RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

First Nitro Truck

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 01:43 PM
amwhite2005

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Nitro Truck

Hi

I am about to by a nitro RC truck. I have narrowed the choice down to the Revo and the New Savage X. I was wondering which on was the best to get for:-

Someone New to Nitro RC
Someone who wants to do more jumps and general play (not racing)

Also my Hobby Shop is over 30 minutes away, so the most important thing is that it doesn't need lots of space parts/is breaking down most of the time, as it takes over 1 1/2 hours to get to and from the hobby shop.

Thank You in Advance.
Old 02-07-2006, 02:06 PM
Ken448

Default RE: First Nitro Truck

Savages are known for the beatings they can take. Revo is a fairly tough truck itself. Ive never owned a Savage, but I can tell you I HATE working on them! (worked on a friends a couple times) Revo is pretty simple to work on. Could be easier, but its still easier than the Savage. I would see what the "LHS" carries mosst parts for and go from there whan making your decision. Its no fun to drive an hour and come home with no parts you needed!
Old 02-07-2006, 02:56 PM
jdewolftx
My Feedback: (14)

I just bought a REVO this weekend. I was in the same situation as you the last few weeks. I love the looks of the X but in the end my LHS carries a ton of REVO parts and most importantly, they sell the REVO. It is important to have that support system. I am new to Nitro cars but I have been doing planes and boats for years. Engines are not that tough once you get used to it. I can say that the user documentation for the REVO is very complete. They include a nice DVD that takes you through all the break-in and maintanence procedures. I am sure that the SAVAGE will be awesome and who knows, I may just end up getting one of those as well.

Good luck and don't get thrown off by all the banter that is thrown around in this forum. They are both great and you will have fun no matter what.

-jdewolftx
Old 02-07-2006, 05:15 PM
quickster47

Another one you might give some serious consideration to is the Tamiya TNX. Great running, fast, easy to work on and simple.
Old 02-07-2006, 06:04 PM
RenegadeRevo
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: quickster47

Another one you might give some serious consideration to is the Tamiya TNX. Great running, fast, easy to work on and simple.
and... much more difficult to get parts for than others...
Old 02-07-2006, 07:28 PM
Ken448

ORIGINAL: REVOFAMILY

again, it depends on what his LHS carries. Maybe they DO carry Tamiya parts and no Traxxas parts????
Old 02-07-2006, 07:40 PM
SublimeJason
Banned

ORIGINAL: Ken448

again, it depends on what his LHS carries. Maybe they DO carry Tamiya parts and no Traxxas parts????
I Agree!
One of the Shops close to me Deals with 90% Tamiya and Most of that is On-Road....
Old 02-07-2006, 08:35 PM
Mekong

What ever you do dont get a warhead, I got mine when it first came out, my first nitro, I havent been able to run more than 1/2 tank through the thing because there have been so many problems.
Old 02-07-2006, 09:26 PM
RenegadeRevo

That's true... but the BIGGEST complaint I've heard about the TNX is it's local parts support.... if your LHS supports it... great... ThermalRD has an interesting opinion about it... perhaps he would be a good one to ask... I don't know much about it.. other than a friend down the street had one... and couldn't get parts easily... I've never seen it run, nor have I really experienced it... but Thermal has....
Old 02-07-2006, 09:28 PM
Ken448

sadly, Thermal doesnt even have local parts support for his LOL (I race with him and all his off the wall truck selections)
Old 02-07-2006, 09:30 PM
RenegadeRevo

sadly, Thermal doesnt even have local parts support for his LOL (I race with him and all his off the wall truck selections)
LOL... I've seen many TNX owners talking about local support... I'm not downing the TNX... I've HEARD it's a great truck... but ... NONE of my LHS's support it... *shrug*
Old 02-08-2006, 02:31 AM
amwhite2005

Thanks for the thoughts guys...

The cars my LHS stocks are

Losi LST2
Revo
Savage (all models)
T-Maxx
CEN Fun Factor
CEN Genesis

The CEN Genesis and Losi LST2 are slightly out of budget range, but apart from that, I've got the choice out of either of them.
Old 02-08-2006, 11:32 PM
A1Viper

Out of that list, you may want to think about the T-MAXX. There's a TON of aftermarket parts for it, all Hobby Shops seem to support it very well, and it's easy to work on. It's a good truck, not as race worthy as the REVO, and not as good of a basher as Savage, but it's a nice truck and you'll be able to get parts for it real easy.
Old 02-08-2006, 11:38 PM
MBX5T Maniac
My Feedback: (-1)

Viper, the T-maxx needs that aftermarket support. That's why it's so big. It's an old, outdated, and weak design that Traxxas should have long ago discontinued. Not as race-worthy as a revo? Lol. It's not even close. I'd bet more money on a Savage racing vs a t-maxx. BAshing? You'll need to throw in around 1k of money into it to make sure it won't break one thing or another. Bulkheads suck, a-arms are weak. You will break the thing everytime you run it stock, if you jump it, even on the smallest of jumps. Stupid thing.

Go LST 2 and Revo!