Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

MAMMOTH OWNERS TIPS+TRICKS

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2004, 01:59 PM
MAMMOTH TOUGH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MAMMOTH OWNERS TIPS+TRICKS

Ok I am starting this thread for us Mammoth owners to share out tips+tricks and other houps
My Mammoth is only a week old and is Mostly stock I redid the shock towers cuz that is the only week part of the truck, I made it myself out of alum so i cant give a part number but they are strong as all heck, And if you fine ppl can help me thing of other mods for my mammoth please ring in and tell, I hope this thread helps alot of other ppl too!
Old 03-28-2004, 06:15 PM
MAMMOTH TOUGH

Default RE: MAMMOTH OWNERS TIPS+TRICKS

Ok I would also like to know where can i find gear sets for this truck?
Top speed is awsome it flys past anyother truck in my club IF the strait is long enuff
it is right beside a savage 25 in a drag and takes the obvious lead 1/2 way into first gear so i figure if i go with a 15 or 16 it will be a "WOW" truck (and a lil more roost is always cool)
Old 03-28-2004, 09:06 PM
nineonethree

Have you guys checked out this forum [link=http://globalservices.globalhobby.com/globalforum/viewforum.php?f=10]global hobby website[/link]? It is where I started, and there is a WEALTH of information there. Carbon fiber shock towers. Barnburner enterprises makes some aluminum battery/recevier boxes that look pretty sweet. Hobby People seem to be the biggest supplier of parts, the same list you can find on Global Hobby's website.

I am looking into some aluminum suspension arms from crazynutracing, should be my next big purchase for my Mammoth.

Share some of your experiences!

At first I was kind of disappointed, I spent so much time breaking in the mammoth, and all the stuff I had seen and heard about how durable they are. I bent shock towers and braces on the first tank after engine break-in. I was kind of mad, but after I cooled off, I did accept that these trucks are not indestructable, and I have to be more conscious of how I drive it. Jumping it and landing on the roof of the truck is bound to bend or break something! I am over my initial shock and have put another half gallon through it and am very pleased with its performance. I just need to learn a WHOLE lot more about fine tuning the engines.
Old 04-02-2004, 02:11 AM
MAMMOTH TOUGH

I am happy that some ppl are replying to this forum,
I have done major reserch on the mammoth b4 i picked it as my rig i know the towers are weak and the braces would bend at some point but my really good freind has a high end shop and i made some new parts with titanium a lil costly but same weight as the 5mm alum ones and way stronger. I have also done some adjustments to here the stock rear upper arms mount to the hubs seems to have a more uniform movement and more adjustability
i have not yet been able to do full throttle runs because i am doing a 6 tank break in
i have idled 1.5 and drive at 1/4 - 1/2 throttle in an oval 1/4 threw the turns and 1/2 on the strates for 4.5 tanks and ALWAYS shut down with the pistone at bottom of stroke doing this may add a gallon or two to the life of the engine, As far as tuning goes if it is 75 outside keep the temp between 200-250 and you will be fine so make an adjustment drive normally for 2 minutes (besure you see some white smoke!) then check temp, if it is low go a lil leaner like a 1/12 of a turn at a time or if it is too hot go richer. as far as the low end goes start with the low speed needle 8.5 turns from bottom and adjust from there to get a smooth transition between low and high speed (a lil hesitation is normal!) Well that is my 2 cents i hope it helps and give me some tips on what ever you find helps a MAMMY go better!
Old 04-16-2004, 09:36 PM
MAMMOTH TOUGH

Well I met the Guy from Barnburner and got some aluminium arms from him at a awsome price and looked at the rx box it is BILLET and SWEET!!!! i recomend them to everyone to check out!!!!!
Old 04-16-2004, 09:54 PM
Smokinjoe6450
My Feedback: (6)

Hey Mammoth Tough....how much for some of those shock towers? I want some replacements handy for when mine bend/break. Mine should be here MONDAY!!!!!. My friend that was looking into getting a Savage is going to get a Mammoth now also!!
Old 04-16-2004, 10:01 PM
Smokinjoe6450

I am also working on a track. I work for a County Recreation Department (Amherst, VA) and have FINALLY started construction. I have raked out the oval part with a tractor. (115' straits, 75' "short shoots") the middle will be off-road w/ jumps, tabletop. I have a guy coming tomorrow to chop up the remaining grass and I will round-up and put some more clay on top and pack. I can't wait to finish it!! I am hoping to get a team driver over here for the opening. This will be the first track in Virginia that is owned/run by a County Rec Dept.

The off-road part will consist of the fron straight and both short-shoots with the middle portion. The total driveline will be close to 700'.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57353.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	123106   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ie98407.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	123107  
Old 04-16-2004, 10:02 PM
MAMMOTH TOUGH

that is awsome that your freind is getting into it ...BUT sadly the ti towers are a one off it is way too expensive to make them after i did mine and a few other lil parts i hade to get a new BIT it was 220$ so until i get alot more cash it will be on hold
Old 04-16-2004, 10:06 PM
Smokinjoe6450

Old 04-16-2004, 10:21 PM
ThermalRD

Hey fellas, i got a question regarding the mammoth. What is the hex hub size? Seems i read they are NOT 14mm. Also, does XTM make a conversion to run 14mm hubs?

Thanks, Matt
Old 04-16-2004, 10:23 PM
MAMMOTH TOUGH

i know man and i am sorry about that but i didnt think about how much the bits would cost. It would cost about 130$ for 2 towers and to me that is just too much...But i believe that barnburner wil be producing shock towers but i dont know for sure!...if it is any consolation i will post some pics of my new barnburner arms for you too look at
Old 04-16-2004, 10:25 PM
MAMMOTH TOUGH

ORIGINAL: ThermalRD

Hey fellas, i got a question regarding the mammoth. What is the hex hub size? Seems i read they are NOT 14mm. Also, does XTM make a conversion to run 14mm hubs?

Thanks, Matt

Well they arnt any hex size cuz they arnt hex hubs but xtm makes the 14mm conversion kit so you can use savage/maxx wheels
Old 04-16-2004, 11:23 PM
ThermalRD

HEHEHE...That would explain why i didnt see any hex mentioned in the parts list. Thanks for the info.

Matt
ORIGINAL: MAMMOTH TOUGH

ORIGINAL: ThermalRD

Thanks, Matt

Well they arnt any hex size cuz they arnt hex hubs but xtm makes the 14mm conversion kit so you can use savage/maxx wheels
Old 04-17-2004, 01:26 AM
MAMMOTH TOUGH

do you like this?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bx72251.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	123155   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc93535.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	123156   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo30455.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	123157  
Old 04-17-2004, 10:11 AM
mrjon53
My Feedback: (3)

so does barnburner have a website? i did a search and didn't find one.

also i'm new to the nitro, and the mamoth is my first break in, i fallowed the manuals instructions, but found now that breakin is over after i run a tank and refill it takes me a bit to get it restarted(i have to let i cool i guess before it starts) i'm not 100% on my tuning yet. is there any pointers someone can give me?

thanks. jon
Old 04-17-2004, 10:21 AM
MAMMOTH TOUGH

hmm...is your lsn set right you may be too lean down low and that will cause a hard start problem also being too rich will do it
is your lsn close to flush with the end of the slide on my truck it is and i run the low end a lil rich but it starts super easy when warm and also check your plug breakin is hard on them. let me know how you make out!
Old 04-17-2004, 01:35 PM
xtm

Hi everyone got myself a mammoth too I am very impressed with the way thing handles too but like everytruck it needs work best thing I hav done since I hav gotten mine was bracing the shock towers I used alum 1/2 solid rod and braced the truck . I seen it done on the global forums doing this lets me get away with upgrading the shock towers and braces which will help prevent bending the chassis as well (bent that already) . 1 other mod I did was went to a alum clutch and 1.1 silver springs seems to help too because xtm s first shoes burnt but they hav fixed this and there is a updated version of shoes and spring set now but all in all great truck

my bracing

my monster gt body hummer on the mam

good to c some peeps with mammoths here
Old 04-17-2004, 02:53 PM
mrjon53
My Feedback: (3)

thanks mamoth tuff, finally got it running
Old 04-17-2004, 08:12 PM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the mammoth isn't even a monster truck..its fragile and isn't as fast as you guys think....the best thing going for the mammoth is the xtm 24/7 motor... its geared way too tall and has no acceleration...my savage wastes mammoths pretty good...i have a 24/7 pro in my savage and side by side with the mammoth my savage pulls away pretty hard...the mammoth only comes alive at 30 mph ...anyways i like the mammoth and i'm just stirring ****, i think its a great racer but poor basher....i live in winnipeg as well and would love to run against ya(not on a track though) but i have a mathoth i care for as well as a few savages...i think the mammoth needs some deeper gears to up the wow factor..or i would like to bolt my 24/7 pro into it and see what its like apparently the pro can wheelie a mammoth..my pro rolls my savage effortlessly onto its lid....on a track the mammoth will shine especially if some lightweight goodies come out.
Old 04-17-2004, 08:37 PM
MAMMOTH TOUGH

Thank-you for your opinion i know we all have our own but i do agree that out of the box a mammoth is not the best basher but with a few inexpesive mods it will rival a savage for bash durability! I have said in another post that if you want to bash get a savage if you want to race get a mammoth i like both for difrent reasons but the reasons i had for getting a truck where filled by the Mammoth!
Old 04-17-2004, 08:55 PM
xtm

not to much can keep up with a savage when it comes to big jumping and plain old hardcore bashing but dont get down on the mammoth just yet sure it is geared tall xtm is already working on lower gearing due in a month or two and with some modding the truck will be more forgiving in the bashing area.. but until u get on a track and lay into some other savages and buggies u wouldnt believe how stable and fast this truck can be sure maybe in a tight as hell track it wont shine but on some bigger layed out tracks this thing smokes..
Old 04-17-2004, 08:59 PM
MAMMOTH TOUGH

yup i agree...but back to the tips & tricks part....Always check your O rings on hsn and lsn for cracks and wear may just save your engine and LOCKTITE!!!!!!
Old 04-18-2004, 01:25 AM
supertib

yes i had to change the o-rings on the LSN...yes the mammoth is stable...big time stable...but it isn't in the same class as the savage....not that its bad its a hybrid racer the savage is a bashing monster truck.....anyways the XTM mills are among the best out there..i laugh at guys who dis the motor without seeing them run...brfore i put the 24/7 pro into my sav it was a dog...the weakest point of a savage 25 is the dam crap motor....the 24/7 series is so much better its funny...my savage can out run a sirio 18 t-maxx and my buddys 24/7 t-maxx is the fastest monster i have seen.....will destroy a Mammoth top to bottom(lightwieght and big motor)
Old 04-18-2004, 10:20 AM
xtm

There is always someone with a truck that is better and faster it is all about preferance I am not downing a savage I hav 1 but not 1 truck is the best that is for sure
Old 04-18-2004, 11:04 AM
supertib

yes i agree no truck is better at everything....though its fun comparing them, i think the mammoth has the best rtr engine of any monster bar none.....best handling...strangest looks(hate yellow/blue/red body sorry but if they made it cooler looking more would be sold) fastest top speed, lowest clearence, hard to tune 2 speed...my savage is fast but doesnt corner very sharp

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.