Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

ofna dominator w/ rex p5????

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 11:36 PM
dingo1799

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ofna dominator w/ rex p5????

i just bought this thing from a guy i work with cuz he needed money. are ofna's almost impossible to find parts for? im not having much luck. it runs pretty crappy, but i think its because he has no clue what he's did/done/doing to it, first look seems like everything is in place, and nothing major broken, one of the rear cva's popped out and beat itself up a little, i straightened it and put it back in, and then a front cva popped out, but im pretty sure that came from the cva cup not being out on the differential shaft far enough, but i think the majority of the problem is carb adjustment, maintenance, and a GOOD cleaning. this thing is FILTHY. as its new father, i've been an auto mechanic for the last 10-15 years, is there anyplace online that i can get diagrams, fluid specs/recommendations for this poor thing? im not a racer, and i dont plan on tearing it up, i just want to be able to tear it down, check it out, make sure its together as good as its supposed to be.... any help/ideas/input? i'm pretty sure this thing is over-engined BAD, but i'm gonna try to make do
Old 04-21-2006, 11:52 PM
dingo1799

Default RE: ofna dominator w/ rex p5????

Old 04-22-2006, 12:20 AM
RCtruckRacer

Nitrohouse probably has the parts. They are either an umbrella company of OFNA, or they are the distributor. I buy Thunder Tiger parts from them and when they call me with a question about an order my caller ID shows the name as OFNA. If they dont show what you need, call them. I bet they can get whatever you need.
[link=http://www.nitrohouse.com]NITROHOUSE[/link]
Old 04-22-2006, 07:35 PM
86atrack4

About the only problem i ever had with my dominator was the frt,and rr diffs when u insp make sure u shim the diffs so theres no play(back lash).they are very strong but,if theres play they'll strip. the truck is very tough and doesn't break easy.Its funny u have a dominator with a rex P5 and i have mine with a top P5,well i had i since took the engine out and i'm really not doing anything with the truck.
Old 04-23-2006, 02:11 AM
dingo1799

ORIGINAL: 86atrack4

About the only problem i ever had with my dominator was the frt,and rr diffs when u insp make sure u shim the diffs so theres no play(back lash).they are very strong but,if theres play they'll strip. the truck is very tough and doesn't break easy.Its funny u have a dominator with a rex P5 and i have mine with a top P5,well i had i since took the engine out and i'm really not doing anything with the truck.
i spent about an hour today messin with it, i tried to fire it up a couple times, no luck. it'd spin over, fire up and idle, soon as i give it any gas or take the glow starter off it'd crap out n die. i think maybe the almost dead battery in the glow starter had something to do with it, but im also thinkin that dude had no clue how to set a carb. any tips on what your carb adjustments are/were set at to give me an idea where to start? the cap on the gas tank isnt holding full pressure, but i'd say probably 2/3-3/4. im not even gonna mess with it, a new tank is only $11, and it kinda looks like its about ready to leak anyway. i think a trip to the hobby shop is in order for a bunch of carb o-rings, just to be on the safe side.
Old 04-23-2006, 10:47 AM
86atrack4

First make sure the engine still has compression, to me it sound like the engine may be shot.just spin the fly wheel with the glow plug installed, if its easy then the engine is toast.my hsn is set around 3.5 out from closed and the lsn is flush with the carb slide.another thing u might want to check is the clutch,bearings,this can also be a problem.
Old 04-23-2006, 11:34 AM
dingo1799

yea, its still got compression, its pretty stiff to turn over fast with my hands, the clutch shoes n springs were just replaced in it, although, i'd like to put a whole new carb on it, and a piston and sleeve and break it in so i'd know that it was done right... like i said before, i dont think it was taken care of, the kid didnt know his &*% from a hole in the ground.
Old 04-23-2006, 09:07 PM
86atrack4

I would say,your going to tear down the truck anyway to check it out,just tear down the engine and see if its something major,if not I would pull the carb apart and clean it up,a small piece of dirt could be causing your carb problem.
I haven't made my mind up yet but,I might be willing to let my dom go for pretty cheap.Its got the center diff, frt n rr cvd's, carbon fiber servo tray, the 7075 drag link,and HD srings.
The truck has seen the track quiet a few times,and its been a great.if your intrested let me know if not no big deal.