Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

Yes, another "which truck should I get?" thread

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Yes, another "which truck should I get?" thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2005, 01:22 PM
AdamBob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yes, another "which truck should I get?" thread

I've finally decided to get back into the hobby with a nitro monster truck, but am still unsure which one to get. I come from the stadium truck world (FTGT with a .12 cv-r), so I want a truck that is agile and will handle well. From what I've gathered, that pretty much rules out the Savage. It jumps well, but otherwise looks like a lumbering tank in every video I've seen. The LST has nice features, but I continually hear reports of durability issues, and it's a good deal more expensive than the other trucks. The MGT is nice, and I loved the AE quality of my FTGT, but it is also likely bigger and clumsier than I would like, although I'll say I'm still open to that option. Basically, I want a light, nimble truck that can still take a major beating and that I can race on occasion. Using that criteria, I've pretty much narrowed my choices down to the TNX Pro and Revo.

Parts availability isn't really an issue. Both hobby shops in town are sub-par and hardly carry anything, so I'll be having them order parts for whichever truck I choose. I think at this point the nod is going to the TNX Pro due to the O.S. engine and radio that doesn't immediately feel like it needs an upgrade. The only thing about the TNX I'm worried about is the plastic sliders, but an expensive set of CVD's would fix that.[sm=tired.gif] Is there anything else I should consider before making my purchase? I know everyone hates these threads, but thanks for reading.
Old 06-23-2005, 01:36 PM
ICrashThings

Default RE: Yes, another "which truck should I get?" thread

go for the tnx, from what i read its a pretty nice truck and its just great.

also look on towerhobbies.com for the parts.
Old 06-23-2005, 01:42 PM
Johnny1500

Id say the Revo because your looking for somthing nimble that handles well, the revo is smaller than the tnx and it is one of the quicker trucks. and the tnx is 1/8 scale with only a .18 engine.the revo is just a better truck.
Old 06-23-2005, 02:21 PM
piccorevo

never heard of searching for yourself
Old 06-23-2005, 02:40 PM
AdamBob

ORIGINAL: racecarking123

never heard of searching for yourself
Wow, six rolling eye smileys must make you feel pretty special, huh? Read my post, and tell me I haven't done my research. The difference between this post and others is that few that I have found are directly comparing these two trucks. I found a couple similar topics, but they were from before the TNX Pro was released and, more often than not, the TNX is simply a side-mention and not fully discussed. Every person's tastes and needs are different, so what somebody else is looking for in a truck may not apply to me. Thanks for all though help, though, it was much appreciated.
Old 06-23-2005, 03:31 PM
RenegadeRevo
My Feedback: (1)

Personally, I like the Revo, but have not had experience with the TNX. According to many TNX owners... it's a pretty good truck, so... I still say Revo, but that is a biased opinion. (I love my Revo)
Old 06-23-2005, 09:34 PM
crusher03

If you did do you research you would know that the tnx and revo weight almost the exact same. both trucks are under 9 ibs.
The tnx might be 1/8 scale and have an 18 but that 18 will put a 2.5 in its place..
Both trucks are great for bashing or racing. it just depends on what you can afford and what you want.
Old 06-23-2005, 10:31 PM
MountainMotor
My Feedback: (7)

LST all the way!
Old 06-23-2005, 10:58 PM
AdamBob

If you did do you research you would know that the tnx and revo weight almost the exact same. both trucks are under 9 ibs.
The tnx might be 1/8 scale and have an 18 but that 18 will put a 2.5 in its place..
Both trucks are great for bashing or racing. it just depends on what you can afford and what you want.
Actually both trucks are OVER 9 pounds in stock trim. The Revo is around 150 ounces, or 9.375 pounds. The TNX, at approximately 158 ounces, is 9.875 pounds. If you're wondering, those figures were taken from the RC Monster Trucks shootout. Also, according to what I've read and seen, the motors are pretty evenly matched in terms of power. That same shootout clocked the TNX at 39, and the Revo at 40, although they did mention the lack of low-end grunt from the TRX 2.5. As far as my budget...I can afford both. Quoted from my LHS, they're within $25 of each other, which certainly isn't enough to make a difference. From Tower, the price difference is about the same.

To those of you who did offer helpful comments, thank you. For the two of you who decided to be smartasses, I urge you to instead communicate in a respectful manner, it really is better for everybody on this and every message forum.
Old 06-24-2005, 10:17 AM
silverman1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll give you my perspective on both the Revo and the Tnx. I happen to own both of them.

My comparo is based on several aspects except for racing.

Tnx= more of a grunt motor low end.

Revo= Makes power more on top end.

Street racing Pavement= The nod goes to the revo in handling

Off road Grass surface hilly with woops= Tnx more stable less prone to flip

Hill climbing= Goes to the Tnx this is where the low end grunt comes in.

Durability= Both are very good here, Id say even.

Completeness of package= Revo, very nice touch with recharable reciever pack and charger.

When i initially looked at the Tnx with the plastic slider shafts Etc, I wondered, but the truth is in the running.

To sum it all up both are superb trucks, but the Tnx just works better overall in all enviorments for me.

I will say this though I don't plan on selling my revo it is also one awesome truck!!

I love em both!!
Old 06-24-2005, 10:40 AM
piccorevo

QUOTE"Actually both trucks are OVER 9 pounds in stock trim. The Revo is around 150 ounces, or 9.375 pounds. The TNX, at approximately 158 ounces, is 9.875 pounds. If you're wondering, those figures were taken from the RC Monster Trucks shootout. Also, according to what I've read and seen, the motors are pretty evenly matched in terms of power. That same shootout clocked the TNX at 39, and the Revo at 40, although they did mention the lack of low-end grunt from the TRX 2.5. As far as my budget...I can afford both. Quoted from my LHS, they're within $25 of each other, which certainly isn't enough to make a difference. From Tower, the price difference is about the same.
"QUOTE

well since you know so much about these trucks make your own mind up if you have done all the reading and seen shootouts on both trucks then no more information is going to help, because there is only so much we can tell you. But if you want a lollipop and i will hold your hand we can just buy you both of them. its your money you have read on both trucks so you decide, do something for yourself.
Old 06-24-2005, 11:44 AM
AdamBob

Thanks Silverman, it's looking more and more like the TNX is the truck for me.

well since you know so much about these trucks make your own mind up if you have done all the reading and seen shootouts on both trucks then no more information is going to help, because there is only so much we can tell you. But if you want a lollipop and i will hold your hand we can just buy you both of them. its your money you have read on both trucks so you decide, do something for yourself.
Reading specifications and the magazine articles can only take a person so far. First, that shootout tested the standard TNX, not the TNX Pro. Second, the main focus was on-track performance, and discussed very little the attitudes of each truck in bashing situations. It also never hurts to hear another opinion. A lollipop would be nice, though...thanks.
Old 06-24-2005, 12:33 PM
turbopwr

The slider/CVD problem can be solved by putting a 3MM shock limiter on the Proline shocks. I only had a problem in the front so I only used the limiter in the front and have not broken a axle since.

I have a Revo and TNX(upgraded to Pro specs). Its a tough call which is better but I do like the Revo alittle better due to its suspension. It's so plush. I'm currently running MY TNX without the damper shock so it is very light. The TNX is lighter than the Revo. I don't have a small scale but you can feel the difference between the two trucks. The TNX is bigger and the longer wheelbase does make it more stable but the Revo is more twitchy due to the shorter wheel base. Speed between the two is so close it is really a draw between the two. If you do get the TNX move the battery box to the front of the chassis for more steering and better jumping balance.
Old 06-24-2005, 03:18 PM
crusher03

Dont forget, mip just released mip aluminum cvds for the tnx. no more broken plastic slyders to deal with.
now if we can get tamiya to include them with the pro kit i just might have to buy a second tnx
Old 06-24-2005, 05:45 PM
piccorevo

pm me your address and i will see what i can do i would of had sent you an ice cram cone but it would melt sorry
Old 06-25-2005, 12:59 AM
AdamBob

haha SWEET, free candy.