Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Best Monster Truck Brand?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 05:46 PM
crazytrainozzy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Monster Truck Brand?

I am in the market for a nitro monster truck... my budget is about 500 $. I was wondering what is the best brand. Traxxas, HPI, Team Losi, CEN, Kyosho and any others you can think of. And if you could give me a reason WHY. Thanks for help.
Old 12-20-2006, 06:30 PM
ThermalRD

Default RE: Best Monster Truck Brand?

Thats just too hard to answer. There is no best brand out there... I can think of atleast one truck from each of those companies, that i would buy. Though i would put CEN at the bottom of the list, based on my experience with their customer service. Which is what you will find most in this thread. Personal experiences, and bias opinions. I would advise checking with what the LHS carries, and supports. Let us know what you decide.
Old 12-20-2006, 06:41 PM
mulisha_army
My Feedback: (1)

i would go traxxas, their monster trucks are really nice. i've never owned one but many of my friends have and they are all very tough.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:02 PM
broncobill
My Feedback: (11)

I think the two best MT's out there are the MGT and Savage. Both are very tough, and there are alot of parts out for both. I have had alot of experience with mt's, and those two come out on top.
Old 12-20-2006, 09:47 PM
ferrariowner123

there is no way to answer this question, because it all depends on what monster truck your in the market for. if you want a truck with plenty of hop-ups i would say the savage from HPI. if you want reliability i would go with the Monster GT. so what truck do you want in a monster truck?
Old 12-21-2006, 05:32 PM
[email protected]

don't go cen! man I replaced so many diff cups, not even going to start on that. Go with who your local shop suports just don't go cen. My next truck will be the MGT.
Old 12-21-2006, 08:43 PM
joeseif

HPI all the why
Old 12-21-2006, 09:39 PM
Nathan9492

yar HPI all the way, Although LOSI make real good trucks
Old 12-22-2006, 01:12 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't think there's really an answer to this question, or at least that it's not worded properly - but I would like to point out that IMO Hot Bodies makes some of the best quality stuff going. My Savage 25 was a 10 out of 10 quality-wise, but my X more like a 5. The Hot Bodies are up there like 9 or 10 I'd say.. I've had an E-zilla, Minizilla, and now a Lightning GT - and it's all been of the highest quality.. Unfortunately they seem to often be overpriced... This new Lightning GT10 is a good example - looks like a really fun truck, and surely good quality - but overpriced in the shops.. Here in Germany I only buy Hot Bodies stuff on auctions.. Would love to have that LGT10 though..
Old 12-22-2006, 11:26 AM
silverman1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Id base it on a couple of things, I was gonna say 3 things but it would probababally end up more. One if your going to want your parts right away when you break, which you will with the inevitable, tree, curb, or telephone pole jumping out into your way.

2. What your hobbyshop mostly stocks and sells, Traxxas, go traxxas, losi go losi, hpi go hpi, associated go associated, also considering they keep a good stock of parts on hand.

3. now if your a mail order guy like me with the nearest hobbyshop being 50 to 60 miles away only stocking brand x. Well you can be more selective.

4. Honestly, all of these trucks are very good, which makes it hard to go wrong with any of them. If your looking for more of a basher savage, or Mgt. If your looking for a good combo truck, basher/racer: Traxxas revo or Losi aftershock. I have found customer support for Losi, and Traxxas, superb. Hpi's support is also very good. I've never had to use associated's support, so I can't comment. Cen's support has been good to me also. I would not rule it out either.

Bottom line is they are all good. Its up to you.

good luck
Old 12-22-2006, 12:20 PM
Roscco

My suggestion would be....... Anything except the Warhead
Old 04-27-2007, 05:27 AM
srm60

I too am looking for a good Monster truck. A am debating the HPI or the Associated . Of the two which has the most features. Which is the toughest?
Old 04-27-2007, 06:15 AM
SFC K

I Chose the MGT because of the size of it and it is tough. It has many hop-ups available to satisfy the itch to be different. Has great support and is just plain awesome in my opinion, but that is my opinion.
Old 04-27-2007, 08:30 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

like everybody else said...get whatever your LHS(s) support(s).

Unless all they stock is T-maxx parts...then get something that isn't a t-maxx[&:]
Old 04-27-2007, 09:50 AM
pythonfan
My Feedback: (1)

Well as everybody has said its a hard question to answer.

I would have to say kyosho not because i own one but because of there support. I bought the truck 3 years ago and have only broken a few parts and every part was replaced no questions asked, and after the warranty expired if i needed parts i would just have to send the truck with recite and they gave me the parts free or charged very little. The only thing i have broken is a few gears, and one drive cup. A lot of people will be against kyosho because of the shy after market parts, but there are a lot of them, and with the reason u can only buy parts from them now, or if Ur lhs deals with kyosho America.

I have also owned Hot bodies, there first truck ever made, I have yet to brake one thing on the truck to date, the only thing that i have had issues with was the one way on the engine, so i called them up and they replaced it free. There part support is also limited but there are plenty of places still carrying the parts for there new trucks, and since the merged with hpi there stuff has gotten better.

I was in the market for a new mt to recently and wound up buying a team Lois muggy, so far i have beating the truck to hell and back and nothing major has broken, except the wing because i landed on it. There customer service is high but it could be better in some area's, But a lot of lhs now carries Lois so part should not be a problem.

I have owned traxxas and i would not recommend them, There support is the worst in my book, there answer for u if u need parts is to send it in, to pay for shipping, and then pay for the parts because they don't stand buy there stuff is not what i want in a company, And if u need advise they treat u like a little kid because u don't know Wat Ur doing like Ur a newb, but then again most of there market has been kids wanting there first truck. Like Lois a lot of lhs carry traxxas so parts should not be a problem, when i had my truck nothing broke except the engines would never work right, i went threw so many of them, that why i stay away from them now.

I have had a few Hpi's and there support is better than traxxas but it there is room for improvement. They treat u like everybody else, kind! Willing to help, Again most lhs carry parts for hpi so u should be in luck there.

I have had duratrax, but that's why i said HAD, there products are OK but they could be a lot better, but they back there stuff up with very good support i must say. Very helpful.

It all depends if u have a local hobby shop or u buy online, Are you looking for hard bashing extreme jumping, or just general bashing, driving around in soccer fields, a little jumping, Carling over stuff. Are u looking for something sporty or just plain tough?

If Ur looking for reliability strength, good service, a nice after market support, then i would say Monster Gt, Savage, Lst2.
Old 04-27-2007, 05:01 PM
padla

I was dead sure I'd buy a savage untill I got to try one. it's handling is horrible. it's a pain to work on. it's not that durable. it looks ugly and disproportional. that is when I decided to get a Losi LST2 and have not regretted that one bit.
Old 04-28-2007, 06:15 PM
CrazyMento

I say CEN becuase my GST 7.7 has been awesome, and CEN's customer service has been very nice to me. They are one of the few companies in this industry that actually take the time on the phone and talk to customers. Erik @ CEN has been a great help. But again, GST is only for experienced driver though.
Old 04-28-2007, 09:31 PM
C-Fraser..::HPI::..

Hpi 4 the Savay
gets u were u need to go((fake of course haha))
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu62175.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	674281