convert it... i could just put the tires and stuff on and away i go..... but, i like my buggy, and i have a savage with an 8 port ..... good enough for me for play and racing.
Old 11-05-2003, 07:01 AM
auto2

putting huge tires on your buggy without changing the spur gear would give you one hell ot a top speed.
but your bottom end would suck. may even burn up your clutch. the whole point of any of these conversions is the adapter so you can fit MT tires and a way to install a 60+ tooth spur where there was a 44 tooth.
Old 11-05-2003, 08:41 AM
ShOzz

so what all is included in the conversion kit?

does it work with an ultra mbx pro

i know ofna makes tires and wheels that fit.
Old 11-05-2003, 10:06 AM
td_enterprise

The kits we have are from JT and contain the following.

- MT3 offset rims, these fit any std t-maxx tire.
- Tall front shock tower so you can run long shocks in the front for better travel. New Rear included also.
- Spur gear 62t
- Spur gear adapter
- body post mounts, body posts not included
- Transmission standoffs to lift it up for clearance.
- New servo tray
- New tranny top plate
- Various hardware.

You cannot just take any buggy and throw t-maxx tires on it. There is a huge handling and performance difference when it is done right.
Old 11-05-2003, 08:00 PM
auto2

I can understand the performace reason, but how does the kit help( re non ruin) handling?
the is no suspension change.
Old 11-06-2003, 12:17 PM
studysession

You only change suspension, if you want more clearence, but if you are going for a truggy, leave the suspension alone.