Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

Tower Hobbies Nitro TOWER Terror MT .25 RTR

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Tower Hobbies Nitro TOWER Terror MT .25 RTR

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 03:07 PM
Missing Pieces

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tower Hobbies Nitro TOWER Terror MT .25 RTR

I see that everyone has come to the same conclusion as I have, and stated many times brefore, this truck kicks butt, with a decent motor in it. One note, on putting the Axial 28 in it. I had to take the dremel out, and grind out the mototr mount a little so the motor would sit all the way down into it, and if you swap the collet from the tower motor to the axial, the flywhell isn't a problem.

Well, I got a box of parts in the mail today, so I'm going to wrench. I'll have a vid up soon of my truck. I'll try to show something nutz, but I don't know what yet. I can say for sure I'm not going to be jumping any houses. LOL
Old 10-16-2007, 11:58 PM
BudBud

I am waiting on parts! my advice is not to wheelie into big rocks..... It is tough on front wheels and shocks. These hinge pins and A arms must be tougher than heck!

I just missed one on ebay by a few seconds. He may have stll won it at just a little more money.

I hope to pick up two more of these. I want to give one to my oldest son next month for his birthday. BB
Old 10-17-2007, 09:15 AM
turbojimmy

Here's an admittedly crappy video I did with my new BoosterVision camera. It has a lot of potential, but I read the instructions AFTER I made the video. Evidently I need to adjust the antenna, use a fresh battery in the camera (versus the one I found in the junk drawer) and foucs the lens. Also becuase I did it in my back yard there's some interference from other 2.4Ghz devices (wireless routers, phones, etc.). But, again, I think there's some potential for some good videos....up until the point where I roll the truck and demolish the camera.

Here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hT-i79WoB50

Jim
Old 10-17-2007, 10:59 PM
rthompson1228

hey bud, I should be getting mine back sometime soon, would you consider a trade or a trade with some $$ for a like new terror recently returned from hobby services.... I know you said you have 2 savages..... let me know what you think about this or email me if you think this could be worthwhile for both of us somehow email is ross thompson 12 28 at aol, we migt be able to work something out, maybe if a trade isn't what your looking for throw an offer at me.
Old 10-20-2007, 07:48 AM
Gashouse Gorilla

So after the last time I ran my TT, I noticed my whole carb assembly was spinning when I gave it throttle. I figured this was a sure sign of an airleak. I bought some high temp. RTV to seal my carb. I removed the carb and applied a thin layer of RTV around the base of the carb and reinstalled. I pushed the carb down as hard as I felt comfortable without causing damage. The carb still spun and pulled out freely, so I figured I would just let it sit for the night with the RTV to cure and that would take care of it. I got up this morning and checked it first thing. The carb still spins and pulls out with little effort. What is going on? I don't see any set screws to hold it in place. What am I missing? Can anyone help?
Old 10-20-2007, 08:11 AM
BudBud

Normally their is a set screw that goes through the cylinder block and pinches the carb in place. There should also be an 0-ring on the carb. If it is that free to move, you probably have an air leak that causes tuning agonies and high head temperatures. I sold the engine off of mine, but I have not run across a recent manufactured engine that does not have both. Hope that helps, you should be able to find the screw, nut that goes in the opposite side of the case and o-ring on Tower's site. BB

[link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXNFU8&P=Z]Set Screw[/link]

They do not list a carb o-ring for the Terror engine.

The Hpi [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXJYV0&P=PU]set[/link] will probably have the right sized o-ring. BB
Old 10-20-2007, 09:00 AM
turbojimmy

ORIGINAL: Gashouse Gorilla

So after the last time I ran my TT, I noticed my whole carb assembly was spinning when I gave it throttle. I figured this was a sure sign of an airleak. I bought some high temp. RTV to seal my carb. I removed the carb and applied a thin layer of RTV around the base of the carb and reinstalled. I pushed the carb down as hard as I felt comfortable without causing damage. The carb still spun and pulled out freely, so I figured I would just let it sit for the night with the RTV to cure and that would take care of it. I got up this morning and checked it first thing. The carb still spins and pulls out with little effort. What is going on? I don't see any set screws to hold it in place. What am I missing? Can anyone help?
It's junk - send it back. They'll send you a new engine. The pinch screw that holds the carb in place doesn't work once the carb separates from the ring to which it's attached. Mine did the same thing. No amount of RTV or JB Weld would hold it for very long.

Jim
Old 10-20-2007, 09:54 AM
BudBud

My opinion is clear. The Tower 25 is junk, just replace the engine and servos to get a great truck. [8D] Send the servos in, they have been replacing them with Futaba servos. With decent servos and a healthy engine, these trucks are a riot. BB
Old 10-20-2007, 10:39 AM
aleknocker

Maybe mine is an exception, but my .25 runs GREAT, always has. I have had problems with steering servo, replaced with Hobbico high torque bb, the clutch bearings froze after maybe 8 tanks, but other than that I love it. Also have a Warhead Evo and it has it's share of minor problems also, but it's nowhere as fun as the TT. My girlfriend wants one now so she can do wheelies too.
Old 10-20-2007, 10:43 AM
aleknocker

I forgot obout the one way bearing going bad also, Tower is out of stock for the TT, but they have them in stock for other engines that use the same one. HPI 21 for example.
Old 10-20-2007, 05:49 PM
Gashouse Gorilla

BB thanks for the help. I did see that set screw earlier but no matter how much I tightened it, same result. After reading your response I tried tightening it again and it seemed to help. I thought that was the trick until my second tank. It ran like a champ the first tank and the second was a different story. The carb seemed to work itself loose and turn during the run. It locked the servo at full throttle. Luckily it was heading right at me so it could flip it with my foot. I was able to pinch the fuel line to shut it down. During the second run my servos were acting up. I came home and ripped the engine and both servos out. I'm going to send it into Tower on Monday. I'll let them try to figure it out or hopefully get a new engine. It killed me to knowing that I wasn't going to be able to run it for awhile but want to make sure it will be covered by the warranty. For what it is worth.... yeah I'm a little dissapointed I won't be able to bash for a bit, I still love this truck. It is a complete Monster, I have bashed the crap out of this thing and it keeps coming back for more. I must admit that I have had my eye on the Axial .28. I just have to convince the wife.
Old 10-20-2007, 07:56 PM
turbojimmy

ORIGINAL: Gashouse Gorilla

I must admit that I have had my eye on the Axial .28. I just have to convince the wife.
Do it. It's the most fun you'll have with your clothes on.

Jim
Old 10-20-2007, 10:40 PM
rthompson1228

as suprised as I am, tower actually gave me full credit on my truck........ thanks for vryone's help/suggestions..... now all I need to do is figure out what to spend the tower credit on without goin overboard..... any suggestions? RELIABILITY, durability-- only two major concerns...

bud, sorry- I didn't think they would give me credit so that means no trade or sale.... a real stand up company in my opinion!
Old 10-20-2007, 11:59 PM
BudBud

rthompson: No problem, I like running the Savages and they are really tough trucks. I have been looking at a Hellfire as my next one. I am glad they stood behind their product for you.

turbojimmy: I second that, I am not sure an Axial is the only engine to establish the big grin. 8^) I am really itching to try that 32, but the 4.6 does wheelies for a block.

Gashouse Gorilla: I like your handle! 8^) I originally bought the Hpi 4.6 because they were cheaper. I also have an Axial 28 that I have not fired and an Axial 32 that I have to say is a real horse!

We were at Devil's Tower Wyoming yesterday and spent the night in Rapid City South Dakota last night, we drove south through the badlands and headed home through the sand hills of Nebraska. All the way, I was hoping my Terror parts would be here, natta!! 8^O Oh nooooooooo!! I now have to hope for Monday! 8^)

On the positive side, I have a spare body and a full set of tires and wheels that I bought off of ebay on the bench. They arrived today! I am a shock absorber away from bashing, maybe a piece of plastic with a couple of holes in it to hold the front suspension in place? Who needs shocks on a truck that primarily runs on its back tires? 8^D

Old 10-21-2007, 07:34 AM
turbojimmy

Here's what we're doing with the new .25 I got from Tower. It's an old Traxxas Maximum ST. The .16 engine on it was tired so we jammed the .25 on it. It has an upgraded 2-speed transmission and steel rear gears. It should be a handful.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11689.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	787084   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf12079.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	787085   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af90724.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	787086  
Old 10-21-2007, 11:53 AM
BudBud

I'll bet it will be a handful! The run times will be considerably shorter on that small fuel tank. If your 25 is like mine was though, that is all the fuel you will need for a full day's frustration. Best of luck to you with it.

Providing the other end follows through, I am a two Terror owner now. I picked one up on ebay for 208 dollars, freight included. I have an Axial 28 and a pair of Savage servos waiting. Anybody in need of a spare 25? I do not plan to even try to start it. Buy at your own risk, reported to run..... from their ad....

Tower Terror RTR

You are bidding on a RTR Tower Terror from Tower Hobbies. This is a 1/10 scale truck with big block .25 engine. The engine has not been broken in yet, as I have only run one tank of fuel. It comes complete RTR needing only batteries, glow starter, and fuel. Note: The tires do not come with foam inserts from the factory.

BB
Old 10-22-2007, 06:58 AM
soulja55

what's up guys? haven't heard from me in a while huh? well i'm still here. my friend and i went to the halloween bash at GraveDigger's Dungeon and HPI was there. it was awesome seeing all the trucks....especially the first Grave Digger! it was something seeing my old hero...bought shed a tear. My buddy entered the freestyle with his terror and broke a dogbone, but he was the only terror out there. people couldn't figure out what it was cuz he's change it so much!

****NEWS*****

HPI will be releasing a "Grave Robber" body which is a hearse!!! I HAVE ONE!!! It is one of the baddest bodies that I have seen!! it would lokk NASTY one the terror. I can't decide which one of my trucks i am gonna put it on, but he's the preview of the body and YOU GUYS GET TO SEE IT FIRST!!!! don't know when it is gonna be released......but i bought TWO!!!

Name:	Rp42201.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	164.3 KB
ID:	787913  
Old 10-22-2007, 02:47 PM
BudBud

That is kind of cool! It would be a great basher body for the Terror. Classic black and chrome.

I answered and ad one time for a Cadillac Sedan Delivery as I had never seen one. My friend brought me back to reality, when he told me it was probably a hearse. I think it was a 1941 model, anyway, it had some really cool lines. I was thinking Big Block Chevrolet and an automatic transmission. I was driving a 1936 Chevrolet with a 350/350 combination at the time.

These R/C cars are much cheaper to maintain and build than a street rod and just as much or more fun too! One day, I'll probably build another street rod, I am thinking a 1932 Ford Roadster with a flathead V8 is sounding kind of cool. Not the biggest performer in the world, but definitely neat sounding and cool to look at.

My parts just arrived! Time to go fire up the Terror again! BB
Old 10-22-2007, 05:19 PM
turbojimmy

ORIGINAL: BudBud

These R/C cars are much cheaper to maintain and build than a street rod and just as much or more fun too!
Cheaper yes, more fun I dunno.

Here's a comparison of my hot rod costs this year against what they would have cost for the truck:

Grand National vs. Tower Terror
$320/pair for Drag radials vs. $16.99/pair for truck tires
$450 for a downpipe vs. $15.99 for a tuned pipe
$1,000 for headers vs. $9.99 for an exhaust manifold
$1,000 for a torque converter vs. $7.99 for a clutch shoe kit
$500 for an aluminum radiator vs. $29.99 for an air-cooled head

The only place the GN has the TT beat is with fuel:
$6.50/gallon for 100 octane unleaded vs. $40/gallon for nitro fuel
When you mix in denatured alcohol @ $15/gallon for the GN it starts to even up.

Both vehicles frustrate the daylights out of me but both are fun to play with. Right now the TT works and the GN doesn't.....

Jim
Old 10-22-2007, 06:23 PM
BudBud

My last project car was a 468 powered 65 Malibu... Edlebrock heads, Crower Roller cam, Competition Cams lifters, pushrods and rockers, Crane valve springs and retainers, Edlebrock water pump, Dual roller timing chain, MSD ignition, Edlebrock intake, 950 Holley intake, Hedmann Headers, 3" Flowmaster exhaust, that just gets the air in and out, we still had transmission work, rear axle, suspension, the list goes on and on. I had over 10,000 dollars in it before I ever bolted the block to a transmission bell. The more you think, the more you remember! I was always afraid of losing my job over the car or somebody stealing it. Even worse, a car fire taking my baby away. With 4.10 gears, it was a blast to drive, no wheelies, but some outrageous black marks. BB

Bad news on the TT today, both chassis plates are bent. I found a set on ebay and bought them along with a complete set of A-arms. I fired it and it did not take long to figure out the drive train was bound up. Another few days of anxiety. I should tear it down and see if the center bones are bent..... I'll go pound the 32 Savage I guess. BB
Old 10-22-2007, 06:55 PM
turbojimmy

ORIGINAL: BudBud

My last project car was a 468 powered 65 Malibu... Edlebrock heads, Crower Roller cam, Competition Cams lifters, pushrods and rockers, Crane valve springs and retainers, Edlebrock water pump, Dual roller timing chain, MSD ignition, Edlebrock intake, 950 Holley intake, Hedmann Headers, 3" Flowmaster exhaust, that just gets the air in and out, we still had transmission work, rear axle, suspension, the list goes on and on. I had over 10,000 dollars in it before I ever bolted the block to a transmission bell. The more you think, the more you remember! I was always afraid of losing my job over the car or somebody stealing it. Even worse, a car fire taking my baby away. With 4.10 gears, it was a blast to drive, no wheelies, but some outrageous black marks. BB

Bad news on the TT today, both chassis plates are bent. I found a set on ebay and bought them along with a complete set of A-arms. I fired it and it did not take long to figure out the drive train was bound up. Another few days of anxiety. I should tear it down and see if the center bones are bent..... I'll go pound the 32 Savage I guess. BB
Both are expensive labors of love, there's no question. I've replaced everything on both vehicles twice. The TT is my first nitro truck and I'm always amazed to see that the principles that apply to the big car apply to the little one too.

Jim
Old 10-24-2007, 06:52 AM
devo208

well heres my tt, towers engine aint sht so i had to replace it with a O.S. 21vg

Name:	Nl29512.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	789468  
Old 10-24-2007, 07:15 AM
BudBud

How does the OS 21 do with the truck? I have one of those, but thought it was probably on the small side for the Terror. BB
Old 10-25-2007, 06:43 PM
silverman1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got engine problems, I sealed her up real nice before ever running, set the needles to factory specs, got through break in okay. The weather got about 20 degree cooler and I had to richen up the low spd screw because i was getting a mid range bogg. Took her out today simalar weather conditions but just wants to crap out transitoning from low to mid range. I tried richening up the low end and the high end needles and it was not much better wants to stall and die. I tuned each screw individually in small increments

In a final attempt last ditch effort, I set everything back to OE specs, and put in a new tower glow plug. Runs a little better but still has that mid range bogg, again i tried richening up the low spd screw, and eventually got pissed and said screw it. This motor starts real nice and idles well, except for that mid range crap. Id like to run this motor, but if its going to be a major pain in the ass to tune everytime out, I got a new Mach .26 sitting in the basement, has anyone ever tried dropping one of these in, it should be easy enough.

i'll appreciate your feedback
Old 10-25-2007, 06:59 PM
turbojimmy

ORIGINAL: silverman1

I've got engine problems, I sealed her up real nice before ever running, set the needles to factory specs, got through break in okay. The weather got about 20 degree cooler and I had to richen up the low spd screw because i was getting a mid range bogg. Took her out today simalar weather conditions but just wants to crap out transitoning from low to mid range. I tried richening up the low end and the high end needles and it was not much better wants to stall and die. I tuned each screw individually in small increments

In a final attempt last ditch effort, I set everything back to OE specs, and put in a new tower glow plug. Runs a little better but still has that mid range bogg, again i tried richening up the low spd screw, and eventually got pissed and said screw it. This motor starts real nice and idles well, except for that mid range crap. Id like to run this motor, but if its going to be a major pain in the ass to tune everytime out, I got a new Mach .26 sitting in the basement, has anyone ever tried dropping one of these in, it should be easy enough.

i'll appreciate your feedback
Welcome to .25 TT hell. If you look back at my posts you'd see I could never get the thing to run right. It would either idle or go like stink at the top end - never anything in between. There is no transition between idle and high speed.

My feedback? Put a different engine on it. ANY other engine. You'll be glad you did. I've said it before but the truck is an absolute blast (a Terror, if I may) with a decent running engine. I run tank after tank after tank through the Axial .28 with no complaints. Yeah, the truck will vomit out a dogbone shaft once in awhile but all in all I love it this way.

Jim

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.