Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

Official Nitrous Express Thread

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Official Nitrous Express Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2005, 10:34 PM
SinCityJets

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Official Nitrous Express Thread

Hello, my name is Chad and I have been in RC for 15 years. I have been in a mix of Air, heli, and trucks. I have recently also become interested in racing RC cars. I wanted to start a thread where people could ask questions and get EXPERIENCED answers. I have personally ran/installed this sytem on several vehicles and am putting together some comparison videos.

Let me answer a few common questions:

Q. Do nitrous kits work in R/C vehicles?
A. Absolutely, they are actually the perfect set-up for nitrous injection.

Q. How can nitrous blow my engine up?
A. Nitrous in and of itself cannot "blowup" an engine. Nitrous kits of poor design, poor quality, and improper air/fuel ratios damage engines.

Q. What is the safest way to configure nitrous activation?
A. The only safe way is to use a wide open throttle switch, this is the exact way the Nitrous Express kits are set up. The N2O kit is set up to activate on during WOT, the safest time to activate nitrous.

Q. How long does one bottle of nitro last?
A. The cartridges last for @ 120 seconds of actual WOT activation time. In my experience, they have lasted me 2-3 tanks of fuel.

Q. After I install the kit, can I run my vehicle without nitrous?
A. Absolutely, in fact, with one small easy modification, the solenoid can be completely removed, leaving behind nothing but a switch.

Q. Is nitrous race legal?
A. NO.

Obviously these kits are for the bashers and back-yard racers. THey are a ton of fun and will definitely turn some heads at the track. I welcome your questions.
Old 11-26-2005, 11:10 PM
tonytiger

Default RE: Official Nitrous Express Thread

you dont really need nitrous on a nitro engine....simply going from 20%fuel to 30%fuel will give you the same efect without the added weight of the nitrous system.......its all about oxygen isnt it
Old 11-26-2005, 11:45 PM
SinCityJets

Motopro,

Thank you for the question. Your last post was right about one thing..... it IS all about oxygen. Do not confuse nitromethane and nitrous oxide, they are considerably different both in spelling and chemical make-up. This is a common incorrect thought.

There are three points.

First, nitrous oxide is comprised of 2 parts nitrogen and one part oxygen (36% oxygen by weight). When the nitrous oxide is heated (on compression stroke), it breaks down and release extra oxygen, However, it is not this oxygen alone which creates additional power, but the ability of this oxygen to burn more fuel. By burning more fuel, higher cylinder pressures are created and this is where most of the additional power is realized.

Secondly, as pressurized nitrous oxide is injected into the intake manifold, it changes from a liquid to a gas (boils). This boiling affect reduces the temperature of the nitrous to a minus .127 Degrees F. This "cooling affect" in turn significantly reduces intake charge temperatures by approximately 60-75 Degrees F. This also helps create additional power.

The third point, the nitrogen that was also released during the compression stroke performs an important role. Nitrogen acts to "buff or dampen" the increased cylinder pressures leading to a controlled combustion process.

I promise you, switching to 30% nitro(methane) won't do that.

(I can not take credit for writing the above paragraphs. While I know and understand the process, it was much more timely for me to copy and paste)
Old 11-27-2005, 01:13 AM
killbot420

I live in texas not far from nitrous express and am realy looking forward to the comparison
vids. pm me when you do them
Old 11-27-2005, 07:48 AM
tonytiger

if im not mistaken higher nitro content will carry more oxygen also......thus giving a similar effect(not quite the same) i just question how effective a system could be for a rc car after all how do you regulate fuel pressure...its not like a real car with electric fuel pumps....in my mind the nitrous could cause a lean condition leading to pre mature engine failure
Old 11-27-2005, 11:39 AM
SinCityJets

Motopro,

These are good questions and I am glad you are asking them because these are a lot of the same things people think.

You are right, there are no fuel pumps to regulate fuel pressure, that is good! These nitrous systems are designed to enhance your engines performance, not take it over. The solenoid is pre-set to take in to account an RC vehicle airfilter. It will not run if you try to go direct to carb.

Now, with that in mind, your engine will only take in so much fuel (adjustable by you) and so much air on each stroke, so by not FORCE feeding the N2O, we are not changing the volume of air compared to the volume of fuel taken in. Since the air that IS taken in is very rich in N2O, it will allow the fuel that is also taken in to burn faster. This is due to the higher concentration of O2 in the same volume of air.

As I'm sure you are aware, the air we breath is not 100% O2. There are other gases such as nitrogen, helium, etc. So by changing the O2 content of the same volume of air, we are simply making the air more combustable, NOT introducing more air. It is kind of like when you see football players using oxygen on the sidelines, they are not being force-fed air hoping their lungs dont explode, they are taking in the same volume of air they would normally breathe, just with a higher O2 content.

Now, that is not to say that the increased RPM's won't have an effect on your engine, because they will. But there are things you can do to minimize that, such as setting up the N2O to ONLY run at WOT (how it was designed) and proper care of your engine, like you should anyway. I have used over 50 cartridges on N2O on one of my engines and it has not showed ANY signs of over leaning or loss of compression.

I have attached some photos for you.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16711.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	9.1 KB
ID:	360915   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj26473.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	142.9 KB
ID:	360916   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ag91456.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	360917  
Old 11-27-2005, 03:08 PM
SManMTB

Why are you asking if it works if you're selling it? I think YOU should tell US how it works instead since it looks like you have a kit installed.
Old 11-27-2005, 03:16 PM
SinCityJets

If that comment was for me....I'm NOT asking how it works....I'm answering questions and explaining how it works. Maybe I don't understand your post. You should probably read all the posts before posting replies.
Old 11-27-2005, 03:36 PM
SManMTB

The rain is making my brain hurt.

So, does it work good?
Old 11-27-2005, 04:03 PM
SinCityJets

It works awesome! I am woking on getting some video for you guys.
Old 11-27-2005, 04:41 PM
Engrose

Isn't this thread just commercial advertising?
Old 11-27-2005, 04:48 PM
sh0wtime

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i suppose it has a certain "Novelty value"

probably better suited to monster trucks & bashers rather than Buggy racers but its an open forum

you might get more interest in the monster truck forums though dude
Old 11-27-2005, 05:01 PM
SinCityJets

It is an educational thread. I have read the previous threads about nitrous in R/C and it is almost comical. Kind of like people voting the Hellfire as THE BEST truck out. There is a LOT of MISinformation on this website and I am doing what I can to inject some actual knowledge about one particualr RC item, rather than wasting a reply which holds absolutely no value at all. It's Kind of like asking why someone would bring a post back after 2 years......TO LEARN.

Showtime:
You are absolutely correct. It is novelty value....period. It is not race legal and it will not get you more girls. But it is a funny watching the looks on peoples faces when you zoom right past them all of a sudden. (actually, isn't RC in general for novelty value?)
Old 11-27-2005, 05:13 PM
sh0wtime

i'm not bashing you or your product
BUT seeing as 1/8 buggys are designed primarily for Racing, a "novelty" product would only have limited appeal at best!

i was just offering advice that you'd probably get more interest from the monster truck guys
Old 11-27-2005, 05:16 PM
SinCityJets

Oh, I didn't take it that way at ALL. It's a toy for a toy...Toy to the second power if you will Im not looking for interest, I'm just looking to educate those that are interested.
Old 11-27-2005, 05:55 PM
Super_Dave

Sounds pretty cool. Deffinatly better then a supercharger .

Even though 1/8 buggies were first built purly for racing that can't really be said anymore. With ofnas line of buggies basically 95% of them are built for bashing. There are a whole lot people who buy 1/8 buggies to bash because there so quick and strong. Most people on this forum are into the racing aspect of it but not everyone.

I do think this would be better in the general or engine forums though and not the 1/8 buggy forum. It really has nothing to do with 1/8 buggies.
Old 11-27-2005, 05:57 PM
gotapirateinside

How much is the kit being sold for?
Old 11-27-2005, 06:01 PM
Engrose

ORIGINAL: C2_Hobbies

Engrose: this isn't a commercial advertising thread. It is an educational thread. I have read the previous threads about nitrous in R/C and it is almost comical. Kind of like people voting the Hellfire as THE BEST truck out. There is a LOT of MISinformation on this website and I am doing what I can to inject some actual knowledge about one particualr RC item, rather than wasting a reply which holds absolutely no value at all. It's Kind of like asking why someone would bring a post back after 2 years......TO LEARN.

Showtime:
You are absolutely correct. It is novelty value....period. It is not race legal and it will not get you more girls. But it is a funny watching the looks on peoples faces when you zoom right past them all of a sudden. (actually, isn't RC in general for novelty value?)
Of course this is a commercial advertising thread. You are a dealer of a product that you start a thread about. And the purpose with this thread is to tell people what a great product you sell.

We are not that stupid....

Another thing - it seems like you missed this when you read the rules:

Any current advertiser on RC Universe may post one announcement with product information or news no more than once every week (7 day minimum between announcements)

Any non-advertiser on RC Universe may post one announcement with product information or news no more than once every month

Commercial announcements must be made in one forum only and the forum must be applicable to the topic of the commercial announcement thread
And this:

If you are a manufacturer, vendor, sponsored representative, retailer or the like for an r/c related company or product you must identify yourself in your signature. Any member affiliated with a company not identifying themselves as such is at risk of revocation from RCU. This is identified, but not limited to a member who gains anything financially whether in cash, product, discount or the like.
Old 11-27-2005, 06:24 PM
sh0wtime

ORIGINAL: Super_Dave

Even though 1/8 buggies were first built purly for racing that can't really be said anymore. With ofnas line of buggies basically 95% of them are built for bashing. There are a whole lot people who buy 1/8 buggies to bash because there so quick and strong. Most people on this forum are into the racing aspect of it but not everyone.
the word "Primarily" in this statement pretty much infers all that anyway

seeing as 1/8 buggys are designed primarily for Racing, a "novelty" product would only have limited appeal at best!
we all know racings where its at
Old 11-27-2005, 06:36 PM
SinCityJets

Engrose,

Thank for your insight. You are so knowledgable about everything RC. Do you ever add anything read-worthy in your replies? Im trying to provide a little insight and you have nothing better to do than add your name to the thread. I have received numerous PM's from people thanking me for clarifying N2O use in r/c. Do us all a favor, next time you want to add something, write it in an email and send it to yourself. It will have the same affect on the rest of the forum as your replies do now.

no comment on your "...not that stupid" comment.
Old 11-27-2005, 06:40 PM
Super_Dave

ORIGINAL: sh0wtime

ORIGINAL: Super_Dave

the word "Primarily" in this statement pretty much infers all that anyway

seeing as 1/8 buggys are designed primarily for Racing, a "novelty" product would only have limited appeal at best!
we all know racings where its at
Well something rubbed you the wrong way showtime. The way you say things makes it seem that you expect that almost everyone who has an 1/8 buggy has it only to race it. I'm pretty sure that only about 60% of the people who have buggies have them specifically for racing and of course the other 40% or so use them for bashing and maybe some racing for fun.

Either way by me saying that not everyone races their buggies anymore then thats only supporting your sentence . Though I don't agree with this thread being here the way you put your sentence made it sound like its a bad place to put it. Theres quite a few people on this forum that would probably like having a nitrous system on their buggy. I'd be one of them if I didn't use mine strictly for racing.
Old 11-27-2005, 06:43 PM
Engrose

"Chad"

Apparantly you could use what I wrote, since you added your company name in your signature. So the answer to your question is: Yes.
Old 11-27-2005, 06:47 PM
SinCityJets

I figured you had a problem putting 2 and 2 together.....screen name....dealer name. I'm trying to keep it simple for you.
Old 11-27-2005, 06:52 PM
sh0wtime

Well something rubbed you the wrong way showtime. The way you say things makes it seem that you expect that almost everyone who has an 1/8 buggy has it only to race it
once again = seeing as 1/8 buggys are designed primarily for Racing!

that does not say almost everyone who has a buggy has it only to race! it says (again) 1/8 buggys are designed primarily for Racing!

any better this time?

edit
just yanking your chain Dave, forget about it, its all good
Old 11-27-2005, 06:52 PM
Engrose

I'm sorry, but I don't want to participate in your flaming. I prefer a worthy contender.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.