Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

2WD or 4WD

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2003, 03:22 PM
tegwin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2WD or 4WD

I am just starting out with nitro trucks. I just want something to have some fun with, but it needs ground clearence to get over grass and mud etc... (oh and big jumps)

Is 2WD cheaper than 4WD??

Would i be stupid to buy a 2WD monster truck??

Thanks
Old 11-14-2003, 03:45 PM
dagass

Default RE: 2WD or 4WD

I wouldn't say that buying a 2WD monster truck is stupid. It will limit your ability to drive over certain things, but it really depends on your intended use. Yes it's cheaper and I'm sure a Sport-Maxx will jump every bit as well as a T-maxx but nothing beats a 4wd. They handle quite a bit better than a 2WD machine and again, they have the ability to go more places. If money is not a huge hurdle, then go 4wd, if it is, you can still have plenty of fun with a 2WD truck.
Old 11-14-2003, 03:45 PM
Addicted to Nitro

No it wouldn't be stupid at all to start out with a 2wd monster truck there still just as fun and can still get over alot of things but 4wd does make a big difference when u want to get over real big obsticles.
Old 11-14-2003, 03:58 PM
tegwin

HMMMM

I live next to some common land, It used to be a golf course so it has some huge ditches and banks. It also has grass from 2" tall up to 18", will a 2WD cope??

Are there any MTs that are 2WD and cheap that can be upgraded later to 4WD.

What is the best truck for my terain. I only have about £200 / $350, but even that is a stretch. However i do already have a radio set.
Old 11-14-2003, 04:18 PM
dagass

This might be worth looking at:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXDED3**&P=7

The Sport Maxx can be upgraded to a full T-maxx at a later date if you chose. I can tell you this, anything you buy will have problems with grass that is 18" tall.
Old 11-14-2003, 05:17 PM
tegwin

There does not appear to be much difference in the price between the sport max and the t-max. (about $50) its worth paying that litle bit extra for somehting good.

What is there available without a radio, because i already have one and dont realy want to waste my money on a new one.

(in the uk is better)
Old 11-14-2003, 06:20 PM
studysession

Try
http://www.moreleymodels.co.uk
or
http://www.modelsportuk.com

Or you can buy my used Hyper 7 PBS for 295 quid. Does not come with starter box. I am going to put it on Ebay after my new one sells. The 295 will be my reserve.
Old 11-14-2003, 11:28 PM
Isphius
My Feedback: (1)

2wd trucks are FUN. Nothing beats hanging the rear end way out around a turn, especially on rocks. And my blackfoot is suprising. It will go up curbs and other vertical walls, im not sure how exactly, but it does. The only thing that i noticed it really needs 4wd is the mud and snow. Otherwise it goes over everything. I think high ground clearance and 80% rear weight distribution can offset only having 2wd. But a 4wd is still lotsa fun too.
Old 11-15-2003, 03:01 AM
badboy2
My Feedback: (13)

get a savage w/bb21 theyre cheaper now or the ss thats on ur price range ..id rather go 4wd u can make it 2wd anyway without spending money while 2wd u need to spend money to make it 4wd
Old 11-15-2003, 09:57 AM
Isphius
My Feedback: (1)

yeah but a 2wd svagae would suck, it still has a lot of weight on the front end. Why would you do that?
Old 11-16-2003, 03:45 AM
WonderWheels

i've got the schumacher xt-r3e
nothing beats it on a track
!!!FUN!!!
Old 11-16-2003, 01:26 PM
crash_me_over
My Feedback: (16)

Hey All,

I don't mean to "start something" as I have been out of the off-road fun for some time now. To many projects going to be able to offer a real opinion....other than when I had my 2.5 TMaxx and loved driving it......I noticed in another post someone had offered another possible MT to look at whcih is the Cen Fun Factor MT2. It does appear to have some muscle and according to the review that I just read it sounds like a good value for the $$$. Here is the review that I found on it.

http://www.rcnitro.com/rn/articles/cenfunfactor.asp

If you do a search on www.google.com you can find it priced as low as $299.00 shipping not included. It could be a good choice for what the modeler is looking for.

Enjoy

CMO