Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

Associated Monster Gt problems, newbie, please help

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Associated Monster Gt problems, newbie, please help

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 12:06 PM
squirrelmaster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Associated Monster Gt problems, newbie, please help

Hi, after many years of me wanting a r/c gas powered vehicle, I purchase this 1 week ago from tower, a monster gt truck. When it arrived, the glow plug only laster 2 starts and I still cannot get the engine right with the new glow plug I got from the local hobby shop (a L8 glow). Also as I was trying to adjust the idle, the spur gear popped! Is this all normal or am I just having bad luck? any one suggest a good spur gear? I noticed the clutch was metal and spur plastic, is there a reason for this? Also I have followed the directions or setting up the engine but I still cannot get it setup right. Thank you very much in advance!
Chad
squirrelmaster
Old 01-08-2007, 01:13 PM
fga
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Associated Monster Gt problems, newbie, please help

for 2 starts, you should still be in the break in process, which alot of engines will run "funny", perfectly normal.

did you even break it in, since you are already trying to tune it?

My mGT is the least maintenace thing i own. You have an excellent ruck there. Since i opurchased mine about 2-3 years ago, i have never stripped a spur gear.
Old 01-08-2007, 02:13 PM
badboy2
My Feedback: (13)

i think i burnt one spur since i got my mgt..when setting the needles its better if u have ur engine running and when u set ur idle needle try lookin at the barrel so that youll know if its too close or wide open..if u cant start the engine u prolly have it too close try to open it up a little bit then start from there once it starts..also make sure ur igniter is fully charged..
Old 01-08-2007, 02:28 PM
squirrelmaster

Yea that was what I was trying to do, is set the carb up for break in, but I had to try to adjust the idle as when I put the brakes on, it would die, even when I started it, I had to move the fine tune know on the remote to raise the idle for it to start. It is also really hard to start, takes about 45 minutes just to get it started. DO you think it's me or my settings on the motor? I followed the directions, I am running trinity break in fuel 20 % nitro, 18 % oil. I think what happened on the spur is my idle raised while I was trying to hold the truck with my foot, that is when I heard a loud pop and noticed the spur gear broke. Also I notice after it runs for a minute, it gets really fast (engine that is), after all of this, I have not even been able to play with it. Guess I need major help, uh? Local hobby shop is 1 hour away. Thanks for the help in advance!!
Old 01-08-2007, 02:46 PM
SOILWORK

Does the engine stall when you pull the glow ignitor off. The factory setting on my low speed needle was way off. It was set at seven turns from closed and thats what the manual says. I could'nt get my engine to run,evey time i pull the glow ignitor off it would stall, I called thunder tiger (engine manufacture) and they said three turns on the low speed and did not have any problems after that.
Old 01-08-2007, 03:33 PM
squirrelmaster

now that you bring it up, yes, I thought it was just the idle, I will try that. I can move the truck forward and reverse without any problem, you don't think I damaged the trans do you when I blew the spur gear, oh, when it when the vehicle was NOT moving, just reved high, it would do that, be fine and all of a sudden rev high, guess I am just nervous. Thanks, I will try all of these suggestions!
Old 01-08-2007, 05:13 PM
duckedup

3 turns out is way too lean for the LSN.. The low speed needle is supposed to be 6 1/2 out.. try 6 1/4, that's what I ran mine at and it ran great ... The HSN is supposed to be 2 3/4 out, I ran mine between 2 1/2 - 2 3/4 out depending on weather/climate changes..

Here is a setup sheet from AE - [link=http://www.teamassociated.com/racerhub/setup/MGTblank_input.pdf]Setup sheet (pdf)[/link]

Just be patient, motors can be a pita when they're new, mine was also but once I finally got it broke in, it was a breeze to tune.. good luck!
Old 01-08-2007, 06:33 PM
SOILWORK

I know what the manual says,but according to Thunder Tiger and my experience..6 1/2 turns is to rich,but that also depends on the climate and where you live.
Old 01-08-2007, 06:34 PM
squirrelmaster

Well since I have to replace the spur gear, would you recomend anything different? Like changing to steel vs plastic or changing the teeth number? I like to keep the original clutch for right now, since it is new. Thanks.
Old 01-08-2007, 06:43 PM
duckedup

Stick with plastic since the only option other than that is the RRP 54T steel.. Get 6 extra pegs so you have all the holes filled, tighten it all the way down and drive it a little easier.. if you're not comfortable with tightening it all the way down, (or have a hard time being a smooth driver) back it out 1/8 turn from tight but no more, should be just fine... I've only tore up one SG and that was because my mesh was off, totally my fault..

I know what the manual says,but according to Thunder Tiger and my experience..6 1/2 turns is to rich,but that also depends on the climate and where you live.
3 turns out on the LSN is way too lean no matter what climate you live in, even the .21 had the same carb settings, TT must have had your motor confused with another model....
Old 01-08-2007, 06:49 PM
SOILWORK

RRP makes a steel spur gear for the MGT. Did you check the engine mount screws? The screws have a habbit of coming loose, I used loctite on mine and have not had any issues with spurgear. also check your slipper clutch.
Old 01-08-2007, 06:51 PM
duckedup

There is one other steel spur besides the RRP, not sure what the brand is though, I've seen it on ebay.. It looks the same as the plastic SG's and uses the same pegs, I have no idea how it performs or how many teeth it has, also haven't heard any feedback on it.. You would also need to get a hardened CB if you were to get a steel SG..

edit.. Here is another option.. [link=http://search.stores.ebay.com/Bizarre-Hobbies_spur-gear_W0QQfciZQ2d1QQfclZ3QQfsnZBizarreQ20HobbiesQQf sooZ2QQfsopZ2QQfsubZ4772675QQftsZ2QQsaselZ27423047 9QQsofpZ0]Delrin SG's[/link] ...

I still say stick with stock though, even if they do strip, they're cheap to replace.. better to have that gear go than something inside you tranny IMO..
Old 01-08-2007, 06:56 PM
SOILWORK

Thats wierd that you mentioned the pegs for the spur gear,mine didn't have any pegs in the spur gear and one day someone told me about the pegs that go in the holes in the spur gear. I guess the guy who assembled my truck at AE must of had a hangover and forgot to put them in

ORIGINAL: duckedup

Stick with plastic since the only option other than that is the RRP 54T steel.. Get 6 extra pegs so you have all the holes filled, tighten it all the way down and drive it a little easier.. if you're not comfortable with tightening it all the way down, (or have a hard time being a smooth driver) back it out 1/8 turn from tight but no more, should be just fine... I've only tore up one SG and that was because my mesh was off, totally my fault..

3 turns out on the LSN is way too lean no matter what climate you live in, even the .21 had the same carb settings, TT must have had your motor confused with another model....
Old 01-08-2007, 06:59 PM
duckedup

ORIGINAL: SOILWORK

Thats wierd that you mentioned the pegs for the spur gear,mine didn't have any pegs in the spur gear and one day someone told me about the pegs that go in the holes in the spur gear. I guess the guy who assembled my truck at AE must of had a hangover and forgot to put them in

ORIGINAL: duckedup

You are not the 1st guy to bring that up... Over at the MGT forum there was a topic about the same thing recently.. Looks like it's about a 50/50 chance that your truck will come with them.. They are supposed to be there (6 stock) but it seems there are some slackers working for AE... There is no point in a slipper without the pegs..
Old 01-08-2007, 08:05 PM
squirrelmaster

I will stick with plastic. Now if I can get the engine to stay started and the idle correct I will be in buisness. Also is the L8 glow plug ok to use? I am using 20 % nitro 18 % oil break in fuel by trinity. Thanks.
Old 01-09-2007, 02:39 AM
badboy2
My Feedback: (13)

do u have the monster brew nitro?its hard to tune with that nitro coz of too much oil in it..ive had a hard time tuning an engine with that monster brew so i switched to 30% nitro it was one of the best decision i made to run my engines..for spur gears kimbrough is a nice one too..try getting os8 and if u want to stick with 20% nitro try to the regular trinity brand or something..i think the monster brew is good only after breaking in your engine..it messes up the setting coz it runs so cold u dont know if ur needles are set too lean or rich..
u said when u hit brakes it dies..your idle must be fully closed then..try to adjust the idle while u are hitting brakes on your radio..then leave at least 1mm ..it dies coz its cutting the fuel off..the thunder tiger engines are the easiest engine to tune in my experience..
Old 01-09-2007, 04:49 AM
mcstarr25

follow the instructions. the .28 in the mgt so far for me has been a breeze to tune, compared to the old 15 in my rc10, this new mgt motor is worlds better and holds a tune pretty damn good

plan on gettin the LRP or OS .30 in april
Old 01-09-2007, 10:07 AM
squirrelmaster

Yea, my fuel is trinity break in fuel, so you think that might be some of my problem there? And I take it os8 is a glow plug? Sorry for the dumb questions, but I am new to this, THank you for all of your help.
Old 01-09-2007, 10:37 AM
jombo

ORIGINAL: squirrelmaster

Yea, my fuel is trinity break in fuel, so you think that might be some of my problem there? And I take it os8 is a glow plug? Sorry for the dumb questions, but I am new to this, THank you for all of your help.

i dont know about you but i had bad luck with that fuel. get rid of it and get some decent 20% morgan ,sidewinder ,odonell fuel 12%oil and you will be fine. brake in fuel is suppose to be used for 2 tanks and not good for anything else.personally with all these new engines out there i dont think breakin fuel is needed. but someone will correct me i'm sure.
Old 01-09-2007, 10:39 AM
jombo

i'll check my settings so you can start there, i just broke mine in this weekend..
Old 01-09-2007, 10:44 AM
jombo

my lsn is at 1/16'' past flush with the housing, and the hsn is 3-1/4 turns out. now when you swich from breakin fuel to normal fuel it will run strange, dont know how to decribe it but it will and it will run fine after 2 or 3 tanks after that
good luck...
Old 01-09-2007, 12:19 PM
squirrelmaster

Thanks for the info, I just noticed something weird, the bad glow plug I burnt first day is NOT mc59,. it was a A3, everything I have read says stock is mc59, umm? anyway, just did a order and got me a couple of mc59 and 8 glow plugs and a couple of spur gears. What fuel do you recommend? I will pick that up at a local hobby shop (found one 30 minutes away now). Should I stay at 20 % or more? Also do you think the trinity break in fuel was some of the problems I was having keeping the thing running? Thanks.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:28 PM
jombo

yes, the breakin fuel has castor oil which is good but for these engines is not nessesary.i like sidewinder 20% with12% oil but have found that morgan is ok with this engine. a3 i think is for 12 to18 size engines but have used it in some 21 with no problems. but the 8 and mc 59 should be fine. the breakin fuel i believe is 20% so i would stick with 20% fuel .
Old 01-09-2007, 12:31 PM
jombo

also the breakin fuel will make your engine run hotter,so i think thats why it burned the plug. i would recommend a temp gun.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:51 PM
squirrelmaster

Ok, so would you guys keep the fuel or get some new stuff?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.