Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Need input on the Savage....

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2006, 03:02 PM
DahlELama

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need input on the Savage....

I havent been into the RC scene for over 20 years and decided to get back into it because now I have kids (good excuse eh).

I went down to the LHS this morning and they had a used Savage on consignment (not the X model). Just so happens that the guy who owned it was there as well. He's more of a electric guy so he hadnt run it much (it has been run plenty though). He had just added the 3 speed gearbox, a 1400ma(?) receiver and it also has a .26 Picco engine. He tossed in everything including the radio, temp monitor and some other stuff. All for $250. I think that sounds like a pretty good deal based on what I have read here and also that entry level stuff like the Redcat may still be shaking out some serious issues.

Anywho... I'd love some input on this thing. Seems that the folks on this board are pretty serious and know thier stuff.

1. Think it was a good deal?
2. What are things to keep an eye on or replace immediately?
3. Should I get a failsafe? Sounds like it.
4. Tuning?

I know there is a lot of info on this site about these but I started a new thread to keep the information I wanted in one place. It also makes it easier as there are some base threads in this place that are tooooooo long to read to get some concise info.

Any comments are welcome.

Thanks!
e.
Old 05-27-2006, 06:07 PM
Dawman
My Feedback: (33)

Default RE: Need input on the Savage....

Sounds like a good deal to me ! For sure get a failsafe , never know if it will take off . The engine is easy to tune and stays tuned . The savage is one of the toughest trucks available . I never cared for the three speed trany and put the original back in . I beat the heck out of my savage and only broke the caster blocks .
Old 05-28-2006, 12:46 AM
DadtoaMarine

It sounds like a steal at 250.00. I would think a similiar truck on eBay would go for well over 350.00. As for the 3 speed I have one in my Savage and I love it. They are all metal gears and has a 10% lower first gear and 10% more on the high gear then the 2 speed. This gives you more bottom end thump and a little more top end speed. Without the 3 speed my Maxx would runaway from the Savage. With it the Savage can catch the Maxx in about 50-60' then pull away from it on the top side.
Old 05-28-2006, 12:41 PM
DahlELama

I am smiling ear to ear...

I put the failsafe on last night and did a run through on tightening things, reading up on starting nitro motors etc. I started it up this morning and this thing RIPS! Pretty tough too as I have rolled it a few times already. I love that 3spd tranny.

It didnt want to start after I ran a tank of gas out of it and I think I was flooding it. I put in a new glowplug and BAM! fired right up.

The starting routine is a bit of a drag though. I use my drill and a hand held ignitor. I think I will get one of those combo igngtor starter things. Spendy but I think over time will be worth it.

Anyone use one of those RDLogics Twin Pipes? It looks cool. $70 clams though. Any thoughts?

e.
Old 05-28-2006, 01:12 PM
DahlELama

Old 05-28-2006, 05:51 PM
Industry

Very nice truck you got there
Old 05-28-2006, 06:07 PM
PillowPants

Get a lot of spare shock rods.. My little brother is constantly replacing those! And a few spur gears..
Old 06-01-2006, 10:37 PM
DahlELama

Update:
Buying used... unless you really know what you are getting into.... can be a hassle. After about 5 tanks o' gas through this thing it started idling really fast... then slow.. then fast... then die (repeat). It also started wobbling really bad when I took off. I shut it down and checked it out. This thing is really kinda roached... been driven hard. Many screws had fallen out and the motor plate was only barely holding on. that explains the erratic idle. As the motor ran and reved up it torqued over and would open the carb. I tore it down (which is actually part of the fun) and made a list. Between the LHS and eBay I have dumped another $180 clams into this thing to get it back right and replace things that simply were worn out. Oh... the aluminum shocks were 'just because'. Dual disc brake was the way to go. One of the biggest hassles is that one of the wheels was stripped out (hex). I found out I cant just buy one wheel and re-use the tire (I'm a newbie to these things). So I bought a set of bowties and a full set of rims.

I'll have it back together as soon as the eBay doods ship my gear.

e.