Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

Help! Buildin my own RC from scratch

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Help! Buildin my own RC from scratch

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 02:00 AM
sumant23

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Buildin my own RC from scratch

Ok, i am completely new to RC cars and MT's. My friends and I are planning to build an RC truck, for a technical event in my college. The truck has to traverse a path having various obstacles, in the least amt of time. We have decided on an electric RC. Cd u fellas help me out, like hoe to start and go about it?
Thanks
Old 01-21-2007, 02:51 AM
Ken448

Default RE: Help! Buildin my own RC from scratch

is there a budget? What are the specific rules?
Old 01-21-2007, 04:46 AM
xtremraptor
My Feedback: (24)

i build rock crawlers from scratch. check out this site, these guys build trucks from scratch all the time. might give you some good ideas to start with

[link=http://www.rccrawler.com/]RCCrawler[/link]

i would start with the body your gonna use, that way you know what size dimensions you have to work with.

next to the wheelbase, figure out diff mounting (making your own gears?), then onto the arms after you decide your desired wheelbase and steering system.

you'll need a chassis to connect the front and rear ends together. carbon fiber or aluminum plate (3mm or better)

i think the hardest part is gonne be designing a tranny that will work exactly the way you want it. not impossible at all, just gonna take some thought. if you go 1/10 scale i suggest e-maxx tranny, rugged and 2 speed. if your going with a smaller style use a Stampede tranny, very tough. unless of course you are required to build your own

after that it's just mounting up some electronics and balancing everything out for a level well handling ride

good luck....
Old 01-21-2007, 08:10 AM
Chronic

Since this is a school project, I doubt a nice body or a two speed transmission are things you should worry yourself with. I would order a complete front and rear diff and suspension setups from Ebay and go from there. That is where the majority of time would be spent if fabbing it completely from scratch. Instead you could just take two RTR assemblies and mod them enough to be considered your own design. It's really easy to build a simple pan chassis RC, but you need to clarify where the line is drawn regarding what they consider to be "scratch built". I would personally use as many off the shelf parts as the rules allow, since this is for a grade and not your personal enjoyment.

That's what most of those rock crawlers basically are, off the shelf parts from a bunch of different trucks joined together by a custom frame...