Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

T-Maxx vs. Revo vs. Savage

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2005, 12:25 PM
Praetorian27

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T-Maxx vs. Revo vs. Savage

Ok, I am in the market for one of these trucks. I have spoken to different people who will try to convince me one way or the other, depending on what they own. Some people tell me the T-Maxx is the way to go...others say the Revo or Savage. I have done a lot of looking up on this website, but only seem to come up with personal opinions since nobody wants to talk bad about the truck they happen to have. So, my question is...what are the real differences or advantages of one over the other? Not personal opinions like "T-Maxx suck!", but actual benefits or disadvantages. Is one proven to be more fragile than the others? Is one proven to have more hop-ups available?

Thanks!
Old 03-11-2005, 01:03 PM
DebianDog

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: T-Maxx vs. Revo vs. Savage

T-Maxx - Been around, proven, lots of aftermarket part [link=http://www.beatyourtruck.com/project-jumpmaxx.html]Can be modded to be a good basher/jumper[/link] (You can pick up a good modded one cheap)

Revo - Newer, faster, wider, not too many aftermarket parts (The one I would get if buying new)

Savage - Solid, larger, built stronger, and a bit slower out of the box compared to a Revo (My buddy has two of them but just bought a Revo and likes it more)

My .02
Old 03-11-2005, 01:29 PM
PillowPants

first of all i totally get where your coming from with the whole personal opinion thing and DebianDog did a really good job explaining the trucks. if i were you i would go to your LHS and see which one has the most available hop ups and replacement parts. i started RC with a t-maxx and im glad i chose it. you can do pretty much anything with it, race, rock crawl, tons of hop ups, and awesome basher. revo, basiclly top of the line right now and its also an awesome truck, do anything with it. the savage is hardcore bashing. not really good for anything but bashing. in MY opinion, wouldnt suggest it.
Old 03-11-2005, 02:15 PM
Praetorian27

Thanks guys! Those were the type of responses I was looking for!
Old 03-11-2005, 02:17 PM
skiprat

again, I have only owned 'Savage' and brother a 'Losi'.........if I had the money I would buy a 'Losi' as it's awsome, but breaks alot, hence the......'If I had the money' bit.
Old 03-11-2005, 02:18 PM
Frost_
My Feedback: (1)

You guys have overlooked the fact that the Savage with the .25 is going the way of the setting sun.

The new SS comes with TONS of things that you used to have to do as hopups to make the truck solid. It also comes with a HUGE .28... IF that .28 is slow, the Revo and the Maxx definitely are too....

I love my Savage. When I bought it, I didn't even want a MT, I just wanted something that could be run roughly and not break. When I got it I just didn't have the time to constantly work on it. That's why I got it, and it is solid. The truck is very tough, even in stock form.

Let's take a stock Maxx and a stock Savage out to an afternoon of 8-10 foot jumps... After having done this time and time again, would you care to guess who goes home early?
Old 03-11-2005, 02:22 PM
Praetorian27

ORIGINAL: DebianDog

T-Maxx - Been around, proven, lots of aftermarket part [link=http://www.beatyourtruck.com/project-jumpmaxx.html]Can be modded to be a good basher/jumper[/link] (You can pick up a good modded one cheap)
Is a stock T-Maxx not a good jumper/basher?
Old 03-11-2005, 02:43 PM
DebianDog

HUGE .28... IF that .28 is slow, the Revo and the Maxx definitely are too....
I was talking about the track. It has a bigger motor because it is a bigger and heavier truck. A Revo would tear you a new one on a circle track.

to an afternoon of 8-10 foot jumps
Believe it or not these trucks were NEVER DESIGNED to do that... no matter now many videos you see of it. (Not that I have not done it myself) [8D] I still say the Revo would "hang"

IMO No, not compared to the other two (2) trucks... It depends what you want out of the truck.
Old 03-11-2005, 03:07 PM
Praetorian27

IMO No, not compared to the other two (2) trucks... It depends what you want out of the truck.
[/quote]

I am just looking for a truck that I can bomb around my backyard with...take to the local track and tear around some laps hitting the jumps there. I am not looking for something to go off 20' extreme jumps like in the videos.
Old 03-11-2005, 03:22 PM
DebianDog

ORIGINAL: Praetorian27

I am just looking for a truck that I can bomb around my backyard with...take to the local track and tear around some laps hitting the jumps there. I am not looking for something to go off 20' extreme jumps like in the videos.
Well I never had a problem with my Maxx until

- I put it about 8 foot in the air and did not land on the wheels (snapped the bulkheads)
- Smashed it, WOT, in to a fence (broke the A-arms)

If you looking to save a few bucks buy an S-Maxx (Stadium truck) It is a T-Maxx with 2WD and no reverse. As you can see I have 2 of them.
Old 03-11-2005, 03:49 PM
PillowPants

ORIGINAL: Praetorian27

ORIGINAL: DebianDog

yes, its really good, its a great all around truck. if you have the money, go revo.
Old 03-11-2005, 03:51 PM
PillowPants

if you are looking to do some heavy bashing, savage. 80% indestructable, IMO.
Old 03-11-2005, 04:07 PM
rcblaze

Of those 3 the Revo is the better all around.
Old 03-11-2005, 04:32 PM
PillowPants

ya guys i really doubt a savage or any RC car can handle a 10 footer without any accidents. i have raced supercross for 6 years and believe me, ten-footers are not quite made for RC's.
Old 03-12-2005, 11:44 AM
supertib

sorry dude i have run a Savage for a few years and it will easily handle 10 footers even landing nose or ass down it keeps coming, it is amazingly tough,, the new 4.6 Savage will kill a Revo in a drag race easily, more top end and tons more power....they are comparing the new 4.6 to a 24/7 pro, and let me tell you the difference between a 2.5 T-maxx and my 24/7 pro Savage is huge, my savage rips the 2.5 truck a new one...the only small block you will find that may make a Revo compete with the 4.6 is the new 2hp OS 18, anything else will get eaten......but the Savage is not a competitive racer, it is a backyard basher, it used to be underpowered but now is likely the fastest stock MT you will buy, in fact it will so outpower a Revo it will make the Revo look stupid
Old 03-12-2005, 11:49 AM
DebianDog

If you say so... but the two Savages in our little "click" are always down. These both are less than 2 months old and have been replaced by a Revo. I could probably get you a deal if your looking.
Old 03-12-2005, 12:24 PM
supertib

i want a REVO for sure....but the Savage is alot tougher and faster(now) but regardless i love the Revo.......but its underpowered for what i am used to...i was running a stock revo and it was a turd compared to my 24/7 pro powered Savage...but man does it handle good and it looks awesome.....i love most trucks but each has their strngths and weaknesses....you may have seen savages break and Revo's not but thats one case in most cases its the other way around, and anyone who knows the truth will say a savage is the king of abuse, and its not just a few people its a majority of people...the Revo is the "better" truck but for bashing it cannot compete with the Savage...on a track equal drivers the Savage cannot compete with a Revo not even close...power wise the new Savage is a monster be prepared its likely nearly 100% more powerful then a S-25(turd of a engine)
Old 03-12-2005, 12:51 PM
Frost_

ORIGINAL: NitroRulz23

ya guys i really doubt a savage or any RC car can handle a 10 footer without any accidents. i have raced supercross for 6 years and believe me, ten-footers are not quite made for RC's.
Put you 'doubts' away on the shelf of un-checked opinion.

My truck has spent countless afternoons doing nothing but jumping (and jumps this high). After you start small and never have incidents, the natural progression is bigger jumps. WOT at the top of second gear really launches the thing.... After lots and lots of hard landing, I have only had a few TINY things to break... I broke a plastic shock end (the ball end) on a >10 foot up and over 40 feet out launch when I landed oddly on the side of 1 wheel... Cheap, and it took 3 minutes to fix in the field. I have had two of these break from doing the same thing twice. Almost everything I replaced on the truck I did because I wanted to, not to fix a break.

It's so nice to take the truck out and beat it up hard for a few hours and then just bring it home and clean it off with the nitro-solvent (spray).

To be honest, I may get a REVO after I hear how their drivetrain holds up to the BIG big-blocks... The REVOs have the handling, there is no debate from me there, I just don't race. There are not any MT tracks anywhere near where I live.
Old 03-12-2005, 01:00 PM
PillowPants

ORIGINAL: supertib

sorry dude i have run a Savage for a few years and it will easily handle 10 footers even landing nose or ass down it keeps coming, it is amazingly tough,, the new 4.6 Savage will kill a Revo in a drag race easily, more top end and tons more power....they are comparing the new 4.6 to a 24/7 pro, and let me tell you the difference between a 2.5 T-maxx and my 24/7 pro Savage is huge, my savage rips the 2.5 truck a new one...the only small block you will find that may make a Revo compete with the 4.6 is the new 2hp OS 18, anything else will get eaten......but the Savage is not a competitive racer, it is a backyard basher, it used to be underpowered but now is likely the fastest stock MT you will buy, in fact it will so outpower a Revo it will make the Revo look stupid
sure... where did you even find a 10 footer?
Old 03-12-2005, 01:15 PM
Frost_

I don't think you understand.... My exact words were : "Let's take a stock Maxx and a stock Savage out to an afternoon of 8-10 foot jumps..." I didn't say an afternoon of 10 foot ramps....

And in case you did understand, and in answer to your question, you build them like any other ramp.

Praetorian, you will nearly certainly be happy with the Revo or the Savage. If you go the way of the Savage, get the new SS, not the RTR25.
Old 03-12-2005, 02:37 PM
PillowPants

ORIGINAL: Frost_

I don't think you understand.... My exact words were : "Let's take a stock Maxx and a stock Savage out to an afternoon of 8-10 foot jumps..." I didn't say an afternoon of 10 foot ramps....

And in case you did understand, and in answer to your question, you build them like any other ramp.

Praetorian, you will nearly certainly be happy with the Revo or the Savage. If you go the way of the Savage, get the new SS, not the RTR25.
build them yourself? you own a bulldozer? ok im confused. what do you meran by 8-10 foot ramps? height? i think ya made a typo..
Old 03-12-2005, 02:49 PM
lloydy

if you are looking to do some heavy bashing, savage. 80% indestructable, IMO.

if your looking for something 100% indestructable, go mad force....
Old 03-12-2005, 03:34 PM
savagesrule

ok i have owned both a t-maxx and a savage and my brother has a revo. let me start by saying that unless you have a good amount of money lying around dont buy the t-maxx. its not that it isnt good its just it breaks witha fair amount of ease. as for the revo fast low good for racing but not really for anything else though it did just land a awsome backflip the other day. though i must dissagree with what some people are saying about how the savage is only good for bashing, i have done some upgrades(tuned pipe, double disk brake, reviever battery, air filter, and my brand new picco .26) and let me say it killed at the club race last night. in the final main when i finished i was 4 laps ahead of everyone else(two of the other five trucks were revos!) it was a good feeling. so make your choice wisely! whatever you get i hope you have fun with it.
Old 03-12-2005, 04:31 PM
DebianDog

in the final main when i finished i was 4 laps ahead of everyone else(two of the other five trucks were revos!)
They (the Revo's) were modded also?
Old 03-12-2005, 05:11 PM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (6)

I use to have a T-MAXX and now have a Revo. It is awsome as long as you dont break it. It is not fun to work on. The Maxx is much easyier to work on. But as long as it is running good it is the best thing I have ever bought. I love it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.