Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

Review in Progress: CEN Racing GST 7.7

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Review in Progress: CEN Racing GST 7.7

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2006, 08:44 AM
gkcontra

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Review in Progress: CEN Racing GST 7.7

This was also on the genesis LE and previous versions I think, for the new GST and Nemesis I thought they changed the carb, crank and porting to help solve the issues you are talking about. I have now run mine a bit more and the tune is consistant throughout the day.
Old 12-15-2006, 11:56 AM
FE_Chris
My Feedback: (2)

I had a Genesis for a while. I used to have problems stripping 2nd pinion gear. No idea why. I tightened the gear mesh like A.S. says to do and nothing worked. That turned me off. The second thing was, I could get the engine running....But it ran HOT like 275-300+ hot and STILL would not develop a lot of power. If I leaned it, it would bog. Engine was sealed tight too. You know the wheelie machines you guys talk about this truck being? Mine would barley do a wheelie. Although I could get the 3-speed working no problem. I liked the 2 shifts. Real cool. MT Novelty's are great.

BUT. I loved it. It was huge and I had 10 integy alloy shocks on her. It handled GREAT. Soacked up the bumps like nothing. I had her out on the track ONCE. I could not get the genesis going fast enough to make the jumps. Crappy.

So I am going to keep up on this thread. ThermalRD knows I dig big and heavy "heffer" size trucks so if this turns out to be a good one, maybe i'll scoop this instead of a wimpy savage x-ss for a basher. hehe.
Old 12-15-2006, 01:22 PM
Misbehavin

No, i can tune it to perform. Every few minutes that changes though. And requires tuning. There was a decent thread in the CEN forum, with alot of talk of this. Some guys were working on some fixes. I simply set mine down, rather than get frustrated with it. I could try to dig up the thread, if you wanna check it out.
The only thing along those lines I notced before was the tune changed some throughout the tank of fuel. It was never major, at least not to me, and nothing more than I've experienced with other vehicles with large tanks. The Savage comes to mind.

I do know that the engine and carb have been redesigned for the GST. These changes were specifically made to enhance power and ease of tuning.

I used to have problems stripping 2nd pinion gear. No idea why. I tightened the gear mesh like A.S. says to do and nothing worked.
You're probably aware of the softer gears found on the earlier runs of the Genesis. Even if not, the replacements should have been hardened and not had that issue. Could the issue possibly be that the engine is sitting at a slight angle? That would prevent the gears from making full contact. You may have already considered this, but I though I'd throw it out there.
Old 12-15-2006, 01:29 PM
FE_Chris
My Feedback: (2)

You know, the engine was sitting at a ver slight angle downward, like twords the front of the truck. Must have happened during a hard landing or something. wow.....I guess that could have been it. It was very very slight, so I never really considered it.

ORIGINAL: Misbehavin

No, i can tune it to perform. Every few minutes that changes though. And requires tuning. There was a decent thread in the CEN forum, with alot of talk of this. Some guys were working on some fixes. I simply set mine down, rather than get frustrated with it. I could try to dig up the thread, if you wanna check it out.
The only thing along those lines I notced before was the tune changed some throughout the tank of fuel. It was never major, at least not to me, and nothing more than I've experienced with other vehicles with large tanks. The Savage comes to mind.

I do know that the engine and carb have been redesigned for the GST. These changes were specifically made to enhance power and ease of tuning.

I used to have problems stripping 2nd pinion gear. No idea why. I tightened the gear mesh like A.S. says to do and nothing worked.
You're probably aware of the softer gears found on the earlier runs of the Genesis. Even if not, the replacements should have been hardened and not had that issue. Could the issue possibly be that the engine is sitting at a slight angle? That would prevent the gears from making full contact. You may have already considered this, but I though I'd throw it out there.
Old 12-18-2006, 12:23 AM
adarsh_007
My Feedback: (1)

Any more new news of the GST??????
What does the review say????

Just anxious to know!!!!!!!

Adarsh www.adarsh007.com
India
Old 12-18-2006, 08:39 AM
Misbehavin

While waiting for the parts I needed I pushed another review vehicle in front of the GST. I'll be picking the GST review back up soon.
Old 12-18-2006, 03:06 PM
duckedup

ORIGINAL: ThermalRD

I know it's been a few days, but... I can think of an idea that would solve the tuning issues: Bug New Era or Nova to come out with a smaller big block conversion! I'm surprised it hasn't happened yet.... There are plenty of .28-.32 motors that could push these things around just fine, there are several that are better than the NX76 IMO... I'd like to see that, then I'd consider getting a GST... but for right now, I'll stick to the trucks with the upgrade options, I can blow the doors (if it had doors..) off my buddies Nemmy with my MGT, he's stuck with the stock motor and that sucks IMO..

ok, all that and my only point was that the lack of engine options sux..
Old 12-18-2006, 03:45 PM
ThermalRD

The only .28's that will move the stock Gen, are highly modded. VERY expensive mills. If you want an example of what i mean, go strap a 5lb weight to your .28 powered MGT. Tell me how the performance is. The Genesis in stock form, with top shocks still on, is roughly 17lbs.... An MGT is probably around 11, or 12. But yes, i agree. We do need a motor mount, to open up the motor options. But still, its not a solution. CEN has a great looking truck in the GST. I'll never try it, based on their poor service alone.
Old 12-18-2006, 03:55 PM
duckedup

Isn't the GST closer to the Nemmy in weight? I know the Genesis is too heavy in stock form for a .28 (er..most .28's), kinda' sol there unless a few lbs are shaved, but I'd think the Nemmy would do alright with decent big block in the $200 range.... not a fix but at least there would be motor options... my MGT with the way I have it set up weighs a hair over 13..... It's not a fair comparison between the 2 trucks because of the $$ I've dumped into mine, he doesn't have that option...
Old 12-18-2006, 04:07 PM
ThermalRD

Not sure on the weight of the GST. I think its still a pig. Its only missing the top mount shocks. It also has 23mm hubs now, and the metal to metal brake setup. Still has reverse according to the CEN site. So its gotta be heavy still. I'd guess.... About 15+ lbs.
Old 12-18-2006, 04:26 PM
Misbehavin

The GST and Genesis both weigh in around 17-18 pounds. The Nemesis came in around 14. Keep in mind that the Nemesis lost more than just the top shocks to drop the weight. The most notable difference was the exclusion of the reversing components in the transmission. Considering the tranny is steel-based, that's a huge difference right there. Both the Genesis and GST have reverse installed.

The overall weight of the truck can be a huge drawback, both in strength and in the motor it requires to push it. However for those seeking "big", it's worth it I suppose.
Old 12-20-2006, 09:56 PM
crazytrainozzy

So what would you rate the GST out of 10?
Old 12-20-2006, 10:20 PM
Misbehavin

ORIGINAL: crazytrainozzy

So what would you rate the GST out of 10?
It's a little premature to discuss any sort of ratings, but if I did it would depend upon what you talk about. There's many categories in "ratings". I personally feel that ratings in general can be very misleading, if they're used alone. In many cases, I think way to much emphasis is placed on them. It's much more important to read an entire article and see the individual intricacies of a vehicle.

However, I imagine when I'm done the truck will show similar marks to the Genesis LE or Nemesis.
Old 12-25-2006, 03:46 AM
kenlhmaxx
My Feedback: (4)

wonder ..how will it hold the truck if i were to change all the shocks to XTM mammoth Shocks -(longer ones )

??
Old 12-30-2006, 12:20 AM
adarsh_007

Hi Everybody,

Merry Christmas to everybody.

Check out my GST. Had taken it to the field last sunday and ofcourse, there's no jump ramps or anything but basically tuned her up and just as everyone said, i too dint hear the 3rd gear shif, Will look into that later, but now i'm enjoying the truck. As this was the first run after running in the engine, i did not use the body.Our field is a dry mud field, had a tough time cleaning it after 3 tanks of run.

Here's some pics of my GST. Enjoy.

Regards,

Adarsh www.adarsh007.com
Bangalore, India.
Old 12-30-2006, 04:22 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Great pics... They ARE nice looking trucks..
Old 12-30-2006, 04:34 AM
adarsh_007

Hello,

Yes they ARE VERY nice looking truck, not only that, they are very sturdy too. I once jumped from a 4 feet high platform and went straight and hit the concrete compound wall, well nothing happened ( May be all monster trucks are this sturdy) this is my first monster truck. Looking at the truck on the whole, you'll see every part is very sturdy and strongly built, except the steering links (the one which connects both the wheels) looks very weak thou, (May be its sturdy just like other parts only it LOOKS weak)

Regards,

Adarsh www.adarsh007.com
Bangalore, India.
Old 12-30-2006, 05:37 AM
Chronic

Nice pics!

I'm warming up to the looks of the GST. I would have to ditch the stock body, but the truck itself looks pretty cool.
Old 12-30-2006, 09:15 PM
Misbehavin

Nice pics adarsh!

I jus finsihed beating on my GST and getting some video and pictures for the upcoming review. The truck ran well, although it's a little on the big side for the local track. It took a heck of a punding this time, and came through with flying colors! It took some serious tumbles, and at one point even smashed the top right into a cement block, hard. Nothing broke, and it lives to run another day!
Old 12-30-2006, 09:21 PM
duckedup

Nice, that good to hear [sm=thumbup.gif]... so, in your opinion, is this motor less trouble/easier to tune than the original NX76 ?
Old 12-30-2006, 11:26 PM
farknben

Wow nice pics......maybe I should think about getting one. Those are as nice as the pics on CEN's site.
Old 12-30-2006, 11:51 PM
Misbehavin

ORIGINAL: duckedup

Nice, that good to hear [sm=thumbup.gif]... so, in your opinion, is this motor less trouble/easier to tune than the original NX76 ?
I think the overall initial tuning window is much easier to hit. It seems to be a little more forgiving. However, the tank still does exhibit some leaning as it empties, so one should still make tuning adjustments with the tank half full, and the engine warmed up. This is typical of a large tank, and the only thing that would allieviate that is the use of a smaller tank.
Old 12-30-2006, 11:58 PM
gkcontra

I have hit my neighbor's flower planters which are made out of brick and the only damage I have is the aluminum hinge pin brace is bent. Didn't break any arms, hubs, or anything else
Old 12-31-2006, 02:27 PM
hollarR/C

I cant wait for your review, always enjoy them.

I have been a fan of the Genesis, but was turned off by the first few generations they came out with. The best was the LE because they addressed many of the issues and attempted to make it more bullet proof.

I just recently came accrossed the new GST and all I can say is I must be the only one who thinks the clown looking color sceme looks horrible. No big deal as I plan to purchase one soon from a LHS and will buy the Nemesis blue TVP's parts for it, then just buy an 1/8 scale truck body that I like.

If your looking for a hardcore back yard basher or track racer...buy another truck because this 17+ lb. beast is not it. I know many that complain about bashing this thing and breaking parts like arms, ect. and then think the trucks junk. Well I plan to enjoy the GST for what it is, a massive , high HP monster truck that turns heads and many those Savage fans who thinks their trucks are the biggest baddest around scared.

For hardcore bashing or fast blazin runs....my sons and I own over 8 gas powered and 3 electric cars & trucks, so Ive got that covered.

Misbehavin, Im very curious as to what gas you recommend for the GST, any user tips you want to give out for the best set-ups to use?
Has anyone that has any of the Genesis trucks upgraded theirs with after market parts like the HardCore racing, New Erra Ti or Al parts they've bought and recommend.

Any reader ride pictures..would love to see more Genesis pictures posted.

Thanks, Scott
Old 01-01-2007, 01:02 PM
Pete737

Are there any issues with third gear? I had mine open for a while and I think it should be shifting?

Pete

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.