Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

"Hey, can i drive that.."

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 10:43 PM
carmatic1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: "Hey, can i drive that.."

hmm, i think along the same lines too, but the money i spend is on things that wont break, or things that are going to help with surviving crashes, if i can get my hands on parts like these, the more i spend on my truck the less likely its gonna break... i also do it by using a really low gearing and running on really wild terrain so it doesnt go fast enough to break anything in the first place, its got enough torque to make everyone driving it squeamish, and the runtimes go up also...

::edit:: hey lets hear it from the crawler guys on this, when someone happens to run into them which i think is super rare considering where these guys run their cars, do they let them drive it and try to get to the top of the pile of rocks etc etc
Old 01-26-2007, 11:55 PM
fga
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: carmatic1

hmm, i think along the same lines too, but the money i spend is on things that wont break, or things that are going to help with surviving crashes, if i can get my hands on parts like these, the more i spend on my truck the less likely its gonna break... i also do it by using a really low gearing and running on really wild terrain so it doesnt go fast enough to break anything in the first place, its got enough torque to make everyone driving it squeamish, and the runtimes go up also...

::edit:: hey lets hear it from the crawler guys on this, when someone happens to run into them which i think is super rare considering where these guys run their cars, do they let them drive it and try to get to the top of the pile of rocks etc etc
what if they get clumsy or excited and drop your radio? oh man... i only have a Futaba 3pm and i treat it like a baby. Can't imagine an even better radio.

I find recently that with the mini-electrics I don't mind some people taking a spin. A little kid will be watching (10 year olds, etc) and I'll offer and show him how the radio works (cheap dtx cookie cutter one.. you all know the one I'm talkng about, every RTR comes with it).

i figure they won't hurt anyone like driving my MGT into a leg or car door... and if they totally smash it, $150 for a whole new one.
Old 01-27-2007, 03:10 AM
ChuckDeez

I mostly let everyone drive my rc's. I especially let them do what ever they please with my emaxx. I get heartattacks when they drive my revo 3.3 though. One time, I let this guy drive my revo 3.3, and I told him to not full throttle because your not experienced enough. So he tells me I wont. He goes up the street and what does he do? he goes full throttle at me!! I quickly reached for the remote, but it was too late. My revo went underneath a parked truck. I was like, o man. I told him, what were you trying to do? I was going to brake, but i didn't know how. I have more stories due to letting lots of newbs wanting to drive, but never buy.
Old 01-27-2007, 11:01 AM
fga

ORIGINAL: ChuckDeez

I mostly let everyone drive my rc's. I especially let them do what ever they please with my emaxx. I get heartattacks when they drive my revo 3.3 though. One time, I let this guy drive my revo 3.3, and I told him to not full throttle because your not experienced enough. So he tells me I wont. He goes up the street and what does he do? he goes full throttle at me!! I quickly reached for the remote, but it was too late. My revo went underneath a parked truck. I was like, o man. I told him, what were you trying to do? I was going to brake, but i didn't know how. I have more stories due to letting lots of newbs wanting to drive, but never buy.
lucky he didn't hit someone's "pimp my ride ground effects"
Old 01-27-2007, 12:03 PM
mOnO n.s.G^

i wouldve slapped him
Old 01-27-2007, 04:04 PM
running_gag

What I hate worse is when I'm driving my tc4. little kid across the street sees me and runs to get his tyco. Me, I'm a nice guy. he brings his stuff out and I'm not going to make him cry with how slow his stuff is. So there I am, 19 turns running at close to 1/4 throttle for like ever. on the plus side my run times are real long that way.
Old 01-30-2007, 10:33 PM
carmatic1

eh... i thought that esc's get less less efficient if you run it at half throttle, or something, unless only some setups are like that....

as for dropping my radio, well the way i see it is that i compare it with mobile phones...people have been thru alot more excitement holding a phone to their ear loosely with one hand and they never drop it, as compared to firmly holding a controller with 2 hands... unless theyre panicking cuz the car's headed straight for them , or something, but its not a worry for me since my truck is so tiny nobody's gonna get nervous or too excited over it...
also, i make it a point to other people that they know what everything on the controller does before i hand it to them, and be extra specifc about the throttle being proportional and 'it works abit like a gun so if you push it forwards it makes the truck slow down'
Old 01-31-2007, 12:45 PM
fga

I have no sentimental feelings toward my phone.., i actually hate cell phones. I'd dive and roll to catch my transmitter though even risk some road rash if need be.
Old 01-31-2007, 01:58 PM
i like money

I just say if you have the money in you hand to fix anything that breaks give me the money I will hold it while you drive. that way no matter what he has payed and since most of the time nothing breaks I give him the money back when he gives me the controls back.
Old 01-31-2007, 07:36 PM
JUCD VPR

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I let anyone drive my RC trucks. Who cares it actually makes them want one after they drive mine. I mean really they can't do THAT much damage a few 5 dollar broken parts here and there won't kill you. Didn't your mothers ever teach you to share lol.
The first day my girlfriend drove my truck, she ran it straight into a parked truck lol. I thought it was hilarious lol
Old 01-31-2007, 09:36 PM
carmatic1

i just kind of really dont get it, i make my truck not break in the first place, so whoever drives it i dont care... sure its abit boring cuz its slower , but you could say its also boring cuz theres no risk of losing parts that cost $$$ to replace...
Old 01-31-2007, 09:43 PM
holinger91

yea some kid at my school just bought one and brought it to shop class.....drove it all over heck, broke it, and now since everyone knows ive got 9 of them....well it gets rather annoying. im considering letting some of them drive my vintage so i can overprice the damage tho some people just don't understand things tho.
Old 02-01-2007, 01:58 AM
pimptruck

I think i'd let people drive my E-mxx, I mean, I drove full speed into a tree and it survived, so what can they do. As long as there is no one else they can hit, i'd let them drive. I've never been asked, but then i've only had my truck since this christmas, and not played around any large groups of people.
Old 02-04-2007, 05:43 PM
2fast2slow

Yea i will let anyone drive my half race savage, I just tell them to wait one monent and then i turn the throttle down to about half way, so then they cant go full speed
Old 02-05-2007, 09:58 AM
mike54937

When I go out for a day of bashing, I like to be with friends that have their own or by myself. I have only had one person ask if they could drive my Warhead and I told him that it was still new and I myself was still trying to get it tuned just right and he was cool with that. Other than that, the only time I'm around other people is at the track and it seems like most people there have the understanding that you don't just ask to drive someones truck, if they want to let you drive, they will ask you if you wanna drive it.
Old 02-05-2007, 10:31 AM
carmatic1

yeah thats one good thing about a track, its actually ok to go up to someone and ask them to drive your car... gosh i wish i had a track out here....
Old 02-05-2007, 11:00 AM
MrN8

I've got an HPI Dash that I'll pull out if someone wants to drive something. I think it tops out at 10mph (if that) and it's easy to control.

The Rustler is too fast for beginners and I love my MGT too much to let anyone I don't know drive it.
Old 09-18-2007, 07:37 AM
nitrorcjunkie

I live across the street from a school complex, middle and elementary schools, and there's always a lot of people there, walking on the track, playin' roundball, etc. I inevitably draw a crowd. There's a drainage swale that is very similar to a snowboard halfpipe, over 1000 feet long, 6 feet deep, 40 feet wide. I run my Picco powered T-Maxx there and people see me ripping it up and think they can drive like I do. So, when they ask I say sure, hand over 40 bucks for the parts you will inevitably break and you can try. I've only had one taker, and he actually got the hang of it quickly and didn't break anything. (yes I gave him his cash back) So now I bring my RC18B with me and let the kids fool with it. One kid, after driving the 18, brought his dad with him. Dad drove for a while, and a few days later they were both back with their new vehicles they bought cause they liked mine ( an E-Savage and a Sportwerks Turmoil). So I influenced two new RC hobbyists, which is exactly how I got into the hobby.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:30 AM
ttoks

there have been only two people to ever drive any of my expensive glow trucks around other then my family members, but they were both people i trust, if someone wants to try i i have an old 1:10 scale buggy for people to use, it's takes a beating and never breaks, but now i have a radio with end point adjustment i can just use that to limit the throttle on my more expensive models so they can get a good feel for the modern trucks.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:51 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Depends on the car...

Xray NT1 ($500 kit with $1000 in engine/servos/upgrades, 1/10th on road - 0-50 in 2.5 secs) - NOT A CHANCE IN HELL MATE (simply too quick for most people, I've rolled it at 70kmh myself, if someone else did that, I don't know if I'd be responsible for my reaction)!
Xray XB8 with an RB S5 in it...hmmm, depends on the person, I might be persuaded if I was in a very good mood cos the car is tougher than Mr T.
Xray XT8 with RB TM928 ($640 kit with $400 engine) - Not a chance in hell mate!! It may be the toughest car I own, but the power is too much even for me, let alone a newb.
Savage X (stock engine) - Yeh, would let anyone have a go. Doesn't go fast enough to do any damage, pile o poo 4.1 engine. This is the one most people want to drive anyway.
New gasser FG Monster Hummer...Don't know yet, it's fast and heavy. Probably not. Which is a shame cos I'm sure that car is gonna draw bigger crowds than any I've ever owned before. I think I'll try the pricelist trick with that, when they see it's worth nearly $2000 they probably won't want to touch it.
Old 09-21-2007, 08:56 PM
SaVaGe MaN SS

I tell um you break it you buy it and i mean it when i say it.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:06 PM
SAVAGEJIM

I have much trepidition in simply handing over any RC to someone who does not have any experience with them at all. These things can be dangerous in the wrong hands. An RC, electric or nitro, moving at 30MPH will break your foot if it hits you. A 12lbf HPI Savage jumping and smaking someone on the side of the head can be deadly. I always say "no" unless I know they know their way aounrd RCs.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:15 PM
So Cal

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I let other people drive my stuff if i have seen them drive, or if they are a good friend and know thell pay to fix it. Other than that nope, nobody else drives them.....
Old 09-25-2007, 07:43 AM
SAVAGEJIM

Good point, as for friends I know who understand the costs and the power of these things, I will let them run about lightly. But as for some kids in the neighborhood who are not skilled at all, I will not let them try since their initial impulse is to try to drive hard like they see me doing. The result is my expensive RC being broken; worse yet, someone being hurt.