Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

E-Maxx questions...(sort of long)

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

E-Maxx questions...(sort of long)

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2004, 06:19 PM
Alex-C

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E-Maxx questions...(sort of long)

Hey all, I am pretty new to the RC scene. I have (like most children) had my share of "lower class" RC cars but now I want to move up a few notches. I've been looking at reviews/reading forums and such and considering all things I have decided to get an E-Maxx.

The general opinion shows that towerhobbies is a good place to get rc things, with good prices and it is also a trusted site. Well they are offering a deal...here is the url: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bi...61p?&I=LZ0014** the deal offers a something like 30 bucks saved. Now my question is are the batteries and charger offered in the deal even worth it? Would I be satisfied with the batteries offered? If I would be, how long would I be happy with them before wanting more?Would I be better off buying the E-Maxx and batteries seperate (as in aside from the deal). Or should I go with the deal they offer? If you think I should get different batteries (which I most likely should) what ones? Post a link if you feel like it.
Another question I have is that I heard that E-Maxx's are extremely touchy around water. I am not planning on running my truck through any water on purpose (obviously). But I am wondering is the E-Maxx more sensative to water than other trucks in its class? The E-Maxx seems like an awesome truck but that made me kind of worried. I live in southern Maine so there is snow and the like here. One of my friends has an E-Maxx and he just puts a plastic bag type thing around his truck then puts the body on and it works fine. So I just want to know if the E-Maxx worse around water than other trucks? Sorry if this is kind of redundant...

Sorry for the length...just trying to get it all out at once.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 12-02-2004, 06:35 PM
camra88

Default RE: E-Maxx questions...(sort of long)

If you want speed and power, get seperate, high quality battery packs. i recommend GP3300 7-cells. And yes, if even a drop of water gets into the emaxxs ESC (electronic speed control), most likely it will go up in a huge ball of smoke, and lots of stinkyness [:'(]

So your not supposed to drive it in the snow or in water. Well, if you want to drive it in snow, not a problem. Pick up some of those Saran Quick Covers, and use the Large one to cover the chassis. Check it out:

http://monster.traxxas.com/showthrea...hreadid=257169

Note: I've seen a video of a guy driving his emaxx thru 6-inch + mud with no problems using the saran quick cover. Simply amazing! Just be careful when using them, since the electronics cant cool off.
Old 12-02-2004, 06:35 PM
ScMc

Hey man what part of Maine are u in? Im up in the mid coast region.

About your questions...

The batterys and charger that come in that package (even though the link doesnt work, im assuming they're duratrax) are junk. You will certainly not be satisfied with those. In fact, a good way to purchase an E-maxx would be to save up 300 to 400 dollars and buy a good charger (or two since it requires two batterys at once) and six good batteries(two charging, two running, two cooling=endless cycle of runtime). The most common thing people do is buy an E-maxx, get two duratrax piranha 1500 batteries and a piranha peak charger. They end up being discouraged and might even end up getting out of the hobby (i've seen it happen before). So, my advice to you is to save your money, get a nice charger or two chargers if running after 45 minutes of waiting instead of 1 and a half hours means anything to you, and get six good 2400 to 3000 nimh batteries. DO NOT GET NICD batteries unless you are racing, they require discharging after every run which costs even more money and it really is no fun, you will probably ruin your batteries if you get Nicads. Nickel Metal Hydryde batteries are much more forgiving since they dont develop cell memory.

About the water issue, basically any electric rc will get screwed up if you run it in water with no protection. The e-maxx is about as safe as any electric in snow or wetness. My advice here it to try not to run it in wet conditions, simple as that. If you have to though, i would either do the plastic bag thing or get two shower caps and wrap around both ways or something like that. Wd-40 helps keep water away as well. Hope this helped.
Old 12-02-2004, 06:52 PM
Alex-C

Thanks for the advice guys. Any specific brand of battery that is good or has a strong reputation?
Old 12-02-2004, 07:42 PM
ScMc

Go to [link=http://www.ballisticbatteries.com]Ballistic Batteries[/link]. Any of their 2400 to 3000 or higher NIMH batteries are worth looking at. They are a little pricey but you get what you pay for.

Where are you located in Maine Alex-C?
Old 12-02-2004, 07:48 PM
Alex-C

I'm located about 35 minutes from Portland. 10 minutes or so from Wells. North Berwick to be exact. I go to Noble. 8 time state wrestling champs...we've won 6 in a row revvin for 7 this year haha. But yea...where do you live? Do you know the area im talking about?
Old 12-02-2004, 07:58 PM
ScMc

Well... not really, lol. I live In waldoboro, its 20 minutes away from Rockland and Camden, about 30-40 minutes away from augusta. Know where im tlaking about?
Old 12-02-2004, 09:09 PM
Evader 53

So you guys live about 2 hours 3 minutes driving time apart

[link=http://www.mapquest.com/directions/main.adp?go=1&do=nw&un=m&2tabval=address&cl=EN&ct=NA&1tabval=address&1y=US&1a=&1c=North+Berwick&1s=ME&1z=&1ah=&2y=US&2a=&2c=waldoboro&2s=ME&2z=&2ah=&idx=0&id=41afca99-00297-015d5-cdbcf393&aid=41afca99-00298-015d5-cdbcf393]Map Quest[/link]
Old 12-02-2004, 09:40 PM
ScMc

Hmm, I live in Jefferson Street so just cut out the last two directions. Thanks for the map Evader, Looks like its a pretty straight shot down the coast. When i get my TNX running this spring maybe we can hang out... no one runs rc around here