Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

An Exercise in Patience

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2005, 09:51 PM
beaglegod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default An Exercise in Patience

Being new to the hobby my first impulse when getting my new MGT was to break that puppy in right away,BUT after the ad vice of some of you more seasoned RC guys I tried to exercise some self control and I bit the bullet today and removed the engine from the chassis, removed the air filter/glow plug/pull start/back plate.
Flushed the engine out with fuel a few times, let it dry out and put some after run oil in and turned it over 2 times. Than I sealed the back plate with silicone gasket (the black stuff from permatex) and put all screws back with locktite. Remounted the engine with locktite. Checked and adjusted throttle linkage.

Only problem I ran into was with one of the screws to the backplate which I overtightened to the point where it began to spin again, hopefully the locktite and the pull start that mounts over it will prevent it from backing out. Tomorrow Ill go over the entire chassis and use locktitie on every metal to metal screw,install my failsafe and hopefully I should be ready to go.

All in all I had a good time working on my new truck!

One question: do you think the overtightened screw on the backplate should be a cause for concern? Its not loose but with enough pressure you can continue to turn it indefinitely.Of course that was wile the locktite was still wet but I dont know how secure locktite makes screws.
Old 12-02-2005, 09:08 AM
tashspop
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: An Exercise in Patience

you are for sure more patient than i am. i would bet you won't run into problems with that screw unless you stripped the allen part or phillips(which ever it has) and you need to get it out later on for service. i have a trx 2.5 with all the cooling head bolts stripped and i cant get them out. it was done by the first owner of my truck. there is no way i can think of to get inthere with something else to get them out.
Old 12-02-2005, 10:37 AM
Dale Gribble
My Feedback: (4)

Locktite can make screws very secure- that's it's job. It forms a bond between the threads of the fastener and the threads on the backplate. Just take it as a lesson learned- these thing don't need a lot of torque on the fasteners! A good snug is all you need. It's gonna work just fine.

I am totally impressed, good job- now, when are you gonna actually run it?

Oh, and I wanna see some pictures.
Old 12-02-2005, 04:44 PM
beaglegod

when are you gonna actually run it?

Oh, and I wanna see some pictures.
Hopefully Ill break it in Monday (took the day off from work, Ill try and post a short video![8D]