RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Super Clodbuster questions....

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2005, 10:36 PM
Mr. Furious

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Super Clodbuster questions....

Hey all,
Racing has all but died in my area. I have a ton of nice electric stuff that I will lose my butt selling so I'm thinking of getting an electric monster. I have loved the clod since it was first released when I was a teenager but never owned one. I had a couple questions about the super clod buster:

The super rooster is the best choice for an ESC, right? Is there anything cheaper that will do the job of 2 motors at 7.2v?

I'd like to run 2 side by side configuration 6 cell packs to increase my run time, can I put 2 in the stock chassis?

I plan to make it 4ws as it's built. Do I need a servo reverser harness to make it steer properly? Does the kit come with a servo saver for the front and rear?

I have 8 TNX shocks sitting on my shelf. Can I use all 8 on the stock clod?

What aftermarket lexan bodies work on the clod chassis? Hate to wreck that pretty hard plastic body bashing about.....

What else will I need to get the built right the first time around? Common/necesary mods & etc?
Old 07-04-2005, 12:39 AM
jakjr
My Feedback: (18)

Default RE: Super Clodbuster questions....

I dont forsee you keeping the stock chassis long since it well... sucks, but anyways.

I plan to make it 4ws as it's built. Do I need a servo reverser harness to make it steer properly? Does the kit come with a servo saver for the front and rear?
The stock setup uses the same servo to steer both ends so no extra harnesses are needed. It has 2 servo savers built in (one on each axle).

The super rooster is the best choice for an ESC, right? Is there anything cheaper that will do the job of 2 motors at 7.2v?
You dont need a special ESC to run dual motors, many people think that but you really dont. I use an OLD novak duster sport or something like that in my clod based truck and have no problems. Although you do need to watch the motor limits as running 2 motors in parellel puts double the strain on the ESC (in other words two 27t motors is equal to running a single 13t motor).

I'd like to run 2 side by side configuration 6 cell packs to increase my run time, can I put 2 in the stock chassis?
The stock chassis battery holder is only made to hold one pack, but their should be enough room on top of the chassis to hold another pack. BTW I dont think youll want to run 2 packs in it, I get like a half hour of runtime on one 3600mah pack.

What aftermarket lexan bodies work on the clod chassis? Hate to wreck that pretty hard plastic body bashing about.....
Parma makes a lexan clodbuster body, as far as I know its the same deminsions as the stock one but in lexan. I think pretty much any other bodies will require different body mounts.

What else will I need to get the built right the first time around? Common/necesary mods & etc?
Bearings, lexan body, better shocks, ESC, better motors, high torque servo, and maybe better tires (the stockers are alright but I like my Imex Baja's alot better). You'd want at least all of that, but the best upgrade would be a sweet chassis. Also if youre going to keep 4WS id go with a dual servo setup using something like the thundertech gearbox mounts.

BTW heres a pic of my clod, not too stock anymore

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ro41681.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	293392  
Old 07-04-2005, 04:57 AM
PeteOz

I had one othe original clodbusters in 1987 and now have a super clodbuster, more for nostalgia sake than anything. If you really want a good electric basher, why not buy a newer design truck? The Clod is a fabulous piece of machinery for it's day, but it is an almost 20 year old design. If you want dual battery packs and aftermarket bodies etc, check these links

http://www.traxxas.com/products/elec.../trx_emaxx.htm

http://www.kyosho.co.jp/web/products...inforce-e.html

and a comparison between them:

http://www.rccaraction.com/rc/articl...evsemaxx_5.asp
Old 07-04-2005, 09:16 AM
Mr. Furious

Thanks for all the info! I actually started out wanting the Twin Force as my EP Monster but now Tower Hobbies discontinued it and all if the parts so the kit and it's replacement parts are unavailable. Is the TF a discontinued truck or did Tower decide to just ditch the whole line? If the TF and parts are still available, where can I buy the truck and parts?

The E-Maxx is a decent truck and certainly much cheaper than going with a Clod and much, much cheaper than building a TXT or Twin Force but I've never been a huge fan of Traxxas stuff and I already have a TNX for all out speed and crazy stunts with a monster truck. I kind of wanted to build something a little different and maybe try some rock crawling.

Where can I find the best entry level clod upgrade chassis? How about the thundertech servo mounts, where can I find them?
Old 07-04-2005, 10:01 AM
Wicked!!
My Feedback: (5)

Well if your looking for a all around chassis then the RCguy Gecko is the one to have. The chassis was built for rock crawling however it does sooo much more. See the term "rock crawler" gets thrown around allot and most people don't reallly know what they are. A true rock crawler is going to be geared super slow with loads of torque. I for one didn't want that. I wanted a truck that could have the articulating to climb over half decent size rocks and then hammer it when I'm over them and have the truck do a wheelie. My Gecko lets me do all of that. Plus if you stay with the stock cans you can awsome run time.

There are lots of really good chassis conversions out for a clod, however, in my books the Gecko is just a sweeet all around chassis.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz76899.jpg
Views:	783
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	293447   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je99773.jpg
Views:	952
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	293448   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fl18357.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	293449   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fy71808.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	127.4 KB
ID:	293450  
Old 07-04-2005, 10:18 AM
Mr. Furious

Wow! That is beautiful truck! I'm gonna have to look into making me a clod like that
Old 10-08-2005, 03:39 PM
CustomTamiyas4Life
My Feedback: (34)

Do you need a rear lockout kit for 2ws or does the kit come with somethin like that?