Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

Has anybody ran the RB .28 Thunder Monster?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Has anybody ran the RB .28 Thunder Monster?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2004, 06:28 PM
MUDSHED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anybody ran the RB .28 Thunder Monster?

The RB Concept .28 Thunder Monster PART#TM728

If so, please give us reviews on this engine. What truck are you running it in? Comparison to other engines you ran? Etc.

My buggy buddies swear up and down that the RB engines are by far the best racing engines. Just want to know if the $300+++ engine is worth getting.
Old 07-23-2004, 10:06 PM
binaryterror

Default RE: Has anybody ran the RB .28 Thunder Monster?

Well here goes. I own the TM728 from RB and its a great engine. I run it in my Mammoth.

I broke the pullstart on the 3rd tank of break in (tip: crack the glow plug a little and heat the block to prevent this. Tighten glow plug once it starts).

Major power on the low end...killed my XTM slider clutch in 2 tanks of break in, now running aluminum shoes.

Easy to tune, plenty of power. BUT this is not a race buggy engine. It was designed to be a MT engine. It has tons of torque and low end pull, but it is not a top end power machine. The powerband though is like an electric motor, just pulls to high rpms so clean.

If you want more I'd get an RB WS7II, which is more top end and good low and mid. But the .28 is all about low end power and a smooth powerband.

If i could do it all again, I'd probably get a starter box and the WS7II...but I am more than pleased with the TM728.
Old 07-24-2004, 08:08 AM
ronz
My Feedback: (1)

I've never run the RB28 but I have been running my RB WS7II for 2 race seasons now. I have put it in all my trucks and I use no other. From my savage to my MGT and now my LST. Everyone was saying why would I take out my MAch26 for the RB. Well once they saw my LST go with the RB they knew the answer. The WS7II is a scream machine. I can keep up no prob with the 1/8 buggies at our track down the straights. Around the corners is another thing though. From what I hear RB will be coming out with a race tuned version of the RB28. When that one comes out I am sure it will also be a top end screamer. As it is the 28 is pretty impressive any ways. If you decide to go with either RB I think you would be very happy. It is true though they are probably one of the best engines out there. I have gone through a few engines, Picco 26, Wasp 26 and Sirio 27. None of them compare in tunability to my RB. Not a single flame out in that time with my RB. I also run an RB plug and it lasts me forever, months. I just replaced my plug from last year and not cause it wasnt working anymore. I was just being safe since it was the A main of a big trophy race last weekend.

Didnt mean to leave a big novel, hope it helps
Old 07-24-2004, 09:48 AM
slodsm

I have not run the .28, but I have owned 3 RB motors and ronz is right, you will never ever have to worry about that motor, it just runs. Some of the guys on the SM forums are getting them for the supermaxxes, I will let you know what they say but RB concepts does not put out a bad product period.
Old 07-24-2004, 10:05 AM
ronz

I also forgot to mention that I have 8 gallons through my RB too. Another friend at the track is running a RB C5 in his buggy with 15 gallons through it. So I guess you could say that you treat them well and they will last a long time
Old 07-24-2004, 11:21 AM
MUDSHED

Yeah, the guys that I know that run with RB's say you really get what you pay for. They are more expensive than others,but they are truley worth the extra costs. I have not heard one thing bad about RB engines. The other brands, I hear other. I am really thinking about just getting the S7-2. Thanks for the info guys!
Old 07-24-2004, 11:30 AM
MUDSHED

ORIGINAL: ronz

I've never run the RB28 but I have been running my RB WS7II for 2 race seasons now. I have put it in all my trucks and I use no other. From my savage to my MGT and now my LST. Everyone was saying why would I take out my MAch26 for the RB. Well once they saw my LST go with the RB they knew the answer. The WS7II is a scream machine.
Hey ronz,

Just wondering how you start your engines in your LST? Do the S7's come with pullstarts? Or can you hook up a losi spin starter or rotostart back plate?
Old 07-25-2004, 08:50 AM
Bruno

Hey ronz, did you buy that engine in Canada? If so, how much and where did you get it? Also what pipe are you running it with?

Tks,
Bruno

I've never run the RB28 but I have been running my RB WS7II for 2 race seasons now. I have put it in all my trucks and I use no other. From my savage to my MGT and now my LST. Everyone was saying why would I take out my MAch26 for the RB. Well once they saw my LST go with the RB they knew the answer. The WS7II is a scream machine. I can keep up no prob with the 1/8 buggies at our track down the straights. Around the corners is another thing though. From what I hear RB will be coming out with a race tuned version of the RB28. When that one comes out I am sure it will also be a top end screamer. As it is the 28 is pretty impressive any ways. If you decide to go with either RB I think you would be very happy. It is true though they are probably one of the best engines out there. I have gone through a few engines, Picco 26, Wasp 26 and Sirio 27. None of them compare in tunability to my RB. Not a single flame out in that time with my RB. I also run an RB plug and it lasts me forever, months. I just replaced my plug from last year and not cause it wasnt working anymore. I was just being safe since it was the A main of a big trophy race last weekend.

Didnt mean to leave a big novel, hope it helps
Old 07-29-2004, 01:08 AM
johnsonswamp

ORIGINAL: MUDSHED

I've never run the RB28 but I have been running my RB WS7II for 2 race seasons now. I have put it in all my trucks and I use no other. From my savage to my MGT and now my LST. Everyone was saying why would I take out my MAch26 for the RB. Well once they saw my LST go with the RB they knew the answer. The WS7II is a scream machine.
Hey ronz,

Just wondering how you start your engines in your LST? Do the S7's come with pullstarts? Or can you hook up a losi spin starter or rotostart back plate?
i would like to know too