Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

savage tracks like tyco fast traxx

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

savage tracks like tyco fast traxx

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2005, 01:59 AM
cleffdawg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default savage tracks like tyco fast traxx

I was just wondering if anyone knows of someone who has tried to put full tracks on a savage or other monster truck. I used to, as a kid have a fast traxx and loved it and wish i still had one. Having trouble finding one i would like to make on from my savage. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanx.
Old 01-18-2005, 08:16 AM
DarkSavageX

Default RE: savage tracks like tyco fast traxx

you can buy the tracks from that radio shack truck. people have done that
Old 01-18-2005, 01:58 PM
cleffdawg

yeah, i saw that but i don't really like that design, i would like a full track like a tank but the steering is what throws me. i want to try it but finding a track wide enough seems to be a problem
Old 01-19-2005, 03:23 PM
Tnx_4_life

well the steering would be a BIG challenge. uw ould have to make a truck that can make the left and right hand side of the truck rotate at different speeds. other steering would be inpossible.
Old 01-19-2005, 07:11 PM
EMaxxer05

Forgive me for shooting you down here, but what exactly would be the point of that ?
Old 01-20-2005, 03:11 AM
Tnx_4_life

building something different? or just for fun i guess "coz thats whats its all about"
Old 01-20-2005, 03:12 AM
cleffdawg

Pretty much not point to it really. I used to have a fast traxx and loved it. On top of that i think just to have something different. I know you can get things such as the Kyosho Blizzard but it's really not the same as a big monster truck ripping around.
As far as the steering I've been giving this some thought and was thinking of something like two high speed servos, and some sort of gearing for each side with syncro's such as in a regular standard transmission. I've also tossed around the idea of something with belts but it doesn't seem sturdy enough to me.
I'm really looking for input here as to what you all think would work and what wouldn't so please, feel free to voice your opinion. Even if it is !QUOT! YOUR A ^&%(* IDIOT!QUOT!
Old 01-20-2005, 03:21 AM
Tnx_4_life

u could also use dual motors and have 2 servos that are independent from each other. ud need 2 cahnnels for that...thats the only thing i can think of atm.
Old 01-20-2005, 03:25 AM
cleffdawg

I also thought of that but at the same time that would require me to scale the project a lot larger than what it is. Thanks for the input. I plan on sitting down this weekend and drawing some stuff up on autocad. I'll try to post pics if i can.
Old 11-14-2008, 09:24 PM
malice23

study the blzzard layout it might help.
Old 11-14-2008, 11:16 PM
fly boy2

ORIGINAL: DarkSavageX

you can buy the tracks from that radio shack truck. people have done that
I got one of thoses its a Mattracks, its a fast sucker, great sus*****on, I'm surprised its lasted this long, swap out the tires for tracks and its still fun, and it looks cool, I think I'll bring it out in the snow
Old 11-15-2008, 01:38 AM
bzinfinity

Why would you need steering servos for a fully tracked vehicle?

The turning motion comes from one side rotating faster than the other. There is no "steering" per se.

Your best bet would be to set up the vehicle on an airplane radio and use both sticks to individually control one motor, both motors being on different channels. AKA - Full forward would be both sticks fully forward, turning or rotating would be a combination of one back one forward, or something in between. Think SeaDoo Jetboat.

I have a few airsoft tanks that operate much in the same manner, although since the radios are pre-programmed, there is just a wheel and a trigger. However, in retrospect, I think two stick on two motors would give you AWESOME turning/rotating ability.

Make sure to disable the brake function so that when you go full reverse to turn hard, the motor just slams into reverse.

You will probably eat up motors faster than normal, but it would be cool as hell.
Old 11-15-2008, 01:19 PM
rcnitrohead

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/moviecomment.asp?id=3447&uid=

Some inspiration^

And an auction ending in 4hrs for them...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Radio-Shack-Mattracks-for-Crawler-Robot-Wheely-King_W0QQitemZ300272648869QQcmdZViewItemQQptZRadio _Control_Parts_Accessories?hash=item300272648869&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A1|39%3A1|240%3A1318