Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Storm SUT Steering

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2004, 08:29 PM
Maxx-Crusher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Storm SUT Steering

I have a Storm SUT and whenever I give it full throttle it randomly pulls hard to either the left or the right - it is not consistent.

I have put in a stronger airtronics steering servo, put oil in the diffs -7 5 1, adjusted, toe in/out , camber, put ball bearings in the steering servo saver, changed tires. I am at a loss as what to try next.

Any thoughts. I have a friend who has also purchased one and his exhibits the same symptons.
Old 03-15-2004, 08:44 PM
BFT

Default RE: Storm SUT Steering

Add some toe out to both front tires.
Old 03-15-2004, 09:34 PM
ThermalRD

What???? If you are pulling to either side on throttle while going straight, you need toe IN. Most likely in the rear.

Matt
ORIGINAL: BFT

Add some toe out to both front tires.
Old 03-15-2004, 11:39 PM
fhm101

I'm afraid what's happening is not related to suspension set up at all. The only way we could get the SUT to settle down and pull straight was to run 100K diff oil in the center. Anything lighter than that and all the power wants to unload through the front diff, and as soon as one or the other front tire goes the least bit light, all the power goes to that side. We tried 60K center and that helped keep enough of the unloading down so that the front tires would grow at the same rate, but it still wanted to unload to the front. We are waiting for some 80K oil to see if that works, but until then we are running 7K F,100K C, and 1 or 3K R depending on available traction. If it's slick run 1K in the rear, if it's not run 3K.
Old 03-16-2004, 12:01 AM
ThermalRD

Thats really strange FHM. I've driven those SUT's, they seem really tight, and track a straight line really well. Are you using the stock motor?

Matt
Old 03-16-2004, 09:52 AM
Maxx-Crusher

Yes, I'm using stock motor.
Old 03-16-2004, 10:32 AM
fhm101

ORIGINAL: ThermalRD

Thats really strange FHM. I've driven those SUT's, they seem really tight, and track a straight line really well. Are you using the stock motor?

Matt
I have yet to drive an RTR SUT so I have no idea of what the RTR engine will do beyond watching them run. Everything I've had experience with has been Storm Pro buggies converted to a SUT. They all used the GS Pro SUT parts, but the Pro and RTR driveline/gearing are the same with the exception of the center and rear CVA's on the Pro versus the dogbones on the RTR which won't change the way the driveline unloads.
Oh and to answer your question regards using the stock engine, no, we are running 5 and 7 port Novarossi 21's and a couple of older OS 21's, an RZB and a V01.
Old 03-17-2004, 07:35 AM
Maxx-Crusher

OK, I couldn't find 100k so I put 120k in the center.

same problem.

Went from 7k to 15 k in the front.

same problem.

Tried more toe out.

same problem.

Tried more toe in.

same problem.

So, any other thoughts. 2 of these things do the exact same thing and nothing we've tried helps. Is this so called SUT "supertruck" just plain uncontrollable "supersuck"?
Old 03-17-2004, 10:27 AM
ThermalRD

Well, i dont know how familiar you guys are with racing setups, and 8th scale in particular. I can tell you this though, in my experience the trucks that track side to side on the straights under full throttle are usually because they have a spool in the rear, or some other diff locking device. I've driven an SUT, and didnt have the problem you are having. I can try to help you out with setup though. Heres what i would try. I would put a 3k front-15k center-1 or a 3k in the rear. I would have 1 1/2 -2 degrees of toe in up front, and 2-3 degrees of toe in at the rear. Camber, i would put 2 degrees rear, maybe 1 degree up front. On the suspension, i would keep the front a-arms level, while the rear make the bones level. That should leave the rear sagging slightly.

Matt
ORIGINAL: Maxx-Crusher

OK, I couldn't find 100k so I put 120k in the center.

same problem.

Went from 7k to 15 k in the front.

same problem.

Tried more toe out.

same problem.

Tried more toe in.

same problem.

So, any other thoughts. 2 of these things do the exact same thing and nothing we've tried helps. Is this so called SUT "supertruck" just plain uncontrollable "supersuck"?
Old 03-17-2004, 10:30 AM
ThermalRD

Another thing to check is metal binding, or rubbing. This can cause interference. Its really common for a glitch to cause the wheels to point to the right or left when something in the throttle linkage is rubbing. So turn all your radio equipment on, and pull your throttle a couple times while the truck is sitting there. Just to make sure nothing is binding causing a glitch.

Matt
Old 03-17-2004, 11:01 AM
fhm101

Two words: Throttle control.