Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

How important is reverse?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2005, 05:55 PM
yamaguchi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How important is reverse?

I am looking real hard at a TNX. I would use it just for bashing around. Is the lack of reverse a big deal to most of yall, or is it something you can live without? I like the TNX because it seems it has the most accel compared to other stock trucks. I am looking at a Monster GT too but I like the looks and layout of the TNX a little better. Some say the TNX will pull wheelies and some say it doesnt, well does it?
Old 04-01-2005, 05:58 PM
ICrashThings

Default RE: How important is reverse?

Uhmmm I know I cant live without my reverse...lol i dont know how many times i have ran into a tree. For racing you dont need it but for bashing it doesnt hurt.
Old 04-01-2005, 06:08 PM
EPHELI

see thats what reverse is for(basically if you suck at driving, lol no offence) but personally driveline, ease of repairs, rotating mass, ect. are reasons why that truck may out-accelerate the others. imo, i think reverse sucks(but i am used to racing, using mod motors, stuff like that) also one thing to consider is just the work involved if there is a problem(driveline wise) but my traxxas stampede is my one car with reverse, and ill admit.... if you dont ever want to move from where you are(meaning if you crash into somthing, no walking over to it) witch is a plus. but i feel you can get more performance out of a single..or even a two speed tranny with no reverse. imo....of course. later, epheli.
Old 04-01-2005, 06:08 PM
Ybenjulkay2x

You are right, can't use that reverse on race[&o]
Old 04-01-2005, 06:14 PM
bamaracer0

I installed the FOC(forward only conversion) in my Revo recently, and I don't miss it one bit. If your too lazy to go get it if it getss tuck or something, there is something wrong with you.(or your disabled, then I can understand why)
Old 04-01-2005, 06:25 PM
EPHELI

I AGREE 1000% if you are just being a bad driver.....aaallott(or like stated before , handicapped) then reverse is for you !
Old 04-01-2005, 06:28 PM
EPHELI

by the way, i like your truggy set-up!
Old 04-01-2005, 06:30 PM
EPHELI

it's like a gigantic 1/8TH scale car.
Old 04-01-2005, 07:42 PM
RenegadeRevo
My Feedback: (1)

I actually bought the Revo partially because it had reverse... I ended up stripping the reverse gear out of mine... and haven't had reverse since. I have no problem with no Reverse, anymore... it is nice when you suck at driving (as we all did when we started)
Old 04-01-2005, 10:13 PM
fastcrash

the tnx is one of the better trucks out there right now, and it comes with a great stock engine( considered an upgrade on most trucks). but the trucks fatal flaw in my eyes is the lack of support by tamiya and my lhs alike.
Old 04-01-2005, 11:17 PM
sledmanass
My Feedback: (2)

You said youd be bashing most of the time, if you want a really good strong basher consider the savage 25 RTR, it has reverse and is the strongest truck out there from what everyone says and my opinion too. The Tnx is a great truck, but i just gave you my opinion on the savage.
Old 04-01-2005, 11:23 PM
RenegadeRevo

ORIGINAL: sledmanass

You said youd be bashing most of the time, if you want a really good strong basher consider the savage 25 RTR, it has reverse and is the strongest truck out there from what everyone says and my opinion too. The Tnx is a great truck, but i just gave you my opinion on the savage.
Yes, Savage or Revo are the toughest trucks, IMO. When bashing, reverse is helpful, but sometimes annoying. I know that a lot of times after a big jump, my Revo would kick into reverse... which is why my reverse gear ended up with 2 teeth on it... the other teeth ended up in the transmission case.
Old 04-02-2005, 12:34 AM
yamaguchi

I am totally new to rc, but I know I want a nitro rc monster truck. I am prepared to work on it, thats part of the fun to me. I know I'll probably smack alot of stuff at first. The more I have learned about these trucks it seems rev dont matter that much. I noticed alot of people on here are doing away with reverse on their trucks. I have considered the Savage but it seems like the Monster GT is just as good. I do like the aftermarket support for each of those trucks. I dont mind buying parts on line and waiting thats one reason I am thinking about the TNX. When something breaks I am so far from the hobby shop I might as well just order it. How big an eng can a TNX handle if someone wanted to upgrade one?
Old 04-02-2005, 12:43 AM
crusher03

the tranny in the tnx is awsome, its light yet the gears are beefy enough to handle the .26 and .28 out there. but if you do go with big power i would recomend getting the aluminum diff cases to help strengthen up the drivetrain a bit.
Old 04-02-2005, 01:04 AM
yamaguchi

Thats what I wanted to here. This my first time posting here and I wasnt expecting this many replies this quickly. Thanks to all for posting. I have alot of questions about these things. One being I understand why the slipper clutch is in these but how do ya set one up. How much should it slip and do these things wear out very quickly. Are the differentials in these trucks an open one or are they a limited slip. Do you just run thicker lube in them to make them drive both wheels more?
Old 04-02-2005, 08:55 AM
hdmax

I would think a basher would benifit having reverse, due too getting into situatitions where reverse could save lots of walking. While a racer could benifit not having reverse because the lighter truck would not only have less rotating mass, but would accelerate quicker, so coming out of a turn, the truck would get up to speed, and top end could be slightly faster then a heavier truck with the same power.
Old 04-02-2005, 01:55 PM
tndiverdown

To me, reverse is a necessity for bashing.
Old 04-02-2005, 03:31 PM
ICrashThings

I agree, If you are bashing u would like a reverse. Not because u suck at driving...I have mine on because I drive in the woods and sometimes I need to back up for some parts.
Old 04-03-2005, 11:11 PM
yamaguchi

Why in the world does it say I'm from Albania under my name? I checked my account and everything is set on USA.
Old 04-04-2005, 01:08 PM
lloydy

hahaha, pass.

but the mad force is a good basher, just no reverse but where i dirve that aint impotant cos theres loadsa space adn i have legs afterall
Old 04-04-2005, 02:54 PM
DebianDog

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Trucks have reverse? [X(]

I can count the times I have wished for it on one hand.

NOW... if there was an option to flip it back over and start it.... I would buy that in a second! [:-]
Old 04-04-2005, 03:23 PM
RenegadeRevo

ORIGINAL: DebianDog

Trucks have reverse? [X(]

I can count the times I have wished for it on one hand.

NOW... if there was an option to flip it back over and start it.... I would buy that in a second! [:-]
YOu know, I was trying to figure out a way to rig up an easy start to the third channel. Biggest downside... it's so heavy with the battery in it.