Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

First time on the track with a Brand new TNX.....enjoy....

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

First time on the track with a Brand new TNX.....enjoy....

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2004, 12:22 AM
Noreaga

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First time on the track with a Brand new TNX.....enjoy....

Ok, here is the video I said I was gonna post in my TNX review thread....
I was a little shaky at first, but towards the end you can see how my TNX skills improved....You can also see how much power the OS 18 really has in her....quite a few times I closed gaps really quick.....
Enjoy...
Click here!
Old 10-01-2004, 12:46 AM
Mxracer45

Default RE: First time on the track with a Brand new TNX.....enjoy....

Sweet vid man! Music go's well : )
Old 10-01-2004, 01:28 AM
poor judgement

Good to see one on the track - it looks as if u had visibility probs on the track as it seems a little cluttered and tight around there. the truck sure jumps nice tho, and no lack of speed, just needed to string a couple of good laps together.

im sure as u get used to it things will "flow" more and the laps will come. the throttle appears to be an on/off switch - is that the way its setup or is it ur style of drivin, or just the fact its a brand new truck?!?

keep us posted with vids as u master the truck, that would make interestin watchin - seein it move up thru the ranks i mean.

good stuff!!
Old 10-01-2004, 02:35 AM
Noreaga

Not really sure why you think I had visibility probs.....the track is tight, and can be cluttered at times depending on how many rigs are on at once. But I had no probs seeing it at all....I was squirrely because I am not used to the handeling of the truck...but like you said....all I need is some time and a few more races under my belt with the TNX.....Your also right in saying that the truck jumps nice, and has no lack of speed. As for the throttle appearing to be a on/off switch, that is just the power that motor makes. Dont forget, this truck weighs in at just barely 9 lbs. It is very light with alot of power, one of the best power to weight ratios I've seen in a RTR monster truck....I did manage to put her in the A-Mains that day, but just barely....what I mean by that is 1 sec...lol I was just 1 sec faster then the B-main TQ.....So that is what bumped me into the A's.....I call it luck....but hey....first time racing the TNX and putting her in the A-main....I still think that is pretty good......Hell it took me 3 races to put my LST in the A-Mains......
anyway.....glad you enjoyed the vid....
An I'm pretty sure I'll have a few more in the works in the near future....[8D]
Old 10-01-2004, 08:08 AM
poor judgement

i am keepin an eye on this truck as i have a (actually quite nice now) nasty cen rally witha 18cvrx in it, on a jtracing lightweight chassis and that weighs around 6 pounds, with 2.2" wheels - its a bit hectic on the loose stuff- i mainly use it on a very large gravel carpark and i love the way mine drives...just waitin for the long term reports on the tnx, i may well get one then if i can get bits ok in the uk.

regards to the on/off throttle comment, my car was like that initially, but i worked round it by messin with the throttle servo linkage, it opens quite slowly now til about 2/3 - 3/4 then the slightest bit more throttle opens it right up. still got the ****ty standard radio.. so was only way to do it. Im not sayin yours is setup wrong - might just be worth a fiddle as i kept loosin the back of mine exiting turns through the sudden blast of power, now i know that i will only loose too much traction if i pin the throttle wide open. still gotta drive real sensitively tho, i only need the steering on the way into a turn - the throttle controls the angle for the rest of it

the 18cvr is a torque animal - if i got the tnx i would swap the engines round i reckon, although the tnx standard os is not a lot different from mine so ive heard

as for the vision thing, lol, guess thats that bloody 18 goin where it wants!!

all the best for future races!!
Old 10-01-2004, 12:52 PM
Nitro MT

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice job Noreaga! I enjoyed your LST video as well. Keep us up to date on how the TNX is holding up. It seems to get great reviews except for the shocks and stock tires.
Old 10-01-2004, 01:28 PM
tamiya08
My Feedback: (10)

what you qualify and what you place? i also would like to kno how you keep the tnx from flooding, could you give me some tips?
Old 10-01-2004, 02:05 PM
ktnr

What mods have you done before racing?
Old 10-01-2004, 02:24 PM
Q8 RC

hey guys wut is better the TNX or the revo stockVSstock and can the TNX put on the proline wheels and tires thanx

Bader

KUWAIT
Old 10-01-2004, 02:36 PM
Noreaga

ORIGINAL: Nitro MT

Nice job Noreaga! I enjoyed your LST video as well. Keep us up to date on how the TNX is holding up. It seems to get great reviews except for the shocks and stock tires.
Yup, that was the first 2 things I changed before I even raced it.....I'm running the Pro-line Power Strokes, and Velocity dish rims with some bowties mounted on them...

ORIGINAL: tamiyakid08
what you qualify and what you place? i also would like to kno how you keep the tnx from flooding, could you give me some tips?
I qualified last for the A-main, I thought that was pretty good for my first time on the track with this truck....

ORIGINAL: ktnr
What mods have you done before racing?
Only thing I have done to the truck before racing it was, put in a synth receiver, 1100 mah receiver pack, Pro-line Power stroke Shocks, and velocity dish rims with bowties...

ORIGINAL: Q8 RC
hey guys wut is better the TNX or the revo stockVSstock and can the TNX put on the proline wheels and tires thanx
Bader
KUWAIT
I'm not gonna say if the TNX is better then the Revo or not, cause that might start a flame war.....besides, I don't have my own Revo, nor have I driven one......but, yes....proline wheels will fit on the TNX
Old 10-01-2004, 02:52 PM
tamiya08
My Feedback: (10)

here these arent proline but there hpi q6

also, i need tips on keeping my engine from flooding.
dont forget theres a tnx subforum
what were you racing agianst?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pm34939.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	178541  
Old 10-01-2004, 03:38 PM
Muswagon

Hey man,

If you want my input here it goes, if not, just ignore

My TNX setup-

-Velocity dish wheels with Orion Dominator tires (similar to bowties), and the same rims with mulchers on the loamy track I run on

-Stock steering servo used for throttle/brake

-Airtronics 94358 steering servo

-1400 receiver pack

-HPI rotostart (must use HPI oneway)

-Homemade brace under the spur (between the plastic rails) to prevent spur stripping)

-Battery box moved to the very front of the chassis, in front of the radio box, MORE STEERING!

-Traction looks good on you track, you can get away with some neutral toe on the rear, and some serious toe out in front for some of those tight turns you have.

-Lowered ride height AND downtravel (proper springs,

The last one is the most important I noticed from your video. Your truck sits way too high, and even if you put lighter springs, you would have too much downtravel which would give you excessive body roll. I used fuel tubing to limit the travel in all 8 shocks (to what I could get away with on my track, each track is different). For springs, I went with red losi springs on two shocks front and rear, and stock springs (cut slightly) for the other two shocks front and rear. I went with 60WT oil all around. This has given me a great ride height (bones level front, just below rear), and limited downtravel so it wont body roll through turns. The only reason this needs to be done is because the TNX does not have any options for mounting the shocks, just one place on both the shock towers and the a-arms.

To give you an idea of how much this improved my lap times. The first two race days with the stock suspension setup, I did 12 laps in 6:24. The next weekend with the suspension change I did 14 laps in 6:08, I missed 15 laps by just a tick. Trust me, it will do wonders.

Overall, considering you are just starting out racing, that was some great driving man!

Now, here are some things to keep your eyes on with your TNX;

-Spur gear as mentioned, you can go to www.terracrusher.net to see how that brace is done, it is worth the $1.00 for the aluminum tube and .50 cents for the screws.

-Put a proper zip tie on the airfilter, trust me!

-The drive cups on the center driveline wear out quick, there must be a way to use a better system or even buggy universals (havnt tried yet)

-The rear plastic diff cups stretch, and eventually break. I have a million left over from my Terra Crusher "value pack", but, you need to check them every race.

-Put locktight on the screws that go into metal AND plastic. The famous Tamiya backing out screw problem that plagued my Monster Beetle (1987) is still around today. The ones that screw the bulkhead to the chassis are the worst, but they all come loose.

If I can think of more stuff I will let you know. I just sold mine, but I am thinking of a new one this spring, which will be built up before a drop of fuel goes through it.
Old 10-01-2004, 03:42 PM
Noreaga

ORIGINAL: tamiyakid08
here these arent proline but there hpi q6
also, i need tips on keeping my engine from flooding.
dont forget theres a tnx subforum
what were you racing agianst?
Any 14 mm hex will work on the TNX. That is the Max standard, so all T-Maxx and Savage rims will work.
What do you mean by flooding? It could be flooding for many different reasons....you could be over priming it, you can be running it to rich....you might need a new glow plug....

I know about the TNX subforum...I got a few posts in there as well....

I was racing against other TNX's, Revos, stock T-Maxx....pretty much anything in the stock T-maxx class. (.18 an smaller size motors)
Old 10-01-2004, 03:44 PM
Muswagon

edit
Old 10-01-2004, 03:51 PM
Noreaga

ORIGINAL: TNX

Overall, considering you are just starting out racing, that was some great driving man!
I've been racing for qite some time now....but thanks for the complement on my driving....That was my first time racing the TNX, but far from my start on the racing scene....
Old 10-01-2004, 04:31 PM
binaryterror

Noreaga: Great job for being a first time at the track with a new truck...some more settings (especially suspension) you'd probably be doing much better.

I also notice the stock gearing might need to go a wee bit higher for more corner accel as you got mad speed.
Old 10-01-2004, 04:38 PM
Noreaga

ORIGINAL: binaryterror

Noreaga: Great job for being a first time at the track with a new truck...some more settings (especially suspension) you'd probably be doing much better.

I also notice the stock gearing might need to go a wee bit higher for more corner accel as you got mad speed.
Thanx....I'm already looking for some gearing to beef up my punch, an take out some of the top speed....I have to play with the shocks a bit more, they are the Pro-line Power strokes and they have coil-overs so I can adjust how hard or soft the springs are. Its just a matter of playing with it....
Old 10-02-2004, 09:14 AM
Muswagon

You change to a Terra Crusher 16T bell, and use the TNX 44T spur that is at Tower, best part is no modifications for that combo. I tried the PowerStrokes on a tight track like yours, and even with lighter prmiary prings (ride height), they are much too long without using some type of internal limiter to get rid of some downtravel. Even with the right amount of ride height/lighter springs, your body roll through the corners will scrub huge speed. Trust me.
Old 10-02-2004, 09:18 AM
Muswagon

Here is from the first race

Forget it, it wont let me post that picture!
Old 10-02-2004, 11:58 AM
infernoMP

I just got a Traxxas Revo about 2 weeks ago and I love it. I dont know much about monster truck racing because I dont really have any tracks around here to race on. I was wondering if the Revo and LST are ran in the same class as the TNX or if there's just one class called "monster truck". What do you think of your TNX vs. LST?
Old 10-02-2004, 02:54 PM
Noreaga

ORIGINAL: infernoMP

I just got a Traxxas Revo about 2 weeks ago and I love it. I dont know much about monster truck racing because I dont really have any tracks around here to race on. I was wondering if the Revo and LST are ran in the same class as the TNX or if there's just one class called "monster truck". What do you think of your TNX vs. LST?
Class depends on what size motor you are running in your rig. Most tracks have some kind of a system to determine what class its gonna be in, unless the track goes by R.O.A.R regulations. At my local track there are 2 monster truck classes. The first is called "Stock T-Maxx" the only requirement in that class is to have a .18 or smaller motor. So it does not matter what rig you have, just the size of the motor. I mostly see, TNX's, Revo's, T-Maxx's......This is the class I race my TNX in. Then there is the Outlaw Monster Truck class, you can run any motor .21 or bigger in it. I race my LST in this class, common trucks in this class are, MGT's, LST's, .21 converted T-Maxx, Truggie's, and Savage's....If you or someone else had a Revo with a .21 or bigger in it....then that too would be in the Outlaw class....An the same goes for the TNX. It just depends on what motor your running....

My TNX vs. my LST.....I never really thought about that....Both trucks are very different animals....handle very different from each other....I have only had 1 race with the TNX so I think its still to early for me to tell because I do not have it set up where I can feel comfy with it....Driving it on the track is still new for me and I can only get better with in in time and more races...Right now she feels very squirrely to me....like its over powered because I have to really focus on throttle controll...too much throttle and she is just everywhere........With my LST, I can pretty much run around the track at will....I have a few more races with the LST so I have had time to make running changes to help better its set up.....
I like both trucks and dont think I could choose one over the other....So I just got them both....
Old 10-04-2004, 12:16 AM
tattootigg

hi all,just like to let everyone know that i just got a new tnx friday.i took it to the local hobby shop to show it off a little and ran into randy(the announcer at the local track).they were racing the monster truck class friday night.no one had seen a tnx on the track yet so i decided to take it out.so i broke it in that afternoon then off to the track.i gotta say that alot of racers dismissed the tnx as nothing but a toy,but after running a few heats and races alot of the regulars were wanting one.the tnx really took one hell of a serious beating(i didnt know the track at all and it was a brand new truck) so i was pretty much all over the track.it was a pretty tight track but on the straights,nothing could touch the tnx at all.the guy next to me had a revo and made the comment that he just couldnt keep up with the big blocks on the track.i let him know that the tnx had a .18 and kind of chuckled th my self at the look on his face.the other guys at the track couldnt believe the light weight of the tnx as well as the raw power.not a whole lot of people have seen a monster truck pull a wheelie all the way down the straight away.if you do not own a tnx,get one,you will not be dissapointed!!!!it is by far the fastest thing out there that i know of,handles great(in the air as well as on the ground)this thing is awesome!!!! especially for the price!!!!!!! i own a modified gs storm,rustler,hpi rs4 and now prob my fav,the tnx.and by the way,it is fully upgradeable to an all aluminum monster thanks to new era parts.