Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

First Time Kit Builder

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 02:09 PM
Raylon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Time Kit Builder

This will be my first real experience with RC Cars, I have used toys in past but nothing 'real'. I want to get a monster truck style RC. I want a kit version because I want to use a custom Tx, and not the cheapies that they normally send you. I also want a kit so I can build everything myself, and really get to know the mechanics of the truck. I was hoping there wasa kit that had all the things needed to complete the truck except for the Tx and Rx and servos. I have a budget of about $500. ANy suggestions?
Old 06-26-2006, 02:47 PM
dustin7837
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: First Time Kit Builder

There arent to many build it yourself kits out there, but if you want a nice 4wd MT, I would reccomend the Savage SS 4.6.

http://www.hpiracing.com/index2.htm
Old 06-26-2006, 02:52 PM
Raylon

Hmm, it sass discontinued on Tower Hobbies. What kind of radio gear would work well. I was thinking of something FM, 3 channel, I do not want Spektrum because I will probably use the radio for my boat also, and they are known to not work well with boats.
Old 06-26-2006, 02:57 PM
snowbl!nd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Or for something a little smaller (and cheaper) how about the HPI MT2 18ss? http://www.hpiracing.com/kits/kitMain.php?partNo=10441
Old 06-26-2006, 03:01 PM
Raylon

That also looks good, more in the price range I wanted. What about the XS3 Pro Synth FM Radio. It looks like a real good radio, but price is kinda steep. I picked it because of model memory, any better suggestions?
Old 06-26-2006, 03:06 PM
snowbl!nd

I have the JR xs3 (not pro) - very good radio with lots of features. I especially like the "lap timer" function, allows me to time my own laps when racing... Plus, no more crystals to worry about.
Old 06-26-2006, 03:11 PM
Raylon

Is this one you have?

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...odID=JRP334275
Old 06-26-2006, 03:21 PM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Though I'm sure the MT2 SS is a cool little car(if you only ever drive on a BMX track..), I can't stress enough how much better a bigger 1/8 MT is.. They are so much more versatile, cuz you can drive on so many more types of terrain.. In grass for example, you'll have difficulties in any but the shortest with the MT2. With MT's you can just drive in so many more kinds of terrain, and that counts a lot.. In my personal opinion, trucks like the MT2 are worthless unless you have a very specific kind of surface you plan to run on - regularly... With an MT drive where you want. If you want a kit, pay the extra 100 bucks or whatever, and get an MT - you'll be glad you did..
Old 06-26-2006, 03:35 PM
snowbl!nd

This is the one i have - 40Mhz version with 2 standard servos. Heck i even have two of the things now (and 4 brand new usused servos...) http://www.rccaraction.com/articles/jr_xs3.asp
Old 06-26-2006, 05:04 PM
Raylon

Patrick
I kinda figured this, so I decided it would be worth the money to have it. I will drive in my backyard which is one acre, and I have a lot of rock roads at my vacation house to run at. Would this be the correct kit for the MT?

http://h1070250.hobbyshopnow.com/pro...sp?prod=HPI861
Old 06-26-2006, 06:15 PM
Raylon

I just saw the instruction booklet for the SS 4.6. Would it be too complicated for a newbie liek myself?
Old 06-26-2006, 07:58 PM
dustin7837
My Feedback: (1)

If you are at all mechanically inclined, you will have very few troubles. I see you have a few E flites and your pic is a Seadoo, so I am assuming that you are fairly competent, in a mechanical sense at least

Plus there are always forums if you need help!
Old 06-26-2006, 08:29 PM
Raylon

ORIGINAL: dustin7837

your pic is a Seadoo
Ew...that is an insult. Ha, just messin with ya, I have nuttin against Sea-doo's, I just prefer Yamaha's. It's kinda like a Chevy or Ford kinda thing. Yea I reade the instruction in PDF format a little more and they are really well written. Also, on the link to the truck, it says it won't be in for a while, and the Savage X SS 4.6 kit isn't even on the HPI website. Is it a truck not realeased yet?

http://h1070250.hobbyshopnow.com/pro...sp?prod=HPI861
Old 06-26-2006, 10:32 PM
Savage_OWNS

if your gonna get a monster, go with the savage ss 4.6 or even a jammin' by ofna (truggy) but whatever you get, USE LOCKTITE!! losing screws is a pain in the ass so use locktite on just about every screw.......oh and dont get an mt2 they break too easy and parts arent supported enough. but get spectrum or sensor for the electronics, theyre at the top of their game, and any high torque servo over 80 oz/in will do pretty good, also get a receiver pack and charger its worth it. rc driver actually posts alot of beginners tips in their mag's, u might want to check it out.
Old 06-26-2006, 10:51 PM
Raylon

Yea I believe I'm probably gunna go with the Savage X SS 4.6. It will be available in August I think. I probably will have my job at my local HS by then, too. I don't want to use Spektrum because it is alittle too new and have heard of bad ranges on boats which I will be using the radio for also. The Hitec SRX looks to be a good radio, anyone recommend this radio?
Old 06-28-2006, 01:20 AM
badboy2
My Feedback: (13)

spektrum is a good choice u dont need to worry about frequency..and yes savage x ss is a good choice for monster truck kit..
Old 06-28-2006, 05:55 AM
duckedup

The Savage XSS looks like a good pick ...... I personally haven't heard any bad things about the spektrum and the one I was checking out on ebay came with an extra receiver which are pretty spendy, seems like it would be a good pick for your wants. Also, I thought the spektrum had longer range than any others, is that not true?
Old 06-28-2006, 11:13 AM
Raylon

I heard from a couple boat guys that it only had a range of about 200 feet and it would cut out.