Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Revo + Mammoth Owners help

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2005, 12:40 AM
Black_Ghost_FN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Revo + Mammoth Owners help

Im haveing a hard time deciding which I want to get once I save up the money. Ive done lots or reasearch on both of them, and right now Im leaning toward the mammoth. I need some experienced RCer's advice. I mostly want the mammoth because its bigger and faster. I want the Revo because I believe it is a better truck and accellerates faster, has more hopups, and is tougher.

I Probably wont be racing it at a track, I want it for bashing.
Old 03-30-2005, 10:08 PM
mulisha_army
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Revo + Mammoth Owners help

Hey, my brother has a revo and I just got a Mammoth. The mammoth is a good truck but believe me for your first car get the revo because the Mammoth breaks a lot and i alrdy spent money on 3 spur gears, tires and rims cause of the stripping, servo, front a-arm- this has happened to other Mammoth owners as well. Trust me on this one, my friend beats the crap out of his revo, he launched it 10 feet into the air and landed on flat ground and nothin broke. I couldn't keep up with his revo in bashing and overall its just a fun truck to drive. Right now I am wishing I had bought the revo but with the Mammoth you would need to buy the steel gears 50$, upgraded shock towers 60$(they bend easily) hex axel conversion kit 26$ (tires strip to easily), tires and rims for the conv. kit. 80$ And overall the Revo is just a lot funner to drive I would get the Revo.
Old 03-30-2005, 10:16 PM
RenegadeRevo

Agreed. My friend that got me into this hobby bought a mammoth. It seemed that every time we would run it, even if it were just light bashing... it broke SOMETHING. Shock towers were a normal thing to have to replace... he was always having things broken on it. We both saw the Revo, and I did some research on it. I decided I was going to buy one. While I was gone on vacation to Cancun, my friend had sold his Mammoth and backordered a Revo... He claims that the Revo is much better than the mammoth... I beat the tar out of my Revo, and I've had to replace minimal parts.
Old 03-31-2005, 08:11 AM
binaryterror

I own both...

Run the Revo alot more now since my money is limited way to tight to run the Mammoth.
Old 03-31-2005, 12:01 PM
mtbbiker

I own both as well and not to impressed with the Mammoth. Like the other say the Mammoth needs a lot of work right out of the box or things break quickly or comes loose. Even after fixing majority of the Mammoth issues the Revo still does circles around the Mammoth. Only place where the Mammoth shines is long bumpy straights and wide turns. If this is your terrain then the Mammoth will be tough to beat, every where else the Revo will own it.
Old 05-10-2005, 10:15 PM
hansdava

mammoth fastest one but not for bushing like the revo is....
Old 05-10-2005, 10:42 PM
RenegadeRevo

Well, with a SIMPLE (not cheap) engine swap... the Revo will not only out-handle a Mammoth, but also beat it. I bought an RB Concepts TM323, and I can guarantee you I would beat a Mammoth... I only know one person running a Mammoth anymore... he's got a Sirio .27 on it... but last time we took it out... it wasn't running very good, so I have no comparison... but as far as my experience has taken me... I'd say a Revo would be best suited for you, unless you live close to an LHS and don't mind spending money on parts... OR spending an extra $200+ just to get it as strong as the Revo... and also add another 1-2 pounds in the process. (which the Mammoth isn't a light truck as it is...)... IN MY OPINION (don't want to start another war... ) The Revo will be a better buy for you... The difference between 40+ and 55+ isn't a lot... when it comes between the comparission, since the Revo will actually keep up with the Mammoth while accelerating... it's hitting second gear that the Mammoth starts pulling away.. but you can get a Mid block or a Big Block on the Revo to cure that.
Old 05-11-2005, 10:19 AM
Ducman69

The durability in the Revo is nice (no complaints so far), but you can get at least that in a Savage too. Whats nice in the Revo in particular is that you can set it up with 4" of ground clearance, yet the packaging is excellent, keeping the CG low and it has probably one of the nicest long travel progressive suspensions in the monster truck world right now (you can really tweak that baby too). Revo is definitely a blast! Checkout the Savage too, as thats definitely another top contender, sacrificing a little on weight and handling though, but is tuff and proven for serious bashing. Also comes in kit form with a monster of a motor. Those are the cream of the crop right now IMO. Revo = suspension, Savage = power. Can't go wrong either way!
Old 05-12-2005, 02:50 PM
UF DUB

it will be out in june, but check out the mammoth ST on hobbypeople.net. should be a great racer: lighter, racing tires, and tunability. also, from the little information out there, it looks to be very tough.
Old 05-12-2005, 03:55 PM
Ovgron

you should ask this questions at the Global Hobby forums. Alot of the guys there have Revos, Mammoths, Savages, T-maxxs, X-factors, etc. You get unbiased answers there. Here on RCU, everyone is way too biased and atleast 50% of the answers are lies.

Ask this question at [link=http://globalservices.globalhobby.com/globalforum/index.php]Global Hobby Forums[/link]
Old 05-12-2005, 04:03 PM
Ovgron

ORIGINAL: REVOFAMILY

Well, with a SIMPLE (not cheap) engine swap... the Revo will not only out-handle a Mammoth, but also beat it. I bought an RB Concepts TM323, and I can guarantee you I would beat a Mammoth... I only know one person running a Mammoth anymore... he's got a Sirio .27 on it... but last time we took it out... it wasn't running very good, so I have no comparison... but as far as my experience has taken me... I'd say a Revo would be best suited for you, unless you live close to an LHS and don't mind spending money on parts... OR spending an extra $200+ just to get it as strong as the Revo... and also add another 1-2 pounds in the process. (which the Mammoth isn't a light truck as it is...)... IN MY OPINION (don't want to start another war... ) The Revo will be a better buy for you... The difference between 40+ and 55+ isn't a lot... when it comes between the comparission, since the Revo will actually keep up with the Mammoth while accelerating... it's hitting second gear that the Mammoth starts pulling away.. but you can get a Mid block or a Big Block on the Revo to cure that.

Wait wait wait.... hold on.... so the Revo has the durability, while the Mammoth has the speed. In order for the Revo to be as fastas the Mammoth, you have to put a $200 engine in to get the same speed, while if you put the same $200 into a Mammoth on upgrades, youll have gain the 'toughness' everyone claims it lacks.

So according to the few people who actually own both...

Stock Revo = more durability and less speed
Stock Mammoth = less durability and more speed

Revo + $200 = More durability and More speed
Mammoth + $200 = More Durability and More speed

Does that sound right?
Old 05-13-2005, 02:09 AM
nivek

WOW...And I thought it was just me!!! This is a new Hobby for me and I have not race or tried jumping my MAMMOTH over ten feet. I've run my Mammoth up and down my street jump off the curb even went to a local park, and each time something has broken. It's still a stock truck out of the box with the exception of changing the shock oil, added shock boots, roll cage, and a battery gauge. I spend more time repairing or replacing somethings than enjoying it.

I SAY NO TO MAMMOTH, unless your have the additional $100 to $200 dollars adding more heavy duty parts.
Old 05-13-2005, 03:48 AM
RenegadeRevo

ORIGINAL: Ovgron

Wait wait wait.... hold on.... so the Revo has the durability, while the Mammoth has the speed. In order for the Revo to be as fastas the Mammoth, you have to put a $200 engine in to get the same speed, while if you put the same $200 into a Mammoth on upgrades, youll have gain the 'toughness' everyone claims it lacks.

Does that sound right?
Sure! HOWEVER... with the extra $200 I put in the engine, I will now SMOKE a Mammoth... not just be as fast.
Old 05-13-2005, 02:24 PM
Ducman69

If you are just comparing durability and straight line speed... but what about when you want to take turns or hit some rough terrain? Revo has a pretty pimpy suspension and chassis.
Old 05-13-2005, 04:31 PM
Ovgron

Does that sound right?
Sure! HOWEVER... with the extra $200 I put in the engine, I will now SMOKE a Mammoth... not just be as fast.

What engine are you talking about?
Old 05-13-2005, 05:27 PM
proxpilot
My Feedback: (3)

the mammoth is only Fast cuz of the really tall gearing. sure the 24/7 has good power, but has no more power than a mach .26 or picco .26 actually has less, if you put that tall of gearing in anything it's going to have lots of top end the REVO will probably spank it in the first 50 feet.
Old 05-13-2005, 10:51 PM
Black_Ghost_FN

Thanx For replies guys, but my decisions fly alover the place. At the moment Ive decided on the LST
Old 05-13-2005, 11:08 PM
proxpilot
My Feedback: (3)

gonna need spare a-arms, aluminum diffcases, prolly TI turnbuckles. good decision though
Old 05-14-2005, 12:26 AM
RenegadeRevo

Does that sound right?

What engine are you talking about?
RB Concepts TM323... .23 power in an 8lb truck. With my gearing, I'll not only smoke the Mammoth off the line, but my top speed will be higher.
Old 05-14-2005, 02:27 AM
UF DUB

thats a 200 dollar engine? if it is, im going to get a revo soon and will have to get that engine. where can i get this?
Old 05-14-2005, 02:27 AM
Ovgron

How much does a Tm323 cost new? And im curious Revofamily, what other rcs do you own? And how old are you?
Old 05-14-2005, 09:47 PM
RenegadeRevo

First off... the RB TM323 is $238 shipped BRAND NEW from www.acehardwarehobbies.com it comes with EVERYTHING to fit it to the Revo... Motormount... engine... pipe.. header... and will use the stock EZ-start...

Second, I only OWN a Revo, however have had many experiences with Mammoths, Mini-T's, RC18T's, Stampede's... and I'm 25... what does that matter?
Old 05-14-2005, 09:49 PM
Ovgron

no reason. Only asked your age because you argue like a 14 year old.
Old 05-14-2005, 11:01 PM
RenegadeRevo

Got 2 questions.... how am I arguing? AND... Are you enjoying just following me around like a little puppy and trying to say I'm arguing with everyone? All I was doing is answering a question. The question was asked which one we liked better. I stated my opinion, which is what was asked. I never argued a point, just stated my opinion, very matter-of-fact. It seems to me that you are the one attempting to argue with me like a child. You are just LOOKING for reasons to argue with me. C'mon man, grow up. I know that your ego is a bit hurt now that you found out that not EVERYONE likes XTM, but you don't have to accuse someone of arguing just because you're a little hurt.
Old 05-20-2005, 10:37 PM
Ovgron

Websters definition of 'argue'.

1 : to give reasons for or against something
2 : to contend or disagree in words
3 : to give evidence of
4 : to consider the pros and cons of
5 : to prove or try to prove by giving reasons
6 : to persuade by giving reasons

How many times has your "Up with Revos, Down with Mammoths" responses do you think apply to these definitions?

hehehe ... wow... struck a chord with you, eh? Actually, my experience with BOTH of my friend's Mammoths were that everytime we took them out... they break. (Particularly the shock towers) I saw the Mammoths BEFORE I even knew about the Revo. I was going to get an X-factor.... or a Mammoth. After doing MONTHS of research, I decided the Mammoth wasn't for me (broke too many things) and the X-factor was cool, but I wanted something a bit more faster... and more durable. I never said XTM sucked. I said the Mammoth tends to break a lot. I have other Mammoth owners on this forum that would back me up on that statement. I actually liked the Mammoth (running on the street... going fast) but, once I saw the Revo, the Mammoth didn't really seem too appealing anymore. To be honest with you, I talked with the LHS guy about Mammoths... and I didn't realize it, but my friend's Mammoth spent more times apart... getting fixed than it did on the road. BUT... to each his own... you seem to be an XTM-enthusiast... good for you... they need supporters! I think anyone should buy a Mammoth, just as long as they understand they will be spending more time FIXING than DRIVING... if they're cool with that... GREAT!

OH... and I never said ANYTHING bad about the 24.7 ... I like the motor. And, yes I scare people away from the Mammoth... because (especially newbies...) would rather run their trucks than be fixing them. I'm not the only one that has had a bad review of a Mammoth... read a few other's posts...

One thing I DO like about the Mammoth is ... it's a simple truck... there's no frills... just a simple design... no tranny, just a couple of exposed gears (just be careful around small rocks... they get lodged in the gears... and cause it not to move) JUST BEWARE... it's not just a fuel-and-run truck... you'll be fixing it... that's my only problem with the Mammoth. I have no problem with XTM...

You asked a question... I answered it. Have fun with the Mammoth. Just beware that you're probably going to be fixing it a lot. My friend BABIED his Mammoth... he MAY have jumped it 1-2 feet in the air... I doubt the Mammoth could handle ANYTHING I put my Revo through... but, if you like it... go buy it. I don't care what you spend your money on. It's not me that's going to be living at the LHS... It's not me that's going to spend $400+ on a Mammoth... I bought a Revo for a reason... and I like it. I can guaranteee you that my Revo is not only more durable than a Mammoth, but it's faster, too. Back to the original idea of this post... you can spend your money on what you want. It's your hard-earned money... I just want to forewarn you of my, and other's experiences with the mammoth. For the same amount of money, you can get a Savage... and it will be MUCH tougher... but not as fast. It's up to you, man... I don't give a rat's behind about what you buy, as long as you're happy with it.

Right on, man... do what you wish. ALL the experience I've had with a Mammoth has been bad. First off, the 2.5r is a good engine... the reason most of the time people have tuning issues is because of an air leak somewhere (usually the tank...) Think about this... the Revo, regardless of how "heavy" the EZ-start is... or how much of a "piece of crap" the 2.5r is... it still keeps up with all the .21+ trucks.... think about the Revo with a .21+ engine... see, I don't have to think about it... I have one. I have to gear-down to keep the truck from flipping over at 1/2 throttle. I guarantee you ... my Revo vs. Mammoth would SMOKE the Mammoth... even on top-end. But, again... do what you wish. It's your money, and no matter what is said here, you will spend it any way you want. If it were me, I'd not waste the money on a Mammoth, and get a Savage .21 or a Revo... but, that's just me. I do think it's funny that you said if Traxxas made a kit for the Revo, you'd buy one, except for... the Savage SS 4.6 is a kit... and you don't want one of those... and the Mammoth is RTR... and you DO want one of those... just doesn't make sense... but I'm sure you have whatever reason for it.

I can go on all day.

Now you going to say im wrong or something?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.