Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

glow question, maybe.

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 08:44 PM
SaucerHead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default glow question, maybe.

Hey, still breaking in my MGT. Went throught first tank without being able to take the glow plug ignitor off the glow plug without it dying. Figured it just needed to get used to it. I had adjusted the high and low speed needle a little richer than factory like the manual said to. On the beginning of the second tank i still couldnt take the glow plug ignitor off without dying. How rich were the factory settings because i just went 1/8 turn CC on high and low. Maybe i shouldnt have done that? well. i've tried putting them about 4/8 turn Clockwise but still stalls. The glow plug is fine and so is the ignitor. Its a little hard for me to do a well break in without the car staying on. More than likely a tuning error on my part, but it has been a while since i've been in RC. Any suggestions? I checked the fuel tubing and carb for leaks, none of that. OH, and there seems to still be an excess of goop coming out of the muffle outlet. Way too rich to burn maybe? If so then i guess i need to go a turn or 2 clockwise. Any input would awesome. Im having trouble [&o] lol. I still love it though.
Old 03-11-2007, 09:04 PM
Alteramod

Default RE: glow question, maybe.

Well.. from my past experience, I never mess with the low speed needle. The high speed I did turn out 1/4 turn CC to richen it for the break in and it stayed running. Try getting it back to where they had it. Not sure but the manual pry says that (Ill post if I can find mine lol) Anyways, if that dont work replace your glow plug. Some wont last long at all. I had that prob with my ofna buggy and just replaced the glow plug and it cured the prob.
Old 03-11-2007, 09:07 PM
SaucerHead

Yea i was thinkin that too. Im gonna reset to factory carb settings as best i can and buy some new fuel and a glow plug tomorrow morning and try it out. I'll post results.
Old 03-11-2007, 09:08 PM
Alteramod

Ok... the factory setting for the low speed is 6 1/2 to 6 3/4 out. The High speed ... take that to 3 out and try that.
Old 03-12-2007, 12:51 PM
SaucerHead

Well, low and behold, the glow starter just died. For good. OMW to hobby store right now to buy another one. Gonna buy one that with aligator clips that'll hook up to my starter box battery. Maybe i'll have some better luck out of it.
Old 03-12-2007, 07:24 PM
webdr

What kind of glow starter do you have? You say it died.....died as in broke? Is it in need of a charge (yea stupid question but just making sure)

I found that my low speed was almost 1.5 turns leaner than the factory said it would be. My HSN is almost 1/2 turn leaner than they said it should be and mine runs like a raped date....in fact its still a little rich. IMO, from personal experience, The recommended setting should be thrown out the window and you tune it to run best by learning what it does...
I dont know about you but this MGT was my 1st nitro car and Ive learned so much in 1 month about tuning these things (still a rookie)
Old 03-12-2007, 09:49 PM
SaucerHead

LoL yea. I had charged it all last nite but the next morning it wasn't working so im thinking its broke. I just ordered a glow clip with banana clips to hook up to my battery (figured it'd last longer). Also ordered some OS #8's and 4 sets of RPM A-arms since i was getting a discount anyway. So all that should be here friday and i'll give it another go. Yea i've decided the factory settings on mine are retarted so.....as long as i can get it to idle without the glow ignitor in it then i'll start from there. But it seems to be the hard part, getting there

But as far as nitro, my first car was a factory team Rc10 GT. I built the car, put in a os .12cvr (bump) and a radio system and everything went Perfect. It was text book easy break in and a year and a half later it still runs like a dream. This is my first RTR and its throwin' me for a loop! I can't get this thing to even get it to idle without the glow plug! hehe. Its frustrating but it takes time. Until then im gonna break down the RC10 and give it a once through. (thinkin about selling it).

Nitro rules.