Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Radio upgrade for TNX ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2004, 10:34 PM
Ramirez24

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio upgrade for TNX ?

Do I have to go with new servos if I go with a different radio trasmitter. The TNX already has a decent steering servo. I want to go with a New FM radio transmitter. Any suggestions on what would be a good set up for the TNX.
Old 12-10-2004, 10:44 PM
ScMc

Default RE: Radio upgrade for TNX ?

You are going to need a 3 channel FM radio, such as [link=http://this]http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXGAG2**&P=ML[/link] Futaba Model. I wouldnt reccomend FM unless you have money to throw around or you are racing. Its not really neccesary otherwise. Anyways, Stock servos will work great with that model, as the servos are futaba as well. Hope I helped. ScMc
Old 12-10-2004, 11:18 PM
Ramirez24

Thanks for the info, that link is not working for me ? What is part# at Tower for this radio.
Old 12-10-2004, 11:27 PM
Ramirez24

I found the radio transmitter with no servos at Tower. As far as the truck, Can you walk me through what I need to do there. Is it just a matter of mounting the new transmitter, will my stock servos plug right in ?
Old 12-11-2004, 01:11 AM
ScMc

That fm radio comes with just a receiver (and maybe one of those things that holds four aa batteries) im pretty sure so all you will need to do is unscrew the reciever box (notice:its the one that you unscrew, not the one with eclips) unplug the 2servos and the plug that goes to the on-off switch, tug on the stock receiver with all your might (its held on with some kinda sticky crap) throw that in the rubbish unless u want to sell it or something, Put the new fm receiver in place of the old one and secure it with some Double sided tape (suggested), thread the antenna wire through to antenna tube, plug in your servos and your battery plug... That should be it... Then just test the radio to see if everythings working right. I dont even bother with FM radios though, I have plenty of money for one its just i dont care for all the tuning options... Id rather stick to a trusty Futaba 2pl, nice AM computer radio that I can't get confused on Hope I helped ya. Read the description of that futabe radio before u buy it and if u see anything u'r unsure about, ask a question and one of us will answer it. Hope I helped. ScMc
Old 12-11-2004, 02:10 AM
ScMc

[link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXGAG2**&P=ML]This should work...[/link]
Old 12-11-2004, 05:44 AM
Ramirez24

Thanks, You have been a big help.
Old 12-11-2004, 09:02 AM
Razoo
My Feedback: (2)

Heres the one I use:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXENN3**&P=7
It works great, and I highly recommend it just remember usually FM receivers are more expensive than AM. Just take out the old receiver and put in the new one every thing just plugs right in. While your at it put in a failsafe if you don't already have one.
You don't need a 3 channel. The TNX doesn't have reverse!
Old 12-11-2004, 09:11 AM
ScMc

Razoo is right, A failsafe would be a good idea if you're using an FM radio or an AM radio. This plugs into your throttle servo, and plugs into your receiver, connecting the circuit. If you get a glitch or interference or lose total control, the failsafe will return the throttle servo to whatever you set it at, whether its full brakes, or just a neutral setting. It really is a great investment. Although [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXHUH6&P=7]this[/link] failsafe doesnt have a picture in the description, it would be my first choice.
Old 12-11-2004, 03:36 PM
Will239

you can get the futaba 3pm wih no servos for $100 on ebay
Old 12-11-2004, 07:47 PM
Ramirez24

How do you like the ABS feature on the radio ? Does it work pretty good ? With the LCD screen, how long do batteries last
Old 12-12-2004, 09:23 AM
Razoo

I really like the ABS feature, I think all radios should have it. I use rechargeable NiMh AA batteries in the radio. They will last quite a long time, of course it depends on how much you use it. theres a low battery indicator in the radio that will let you know when its time to replace/recharge thr batteries. Hope this helped.
Old 12-13-2004, 09:07 PM
Ramirez24

I have narrowed it down between the Futaba 3pm or 3pm-tfs. Another installation question. Can I use the stock TNX battery holder, Do I need to also install an on/off switch for the power to receiver or can I use stock set-up. Reason I am asking is I don't think the 3pm-fs comes with the 4-cell battery holder or power switch connection. If needed I will have to order this seperarate.
Old 12-14-2004, 02:53 PM
Razoo

Yes you can use the stock receiver pack, the radio has nothing to do with it. All you have to do is switch receivers. You might want to consider getting a 5 cell hump pack sometime in the future, but for now just get the radio and switch out receivers.
Old 12-14-2004, 04:16 PM
Ramirez24

Thanks Razoo. I have ordered the Futaba 3pm-tfs from tower. I plan on doing some racing, thats why I went with the FM.
Old 12-14-2004, 05:48 PM
Razoo

Good choice, I use one for my pan car and TC. That is a synthasized radio, meaning that the radio is crystal less. It comes with a R133F receiver that has a crystal. futaba doesn't yet make a synthasized receiver but when they do you can get one and never have to buy another crystal! In the meantime using the R133F you just need to buy 1 short futaba receiver crystal if you need to change channels. I use the 2PL on all my nitro stuff, AM 75mhz, I've used it for racing and never had a problem but you should be very happy with the 3PM. Any problems let us know and we'll help ya out.